Science Forums

I LOVE this site, but...

Guido

Up to 757MB. Every action I take on this website (reply to threads, view threads, etc.) causes it to rise. :eek:

Well if you are using 757 MB of page file as memory, every thing you do is going to be slow. Try closing a few windows. If you are like a friend of mine who has to open a new page every time he clicks on a link then you are going to have trouble. You obvioulsy don't understand that computers aren't bulletin boards. Or maybe they are, but imagining tacking 1 pound weights up to the board. After you tack up about 5 the thing is going to start drooping. Add a couple more and the board will crash.

That and get a better comp. The one I use has 2 gig of ram and I don't have any problems.

Thanks for the advice.

Getting a new computer is like getting a new car because there's a single road in town that's too bumpy.

I was wondering if A) the road is scheduled for repair soon, or :eek: there is a "trick" to driving smoothly on this road.

Seems like the answers are No and No.

I won't buy a new car when the thousands of other roads are perfectly smooth. And I don't expect anyone to repair the road when no one else is having a problem.

I guess it's time to get the map out. :(

...I was wondering if ...there is a "trick" to driving smoothly on this road...(

There may be a trick or two that will help.

Check your browser options for internet and security.

You can select to avoid "cookies" and other things that some browsers do that may consume RAM.

Increasing security can have similar effects.

Getting a pop-up stopper application may help.

Using a less technoheavy browser may also help, as the websites can only do what the browser is capable of implementing (typically).

I've never had a problem with this site i couldn't trace back to my ISP (they upraded their DNS servers and for the longest time that was screwing it RIGHT UP).

Try using Mozilla firefox, all the funtionality of opera but designed for an x86 PC instead of a Power-PC core.

I use mozilla firefox, on a P4 2.4 Ghz w/ 1GB ram. I also have manually set my swap file to be on a seperate physical drive from my main OS to increse performance in that area.

(note the following is for advanced/power users only and may make your system unstable if done improperly) To adjust your Swap file manually in XP SP2, go to controll panel>system> "advanced" tab> click the settings button under "performance:>"advanced" tab>clikck "change" under "virtual memory".

I have my swap set to 768 megs(minimum and maximum), or roughly 75% of my total RAM.

Works just dandy for me.

What's with all this advertisement all of a sudden? :lightning

Is it just me or did this new system of advertisement get implemented in the last month or so.

I see tons of links on words and I really don't care to have them screw with my viewing of the website.

Was this put in to make people pay for membership?

We are trying a new advertising format in which a few words on each page will be linked to an advertiser. We hope to have revenue with which to continue Hypography's existance and to possibly increase our functionality. It has only been in effect for a week or so, and if we find that it is not functioning well, or that it is too intrusive, we will search for another way to continue to pay for this website. It is not an attempt to force people to pay for membership, merely a trial of another advertising format.

You can find information about this advertising here:http://www.kontera.com

Here is an example of a forum that uses it:

http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/inde...howtopic=89784

Read their info here:

http://www.phpfreaks.com/ulinks.php

What's with all this advertisement all of a sudden? :confused:

Is it just me or did this new system of advertisement get implemented in the last month or so.

I see tons of links on words and I really don't care to have them screw with my viewing of the website.

Was this put in to make people pay for membership?

"Tons of links on words" is not true. You'll see *four* underlined links on each page. It can't screw up your viewing of the website, unless you're seeing something I don't (if so, please upload a screendump as an attachment).

We certainly encourage people to pay for subscriptions (see my signature) - starting at $10/year you get rid of all ads - but until we have enough subscribers, probably never, we need to finance the running of the site (servers, software etc). Running Hypography is not free.

At the moment we have three kinds of ads: Google ads (which occasionally are replaced with ads from another network if Google has no ads to display), popups (only displayed for non-logged in users), and the AdLinks which are the underlined links. I think this is a fair trade-off for letting the forums be free for all.

Like pgrmdave said, we are trying this out during April and if it does not work too well, we will consider removing it, or perhaps display them for non-registered surfers only.

As for the technical issues some people are experiencing - I will inform the Kontera representative about this.

• 2 weeks later...
My machine froze and now I've got these ****ing adverts back again, does anyone know where the kill 'em link has gone?

Watch your language, please. Hover over an Adlink, click on the "What's this" link and read the instructions on the page you get.

I don't have a direct link because I can't see the ads on my Mac, sorry.

Watch your language, please. Hover over an Adlink, click on the "What's this" link and read the instructions on the page you get.

I don't have a direct link because I can't see the ads on my Mac, sorry.

No wonder you only sleep 4 hours Tormod...:) >>>> :) :D