Science Forums

User profiles

IrishEyes

EVERYONE

Would you mind filling in your user profiles? I thouroughly enjoy your posts, but I think it would help me if I knew a little more about you. Where are you from? Just the country works fine, if outside the US. What is your approximate age? Are you a student? A professor? I'm sure you've all made mention of some of these things in your posts, but I'd like to be able to 'click the button' and refresh my memory.

I know FreeT, Tormod, Unc and Gahd pretty well. I know sanctus is European, and geko is a Brit ( i think). Frogon is from Kansas and Tinny and Tim are Asian. But some of you others, I have nothing to go on. It would especially help if you live outside the US.

• 2 weeks later...

I understand that many have a reason for a measure of anonymity, but would ask that a members country be disclosed in their profile. I have a reason for this, other than plain curiosity. I sometimes feel that some misunderstandings are caused by language barriers, and knowing this would avoid some unnecessary difficulties. I also think the current profile form is too limited, so if anyone cares, I have no reason for being secretive,......

I was born in Milwaukee WI in 1962. After a brief tour of duty in the USMC I "ended up " (not a choice) in Huntsville AL where I currently reside with my wife of 22 years. I have 2 children, a son 21, currently attending the cullinary institute in Birmingham. A daughter, 20, whom was recently married.

I hold no degrees. I am a simple blue collar working man, cabinetmaker, that happens to be interested in many other topics. My goal is to attain the clearest understanding of reality and the universe as is possible, for me.

It doesn't look very likely that my biography will ever grace the pages of any encyclopedia.

It doesn't look very likely that my biography will ever grace the pages of any encyclopedia.

You know, neither will mine. But I don't consider it a lesson in mediocrity. I look on my wall at drawings from my children and realize that sometimes what is written TO you is much more important than what will ever be written ABOUT you. And the "Momma, I LOVE you" that I'm looking at means I'm important to somebody. I don't think it gets any better than that, no matter how many pages your name occupies in Brittanica.

i to unc.M was very impressed by this last post of yours, i was starting to think you thought yourself a know it all, but now it appears very apparent to me that you're just like the rest of us, not rich, not famous.i mean,who cares about those things anyway, if you're happy then be happy. i wish i could make a cabinet, mine would look like something you might want to find another cabinet to hide it in real quick like.

i'll say this much about myself for clarification. my profile is not exactly correct simply because like FT said, it's not always safe putting up your personal info online. but i was born in 1974, florida. i've moved arounda bit and i still currently reside in the southern states of the U.S. i love music and art in general, i also enjoy deep conversations about different subjects, for me personally i really like philosophy,spirituality, and as far as science the particular field that draws my attention most is psychology. i am currently working on learning how psychology and spirituality work together to form people's particular beliefs as i believe they have something in common. right now i work a meager job and my education is everyday life and how much i let myself be open to learning.

wisdumn, would you consider making your profile public? I can't see it at all. Thanks for the insights though, it does help me to form a better picture of you.

Also, Unc said "I sometimes feel that some misunderstandings are caused by language barriers, and knowing this would avoid some unnecessary difficulties." I TOTALLY agree with this, and this is actually what I was getting at. You are just much more direct than I was, thanks for that!

Originally posted by: IrishEyes

wisdumn, would you consider making your profile public? I can't see it at all. Thanks for the insights though, it does help me to form a better picture of you. Also, Unc said "I sometimes feel that some misunderstandings are caused by language barriers, and knowing this would avoid some unnecessary difficulties." I TOTALLY agree with this, and this is actually what I was getting at. You are just much more direct than I was, thanks for that!

that's about as public as i feel i can be irish, sorry but in all reality, we don't REALLY know each other and more so than that, i really don't trust UNCLE SPAM.

Originally posted by: wisdumn

my profile is not exactly correct simply because like FT said, it's not always safe putting up your personal info online. but i was born in 1974, florida......

Thanks for sharing that with us. Your posts are much better lately, if my opinion means anything. I have a question,... you claim in another thread that you wrote your own sig,..... in the above post you wish for some anonymity,.... yet you sign your sig "Mike Patton". Is this a pen name or are you inadvertantly disclosing info you had wished to remain private?

Originally posted by: wisdumn

..... now it appears very apparent to me that you're just like the rest of us, not rich, not famous.

Au contraire mon ami! True, not rich,... not famous,..... but "just like the rest of us"? PULEEEEASE, I prefer the know it all title.

