Science Forums

User profiles

IrishEyes

Originally posted by: wisdumn

also the band that mike patton was in that this song is from is called (faith no more) iwas never to impressed by the band name but hey... you make good music- you make good music right!

the name of the song is  " somewhere in between " from the album " the real thing "

Be agressive b e agressive! b e a g be e agressive! Love FNM! I lost a chance to see them back in '91 when they were playing in Davenport, just across from where I lived (across a little river called Mississippi, that is).

A bit about me:

-Malaysian

-Born 1986 in Springfield, Illinois (Went back to Malaysia at the age of one)

-Now hoping to get into a top US university for EE next fall, hopefully U of I at Urbana

-Right now just preparing for SAT and TOEFL and learning Microsoft's .NET

OK, a few more stops along lifes journey. Had a fixation with Electronics since birth. Planned on a technical career in Electronics. Got AAS degree in Electronics, "Broadcast" major. Got a job selling Stereo equip while in college. Had a nack for it and it stuck. Became Store Manager while still full time College. At 19 was relocated to Atlanta to manage 4 locations 25+ employees in Stereo Retail. after 6 months, was hired by S.E. US "rep" company as travelling Salesman selling Marantz, Sony, Pioneer Car Stereo, and others, to retailers. They transfered me to Columbus GA and then to Nashville TN. Travelled Tenn for years calling on every TV/ Radio/ Appliance/ Dept/ Catalog ... My Salesmanager left and took me with him. Selling Kenwood, Maxell, Phase Linear, AR, Audio Technica, ... to Retailers.

They moved me back to Atlanta area to open and staff (me) a regional Kenwood repair facility, create a wholesale catalog (before PC's and Quark, manual cut and paste, rub on lettering...) and regional lit center. Travelled GA, TN, SC, NC, AL, MISS doing retail store clinics and sales seminars. Taught retail sales people product knowledge and sales techiques to Pacific Stereo, Circuit City, CMC and local operations. Gave lectures to consumers on amplifier design/ performance, tape deck usage, mics, speaker design including psycho-acoustics, ... Got tired of travelling so moved to Kingsport TN to work retail at friend's stores (Audition HI FI). Didn't work out. Moved back to Milwaukee area in '81. Moved across state lines 6 times in those 10 years. Feels like I drove every street in 7 states.

Back in Milw, went into selling Pro Video. TV stations, Cable companies, Business and Industry. I literally sold complete TV stations and satelite uplink trucks. Opened and ran WI branch for IL based company. Took it from $750k annual to $2.6M last 6 months I managed it, in 3 years. Was Pres of local Trade org (ITVA). became regional Sales Manager for Video Test and Measurement company (Magni Systems) travelling 13 midwest states and part of Canada. Gave my 1st National Satelite-cast seminar presentation to Society of Motion Picture and TV Engineers (SMPTE), topic "Application of computer controlled Test Signal Generator for HDTV". Worked with Zenith HDTV in their HDTV research group as well as GE Medical in their MRI and CAT areas for display technology, Allan-Bradley (Now Rockwell Automation) Sears, All State, Ameritech (Now part of SBC) Ford, GM, Chrysler, ...

Then went to Symbolics. Most advanced AI/ Expert systems computer company ever developed. Their own hardware, processor design, ... which worked native in LisP. Started with same 13 states, Canada but wound up with everything east of Miss river. When DoD funding dried up and company closed started my own company specializing in SGI based graphics systems.

Around this point, as my 4 kids got older my now Ex started to include them in her physical abuse problem. Wound up after years of "therapy" for her/ us, taking the kids and leaving. One of the other reasons for starting my own company. Get off road for kids.

As single father and new company was largest Xaos Tools dealer. Sold Wavefront, Alias, Parallax and others as well as various hardware such as the early Digital Disc recorders. Gave my 2nd SMPTE lecture, on "Simultaneous record and playback of HDTV using scalable disc arrays". Board member regional SMPTE and National Association of Broadcasters (NAB). Personally responsible for Sega's choice of software when they moved game design to SGI from Mac's. Then market changed.

Went back to Corp world selling Highspeed Data/ Internet for regional ILEC's during heydays of DSL startup and "dotcom" boom. Also BUST! Went to "Merchant Services" (Credit Card Processing). Biggest nightmare I ever had! Now back with the company I started, which my son had taken over and moved into small biz PC networks. Growing it into a bigger operation.

Then while Googleing something scientific ran across Hypog. The rest is History.

Originally posted by: Freethinker

Then while Googleing something scientific ran across Hypog. The rest is History.

So why don't we have an "electronics" group here yet?

Good story by the way. You're just who I need. Can you take Hypography from a mess to a multimillion dollar operation in, say, 6 months?

from Tormod to FreeT:

Good story by the way.

Yes, I agree, thanks for sharing!

from Tormod to FreeT:

You're just who I need.

Now this just terrifies me!

from Tormod to FreeT:

Can you take Hypography from a mess to a multimillion dollar operation in, say, 6 months?

And can I PLEA$E share in the profits?????

Originally posted by: Tormod

So why don't we have an "electronics" group here yet?

Good story by the way. You're just who I need. Can you take Hypography from a mess to a multimillion dollar operation in, say, 6 months?

Sure, As long as you have a $500,00.00 operating budget!

I'd love to jump back into something big now. I dropped out of the big earnings game when I had to become Mr Mom. Now that they are all older I am trying to get back to that track.

Originally posted by: Tormod

Can you take Hypography from a mess to a multimillion dollar operation in, say, 6 months?

Sure, As long as you have a $500,00.00 operating budget!

I'd love to jump back into something big now. I dropped out of the big earnings game when I had to become Mr Mom. Now that they are all older I am trying to get back to that track.

No problem. Where do I send the 500 dollars.

• 4 months later...

I put my interests/hobbies in my profile.

I too am leery of ID theivery from the internet (& spamming). As I get to know people, I can

be more trusting. I live in southern California. I was born/raised in southern Indiana. BS

from Purdue in Physics. Work in Aerospace.

Maddog