Science Forums

Migraine attack

Tormod

On Friday I suffered a strange attack. When I arrived at work, around 8 AM, I had a strange sensation in my body. I felt slightly "elevated" (for lack of a better word) and there was a tingling in my arms, especially my hands.

Around 10 I started seeing lights fly around my eyes. It was really strange. I could look directly at an object and it would fade in and out of view - yet I could see it all the time. It was as if some of my nerve cells were fading in and out. I also started to lose my ability to concentrate and felt really weird (well, so what else is new).

Around 12 things got bad. My speech got slurry and I lost words. I couldn't figure out how to say things. I had to stop using the phone because I couldn't complete sentences. Even stranger, I wrote a couple of e-mails but when I read them to spell-check I couldn't understand a word of what I'd written. It was all gobbledygook. I'd swapped words around and mistyped things completely. I also used words which are not listed in my dictionary (like "prtykui" instead of "ordinary" etc).

I also lost all sensation in my right hand. The weird thing was that I lost it in one finger at a time...first the thumb, then the index etc. It happened twice, then suddenly my left leg went numb and came back.

Around 1 pm I went into a colleague's office and said I wasn't feeling well (actually, *tried* to say I wasn't feeling well) and she realized something very wrong was going on. She made me call my doctor and I had big problems explaining to my doctor's receptionist what was going on, but they told me just to come on down. Another colleague just dropped everything in his hands and rushed me there in his car (I have great colleagues!).

Ah. Doctor's office. Well, sat around and waited for an hour while a little girl was trying to blow my eardrums by banging on every toy in the waiting area. My body just wanted to sleep, but my head hurt so bad I couldn't stop thinking about it. When I finally got into the doctor's office I must have looked like a complete wreck. She (not my regular doc, however, because of vacation) called a neurologist and the first thing they asked me was had I taken any drugs (which I hadn't, although it probably both looked like it and felt like it). So she tested my reflexes and breathing and blood pressure and took blood samples but everything was a-okay.

So she rushed me off to a hospital in a taxi to do a CT scan, which took hours of waiting and my head was still hurting real bad and they took about half my blood away to test it. Then they finally did the CT and I was officially registered as a patient and even assigned a bed (which they'd have to find later because I would have to sleep in the corridors, that's Norwegian welfare for you).

Anyways, the CT scan showed nothing out of the ordinary so in the end they sent me home again. Well, actually I'm on "leave" from the hospital so I have to go back there tomorrow morning and if they have found anything wrong in my tests they'll commit me for a week to find out what's up. I don't think it's likely but keep your fingers crossed (or not, depending).

Well, no moral to this story except I have no idea what hit me. They implied at the hospital that it sounded like a really bad migraine attack but I didn't have all of the requried symptoms for that (like throwing up or being shy of light). I must admit it was a very scary experience and if nothing else it is a sign that I have been working the shop too hard lately. Maybe I just need more of that holiday thing...

If any of you folks recognize the symptoms I had I'd be excited to hear what they are. I read a migraine brochure and it seems that in rare cases patients see an "aura" around things, and have visual disturbances etc.

I'll keep the interested among you updated and I hope everything just goes well from here.

I suffered with migraine for years. No fun.

My symptoms were, typically -

sensitive to sounds

upset stomach/nausea

centrallized raging headache

occasionally the 'aura' syndrome, most usually spots though

usually dizziness

often slurred speech

I never tried to write or type during an attack. The migraine would usually last between 12-72 hours. Once I was properly diagnosed and learned my "triggers", they were easier to deal with, though not fun. I went through a battery of neuro tests, journaling, and drugs to determine what the best course of action was for me, as everyone is different. Most effective drug was Imitrex, and it had the least side effects for me. But that one only worked if I could take it BEFORE the migraine really started, usually at the first sign of a migraine worked best.

I have not had a migraine since the first week of January. I started seeing a chiropracter and haven't had a single migraine symptom since. I don't think they are miracle docs, but I know my QOL has greatly improved since I started treatment. He is a 'total wellness' proponent though, so that might also be making a difference. All the children go there as well, and haven't had to make a single pediatric visit since then, which is pretty darn amazing with 6 children. Just a thought, not trying to sell you on chiropractic.

