Science Forums

Determinism

pgrmdave

Man, consciousness occured because it had to,

slowly,

surely.

This convorsation,

or transfer of words, rather,

was always going to happen. and that is determinism.

our ability,

or whatever you want to call it, to be conscious,

is still evolving.

It never turned on,

Our brain branches getting more dense,

intriquit,

and menacing.

Thought processes,

we can remember,

we can speak.

It makes me severely passionate about

what our consciousness NOW

is evolving into.

Man, consciousness occured because it had to,

slowly,

surely.

It makes me severely passionate about

what our consciousness NOW

is evolving into.

Consciousness could not have evolved out of a vacuum. Some seed of it had to be present somewhere or inside something. My belief is that as atoms come together each contributes a seed of consciousness, and via asssociation, project an even higher state of consciousness - a primitive form of self-awareness. One can sit under a tree and feel that it is conscious. A whole forest feels infinitely more so. Mankind is the highest evolved of these atomic associations. The vibe at a concert hall or in a stadium is awesome.

If we extend that atomic consciousness outwards to ever larger associations - our Earth, sending a conscious magentic aura out to join that of the assocoaitio of the other planets within the sphere of our Star, then further out to the galaxy and galactic clusters and the entire universal association - we see One vast Consciousness that we call Divine because what we see its symetry and order and this we Supeme Atomic Association we call God.

I believe human consciousness is an on-going process that is leading us from the infancy of our Stone Age beginnings towards an eventual sagacious state of cosmic transcendence sometime in the future, when our physical cycle will end in an ultimate state of self-awareness.. which is God-Consciousness

I do not understand it's origin, your idea is beautiful but..

wow,

I feel it,

I feel the consciousness of flowers,

grass,

I can feel their motion, their resonance.

No thoughts.

We share thoughts.

GET IN TUNE.

TUNE UP

TUNE UP

TUNE UP

Wow...

theywere doing studies on mushrooms,

and how their underground network

resembles the neural network of our brain.

O I'm so confused,

enlightened and buzzing

i want to know more

and more

I I feel it,

I feel the consciousness of flowers,

grass,

I can feel their motion, their resonance.

No thoughts.

We share thoughts.

GET IN TUNE.

It is wonderful to hear another express the joy of life in this forum after so much sad cynicism. I would like to share a moment with you if I may.

One day after several hoiurs if sitting in painful seshin in a Zen training monastery in Japan, I took a break between sittings and went for a quiet walk in the vegatable garden. All the hours of concentration had stilled the endless machinations of the mind that we modern's struggle with. In that stillness, I suddenly became meta-normally conscious of the vibe in the garden. I had the distinct sensation that all the tomato plants, japanese cabbages, celery etc, where all as breathelessly conscious of me as I was of them. That magical moment of communion only lasted a split second, before the analytical half of my mind clicked into gear and tried to qualify what I had just experienced and I dropped back into the mundane again.

Bravo! Who said science is without spirituality

Nor I. And thanks, by the way. Also thanks to ughaibu for the inspiration.

I actually support spirituality. This was not always true. Many people, books, faiths, tried to explain to me what 'spirituality' is, but none of it rang true. They all wanted it to be about 'worship' and scripture study, etc.

It has taken me 40 years wandering in the wilderness to find spirituality. And it was right under my nose all the time. IMHO, it is the process and techniques of establishing nurturing relationship with one's self, and with those in one's community. It is learning how to be comfortable living inside one's skin, and with the knowledge of mortality. It is the act of contributing something of one's self to the community, future generations, and to the world, so that one's life will not have been wasted. It is the achievement of love -- the love of one's own life and the opportunity to experience it, create it, and be aware of it. It is the acceptance and love of self-consciousness itself.

It has taken me 40 years wandering in the wilderness to find spirituality. And it was right under my nose all the time. IMHO, it is the process and techniques of establishing nurturing relationship with one's self, and with those in one's community. It is learning how to be comfortable living inside one's skin, and with the knowledge of mortality. It is the act of contributing something of one's self to the community, future generations, and to the world, so that one's life will not have been wasted. It is the achievement of love -- the love of one's own life and the opportunity to experience it, create it, and be aware of it. It is the acceptance and love of self-consciousness itself.

I'll buy that. Perfect metaphorical reference to the Book of Moses. Its always a hard job getting out of Egypt.:confused:

I'll buy that. Perfect metaphorical reference to the Book of Moses. Its always a hard job getting out of Egypt.:lol:

Damn straight it is. And it always will be.

There are some things that every generation must invent from scratch.

I believe in strict determinism, that is, every event is the direct result of events before it. This means that all objects, including humans, are governed by cause and effect completely, with no free will. To me, it is the only logical conclusion when one thinks about our universe. However, I am aware that some people feel differently, and I'm curious as to how they logically defend Indeterminism.

I am a sociological/biological hard determinist. Quantum mechanics has nothing to do with human behavior and there is no empirical evidence to support that. What there is is thousands of scientific experiments that support a cause and effect model of human behavior. Do not be surprised when the indeterminists cannot support their beliefs with empirical evidence. The latest evidence for determinism is the scientific study that shows the brains of lesbians are significantly different from non-lesbian women.

I am a practicing metaphysicist and I challenge your strict stance on determinism.

Quantum mechanics has nothing to do with human behavior and there is no empirical evidence to support that.

Since humans are entirely composed of atoms, how does that add up?

What there is is thousands of scientific experiments that support a cause and effect model of human behavior.

Could you supply one or two examples that I can critique?

Do not be surprised when the indeterminists cannot support their beliefs with empirical evidence.

Other than the fact that my eyes move during sleep and my brain waves show fluctuations, there is no impirical evidence to prove that I have lucid flight dreams either - or that I feel love for that matter.

I am rather neutral to the concept of determinism. However, I have used this concept in this forum in the context of astrology.

I would quote what I said earlier for the benefit of the newer members. I said

If astrology can indicate the propensity of an individual towards certain traits, it won't be long when it can predict future too!!

Here's my line of thought. Consider human beings as molecules in a gas, if one can tell the velocity and position of a particular molecule, using classical physics one must be able to predict its intire trajectory. What I am leading to, is that, human beings are like molecules made of thousands of atoms, that do not follow the bonding limitations of the chemical molecules. So, if you the trajectory of such a molecule through space, you can know which other molecules it will collide to lead to a transformation, (that's luck) and hence your entire trajectory during your life time.

What's your reaction to this Freddy