Edited to correct spelling errors that GAHD was so gracious to point out.

Hmm, a mini-bio, eh?

I have no fear of the internet; if someone's gonna track me down for what I say here I'm well equipped to deal with it.

I was born in Winnipeg, lived my life here. I became interested in science when I was 3 years old(farthest back I can remember), after reading through my grandfather's journal and playing with LEGO. My grandfather was a military man, a radio operator. In his spare time he was a 'tinkerer' and was experimenting with lots of things. Alas he died while even my father was young, but his journal had enough of his passion in it to set my mind searchng more information. There was a lot of questions he asked in his journal I found the answers for rather quickly, having had fourty some years of time(and reserch) between his writings and my life.

By the time I was in kindergarden I was talking as an adult, and the children who I thought had speech impediments annoyed me (their parents had simply taught them "tah-tah" ment "give it to me" "wa-wa" ment "I'm thirsty", disgusting really and the reason I hate "baby-talk"). Though school I learned at my own pace, never in the classroom(except for french which was always full of odd new little nuances of grammer). By the age of twelve I had won several medals from science fair projects, and quit bothering with them when the only thing up againt my experiment in light amplification through stimulated emission of radiaton was a computer assembled from off the shelf parts. Soon my local librarys nolonger carried the books I wanted, and by the age of sixteen I had simply too much time on my hands and not enough money; so I started working.

My parents had a messy breakup around my fifteenth birthday. Being forced to move out with my mom I lost acces to my dad's(a welder/carpenter/mechanic/philosopher) workshop/garage where I was always entertained by new ideas and things to build.

From around 16-17 years of age i became a heavy but careful drinker and drug user(The only thing I've had that was man-made is alchohal, chew on that), and immersed myself in the culture of my city's streets all but forgetting about science (though taking my computer geekdom to new heights). I met some interesting people at local coffie shops, RP conventions, and the university where I spent a good portion of my dwindling free time. I met my third long time girlfrined during this period, and straightened out somewhat at around eighteen. I spent the next two years mindlessly draging through life with only occasional jaunts to the world of intillect I had found so refreshing in my youth, wasting most of my money on cigaretts, joints, and coffie. After a rather messy breakup with that girlfriend, I spent a some time reorganising my mental faculties and list of priorities.

To this date I have little contact with my fater due to circumstance, try to learn what i can in my 'free' time, and continuously ponder and design new gizmos I'd like to build when I have the money saved up (OBC anyone?). I routeinely argue the nature of the universe with my friends years older than me(one who aspires to be a teacher and has his masters in phyics), with a heavy emphasis on applied and practial applications thereof. I enjoy working out my mind with ideas on a TOE (as FT calles it), while working my body with either weights or yoga. I work with an internet loaning company, and getting paid well enough to do it. I aspire to apply to Western University in London, Ontario, and enroll in a dual major of biological and mechanical engineering(OBC->IBC).

EDIT;

Originally posted by: Uncle Martin

Au contraire mon ami! True, not rich,... not famous,..... but "just like the rest of us"? PULEEEEASE, I prefer the know it all title.

though you might have

Originally posted by: IrishEyes

08/21/2004 09:21 AM - geko

Iveput my date of birth in for you Irish

... it doesn't show up when I click on your user profile. Can you re-edit to make it visible to us all?

If you cant see it i dont know what to do im sorry - 'profile visibility' is set to on

I think Geko is thinking about his other (main site) profile...my bad for not pointing out that this is NOT the forum profile (yet). Sorry folks.

The only way to see the other profile is to click on a user's name in the news/links/quizzes sections. So Geko'd have to post his URL here.

If someone is still wondering what I'm talking about, go to http://www.hypography.com/ and click on your name in the "Member info" box (assuming you're logged in, of course).

Originally posted by: Uncle Martin

Originally posted by: wisdumn my profile is not exactly correct simply because like FT said, it's not always safe putting up your personal info online. but i was born in 1974, florida......

Thanks for sharing that with us. Your posts are much better lately, if my opinion means anything. I have a question,... you claim in another thread that you wrote your own sig,..... in the above post you wish for some anonymity,.... yet you sign your sig "Mike Patton". Is this a pen name or are you inadvertantly disclosing info you had wished to remain private?

yes i usually write my own sig, which ihad stated in the thread(can i have your sig please) and in that thread i gave the sig i was using but i remembered my current sig from a song i like and the singer's name is mike patton