Hope all works out well at the hospital, and please keep us posted!!

hope you're alright Tormod, i'll say my prayers for ya' i know howmigraines are too 'cause i've had some fairly bad ones before but i've rarely used more than aspirin to try and aleviate it because i don't like taking much medication. i'm not really sure how i feel about chiropractors like irish was talking about but i do agree with massage therapy( i took courses in that) because basically by receiving relief to areas like the neck and spine it increases correct alignment which helps for blood and oxygen flow to the brain. also, have you possibly ever had your nose broken or any septum damage, these can also be a cause for migraine's, my friend has an indented septum and he can't always breathe properly which causes less oxygen to the brain and he receives migraines from that. i believe that the alignment of the spine and neck is why irish might like her chiropracter but i just don't personally agree with the cracking of the joints too often, elsewise you have to do it more and more often so you might study up on massage therapy- also ask your Dr. what they think about the things i've mentioned.

I just came back from a day at the hospital. I was a bit shocked when the doctor on duty told me they have three working theories:

1) The attack may be an early warning for a brain stroke

2) I may have some sort of epilepsy

3) I may have some form of migraine (but the symptoms don't fully match the requirements so they're a bit baffled).

Obviously, the first option sort of took me by surprise. She asked if I have had any history of brain stroke in the family and as a matter of fact my maternal grandmother died from one at 38 and my mom's cousin died of a similar problem in her thirties, too.

The rest of the day was just spent sitting in a chair waiting in line for the magnetic resonator tests they want to do. The doc said they will study the veins in my chest and neck to see if there could be a problem with the blood supply to the brain. The CT scan was negative so I don't have a blood clot or whatever in my brain. The symptoms I had on Friday are all indicative of a stroke-like attack in the front part of the brain (because I lost articulation, couldn't write, had blurred vision etc).

There must be a long line for MR at this particular hospital as I sat there the entire day and all they did after I talked to the doc was to give me a blood thinning pill of some kind. One funny thing happened - this old guy, with a bloody eye and funny walk (this is the neurology wing, after all) sat down next to me and eyed me with that read eye and asked if I had "just borrowed a mobile phone from his room that morning". He absolutely insisted that I showed him my mobile phone (which obviously did not look like his, unless he also has a Hypography "H"-logo on it) and started jabbering about the young people of today bla bla bla). Sheesh.

So tomorrow I've got to be back there for another day of endless waiting. I've stocked up on magazines etc so hopefully I'll be better prepared for the waiting game. Luckily they had a lounge with a 1-channel TV and they showed the incredibly exciting sport called "synchronous diving" or something (for men). Maybe it will be the Gold Finals in synchronous bikini (not for men) tomorrow...would suit my mood better. Maybe my red-eyed friend will be there and suspect me of having stolen his pacemaker. Who knows, maybe I am guilty.

Guess I should be happy that they're doing their best to diagnosis what happened.

Thanks for your concern folks, I am trying to stay low and not get too busy with anything just yet.

you said in your last paragraph that you were preparing for the "waiting game", very sorry to awaken you to this but when referring to a hospital that is the incorrect terminology, it's actually called the "killing game"------- isn't it just killing you sitting there with old people with red eyes harassing you?

hey if you get his pacemaker you could sell it on E-bay

Sorry to hear about your problems. I hope the best outcome for you. I am no Dr, but I play one whenever I can get away with it! :-) But as you say, it does not sound like a migraine to me. But then I have never had one that I am aware of. I do associate Migraine with "pain" of some type. Everyone I know that has had them refers to such.

My only suggestion from the experience my S.O had, is to keep trying different Drs (if your system allows) till you find one with experience in your specific symptoms. She was repeatedly told it was an inner ear problem, proabably viral. Turned out to be a pinched nerve. Even after CAT scans and pervious MRI. It took a Dr that had enough expereince in her particular problem that it was identified and brought under control. When she found the "right one" it was immediately obvious.

Now, should I also pray for you? Assuming there actually is this all powerful all knowing god, that had already decided that you sshould be allowed to have this problem. Why would he listen to me telling him he was wrong in that decision?

What an utterly absurd concept.

Or maybe god runs a democracy? Maybe he is wating for a quaroum of people to vote/ pray in your favor? What is the critical mass needed?

No I will hold out that medical science properly applied is your ONLY choice.

Well that and eye of newt!

Originally posted by: Freethinker

Now, should I also pray for you? Assuming there actually is this all powerful all knowing god, that had already decided that you sshould be allowed to have this problem. Why would he listen to me telling him he was wrong in that decision?

Don't. I'll end up on the VIP List for Hell.

Or maybe god runs a democracy? Maybe he is wating for a quaroum of people to vote/ pray in your favor? What is the critical mass needed?

