Science Forums

BrokeBack Mountain

Rebiu

BrokeBack Mountain.

Is it a realistic story or implausible fiction?

Is there something about two cowboys in quiet mountain solitude that leads to passion as well as a persistent intense yearning for more of the pleasures so forbidden by society.

Does any man who flips his wife like a BignTasty fantasize about Jack Twist?

I must admit I loved the movie, even though I had decided I wasn't going to like it. :shrug:

It does touch upon some less solid souls, like the schoolmaster at one of the actresses' alma mater, who said that they did not want to be connected with the movie (duh...how would they have been unless they made that comment..).

Gay behaviour between cowboys? I think it's as much a reality in that community as any other.

Otherwise it's a really tragic story and also a work of fiction.

eh, it's realistic enough. Why can't a couple a good ol' boys from cow country be secret gay lovers?

I thought it was a pretty good movie. I had no idea what it was about when I first sat down to watch it. Then came that one scene where they out of nowhere start going at it in the tent..... I was really disturbed at first. but probably because I wasn't expecting it at all.

BrokeBack Mountain.

Is it a realistic story or implausible fiction?

Is there something about two cowboys in quiet mountain solitude that leads to passion as well as a persistent intense yearning for more of the pleasures so forbidden by society.

Does any man who flips his wife like a BignTasty fantasize about Jack Twist?

Why don't you tell us what you think?

Here's what Willie thinks:

Cowboys are frequently secretly fond of each other, what did you think those saddles and boots was about? There's many a cowboy who don't understand the way that he feels towards his brother, inside every cowboy there's a lady who'd love to slip out.

Why don't you tell us what you think?

Here's what Willie thinks:

Interesting.

I think the most important aspect of the film was the extremely violent end that Jack met. We live in a culture that tells itself it is tolerant and then threatens violence to those that threaten its comfort. Why would anyone attack a homosexual? It seems a fresh wave of anti homo sentiment passed over this country with the protection of marriage crowd. Homosexuals are not a threat to anyone or anything. They have always been around and always will be. The question is how many of us will try to suppress them with violent rhetoric and action.

You're personifying an abstract concept. "Culture" doesn't tell itself anything. It is a concept in your own mind, so it sounds like you are troubled by issues around "you," and you are trying give them strength by broadening them into this abstract and broader concept called culture.

Regardless of where it exists, the why of it all is simple. Fear, ignorance, and hatred (in that order, too).

I have not seen this movie, but I want to.

I do NOT however, want to watch it.

I have gay friends, and do not consider myself a homophobe, but frank depictions of man-sex make me pretty uncomfortable. The same is not nessecarily true of two girls (but I don't get the charge out of it that some do.)

Of course, other people's rights are not contingent upon my comfort. But it still makes me feel a bit guilty.

TFS

I didnt want to watch the movie to begin with. But who cares about them being gay, its a love story. A hella good one to say too. Other love storys that hollywood produces cant even compare next to that movie. it trancends sexual orientation, its about love, which really doesnt know boundries.

I have not seen this movie, but I want to.

I do NOT however, want to watch it.

I have gay friends, and do not consider myself a homophobe, but frank depictions of man-sex make me pretty uncomfortable. The same is not nessecarily true of two girls (but I don't get the charge out of it that some do.)

Of course, other people's rights are not contingent upon my comfort. But it still makes me feel a bit guilty.

TFS

There is only on scene of simulated intercourse, though I will be haunted by Jacks grunts forever, and it is pretty short. I feel the same way especially when my wife really enjoyed the movie and keeps making comments about me and my friends.

My wife rented it. We watched it. It was a riveting story. The scenery was awesome. The story was heart-wrenching. It wasn't about gay sex per se, it was about lonliness and desperation. Like BluesMan said, it was hard core tragedy, in a Shakespearian sense.

It seems a fresh wave of anti homo sentiment passed over this country with the protection of marriage crowd.
Though I fear Rebiu is right, Brokeback Mountain is about gay cowboys in the 1960s and 70s, and, in one flashback scene, the 1940s. Having grown up in the 60s and 70s decades, my personal recollection is that we were much less tolerant toward homosexuals, then, to the extent that local police would cover up the beatings and murders of poorly connected homosexuals. My optimistic perspective is that 21st century America, while rife with hateful rhetoric, is generally a safer and more tolerant place, not only for minority groups like homosexuals, but for everyone.

PS:

I saw Brokeback Mountains just yesterday, and thought it was excellent, fully deserving it critical acclaim and awards. It dispelled stereotypes, both of cowboys as intrinsically ultra-heterosexual, and of a clear division between homosexual and heterosexual orientation. Like many male homosexuals I’ve know, Jack and Ennis weren’t completely un-attracted to women, just more attracted to men. Ennis didn’t even seem particularly attracted to men in general, just to Jack in particular.

A message I took away from the movie is that our present day culture, having increased its acceptance of homosexuals, has an increased expectation that homosexuals be exclusively homosexual. I think this a bad expectation, as homosexuals are not incapable of having meaningful heterosexual relationships. People are people, and with openness and good will, capable of more and deeper interactions with one another than many may believe.

If you liked Brokeback Mountain, I recommend 2004’s ”Kinsey”, a biography of the famous zoologist instrumental in the publication of "Sexual Behavior in the Human Male" and "Sexual Behavior in the Human Female", and a primarily heterosexual bisexual.

Good recommendation, CraigD. Kinsey is a good film, and is an excellent introduction to early sex research that many folks may not be aware of. I studied this work and others like it in college when I took a few different sexuality classes. Fascinating how the uber-religious and puritanical crowd was so offended, and a very interesting film all the same. Interesting still is how frequently scientists studying such issues today (2006!) are frequently shunned and labelled and have difficulty finding funding for their work.

I have not yet seen Broke Back, but I'm anxiously awaiting Part 2: Spinal Repair. :lol:

I think it's weird how nobody cares that they were cheating on their wives because they were gay. I guess it's cause at that time they couldn't be together without getting killed, but I felt really bad for Ennis's wife. Also, I think that it's not that they were stuck together in the woods and decided to become homosexual. I think the characters probably had to have homosexual fantasies in the past (definetly jack did), or else Ennis was just realizing that he was homosexual.

I think it's weird how nobody cares that they were cheating on their wives because they were gay. I guess it's cause at that time they couldn't be together without getting killed, but I felt really bad for Ennis's wife.
I felt bad for all the characters. The lack of real connection to the women they married lead to these empty unfulfilling relationships.

I also got the feeling that the guys who killed jack were hired by his father in law. Did anyone else sense this?