For me? I'd say let's down a couple of Maker's Mark and call it quits. If that's not enough I'm probably in deep trouble as it is.

No I will hold out that medical science properly applied is your ONLY choice.

Well that and eye of newt!

Thanks, pal.

Originally posted by: Uncle Martin

Well, when I read the list of symptoms,.... a stroke was what first occurred to me. I hope I'm wrong. Good luck pal, we're wishing you all the best.

Thanks, Unc. I asked the doc...I mean, I'm only 33...and she admitted it was a bit early. But then again people have strokes in their twenties. That the possibility is even there is, to be honest, terrifying. I am losing sleep tonight, hopefully I can borrow a bed at the hospital tomorrow.

Should have stopped working in IT 5 years ago when I realized it was a one-way road down the drain. Now I'll probably end up as one of those self-inflicted poor. But then again I could cultivate a cigar band collection.

Seriously though, things like this makes one stop and think once or twice about where this thing called life is heading.

If diagnosed early, a propensity for stroke can be treated quite successfully. No permanent damage now, so things look promising. It could also be something much less scary. I've never experienced anything serious personally, but I did go through a life threatening battle with cancer with my wife, so I can relate to how this type of thing is a bit of a wake up call. Makes you review all of the choices you've made, what could have been done differently,... etc.

Try not to think of worst case scenarios until you have a definitive dianosis. Good luck and CHEERS!!

It sounds to me much like my friend Jenn. SHe began suffering from mild epillepsy from 16,well it was diagnosed at 16; she likly suffered from small attacks for years prior to the big one she had at my house.

Her symptoms;

Memory occasionally foggy; she could remember things on tuesday, forget them wednsday, rembmer them thursday.

Sudden loss of concentration; she would be listening then she would simply 'lock up' and couldn't remember anything said in the past 'X' minutes.

Lost time; she once spend close to 15 minuts reading the same page on a book because she 'locked up'

Finally she had an attack where her "legs turned to rubber" her vision went spotty, her body went totally limp and she 'lost time'(my friend, who was her boyfriend, and I watched her curiously for a few minutes before she blinked out of it), spouted some gibberish speach that sounded oddly like a growling animal then was back to normal shortly after and thinking we had played a trick on her. About ten minutes later she had an actual 'seizure' convulsing on the floor and teeth chattering.

I would suggest you ask them to hook you up to an EEG for the few hours you are waiting; if it is a epilepsy then there will likely be a few minor bouts of chatic brain activity over the course of several hours.

The did an EEG today and it was fine. They also did a strobe light test to try to trigger an epilepsy attack so I hope they have ruled that one out by now.

Other than that it was another quite uneventful day at the hospital, have to go back tomorrow for something called a "doppler" test where they measure the bloodstream going in and out of the neck veins. They were supposed to do it today but they got the schedule mixed up so I missed it.

Originally posted by: Freethinker

In the begining there was Oak and Grain! And it was good.

Hah, no true religion would offer more than ONE TRUE creation story. So I'll have to arrest you and say in the beginning was peat and barley. The alternatives are only hoaxes.

Okay, finally some good news.

I still haven't had the MR test which will be the final test (hopefully), but I had a doppler test (ie, ultrasound test of the veins in the neck) and this is what the doc said today:

1) I do not have signs of epilepsy

2) I do not have migraine

...and every test they did showed absolutely nothing wrong. So I'm technically ship shape.

BUT obviously not, since I had the incident on Friday. So what the doc said about that was that it was a form of migraine attack in that the veins which supply oxygen to the brain were contracted and the supply was distorted so that certain parts of the brain did not get enough of it. This caused the slurry speech, the loss of writing ability, the lack of concentration, the flying lights, the lack of feeling in my hands and legs, headache, tingling, clumsyness, etc. The attack was surprisingly long-lasting and they have taken it very seriously.

The very good news is that I do not seem to have a disease of any kind. They are "confident" about that but will await the results of the MR test which will take place sometime next week or so. I still feel the repercussions of the attack and have occasional speech problems and headaches, but the doc said it is not uncommon because the experience of such an attack is rather frightening and it takes time to come to terms with it.

So she said to stay away from work this week and the next, so I suddenly have some free time on my hands. (Which by the way is the title of an excellent fusion guitar record by John Scofield).

She warned me to slow down and take things a day at a time now, not start any big projects etc etc so I figure I better listen to her.

Thanks to all for your concern. Yvonne and I are of course very happy and relieved that this seems to be a one-shot event and not something which requires major treatment.