Science Forums

Anti-gravity Effect?

C1ay

Scientists funded by the European Space Agency believe they may have measured the gravitational equivalent of a magnetic field for the first time in a laboratory. Under certain special conditions the effect is much larger than expected from general relativity and could help physicists to make a significant step towards the long-sought-after quantum theory of gravity.

lefthttp://hypography.com/gallery/files/9/9/8/gravitomagnetic_induction_thumb.jpg[/img]Just as a moving electrical charge creates a magnetic field, so a moving mass generates a gravitomagnetic field. According to Einstein's Theory of General Relativity, the effect is virtually negligible. However, Martin Tajmar, ARC Seibersdorf Research GmbH, Austria; Clovis de Matos, ESA-HQ, Paris; and colleagues believe they have measured the effect in a laboratory.

Their experiment involves a ring of superconducting material rotating up to 6 500 times a minute. Superconductors are special materials that lose all electrical resistance at a certain temperature. Spinning superconductors produce a weak magnetic field, the so-called London moment. The new experiment tests a conjecture by Tajmar and de Matos that explains the difference between high-precision mass measurements of Cooper-pairs (the current carriers in superconductors) and their prediction via quantum theory. They have discovered that this anomaly could be explained by the appearance of a gravitomagnetic field in the spinning superconductor (This effect has been named the Gravitomagnetic London Moment by analogy with its magnetic counterpart).

Small acceleration sensors placed at different locations close to the spinning superconductor, which has to be accelerated for the effect to be noticeable, recorded an acceleration field outside the superconductor that appears to be produced by gravitomagnetism. "This experiment is the gravitational analogue of Faraday's electromagnetic induction experiment in 1831.

It demonstrates that a superconductive gyroscope is capable of generating a powerful gravitomagnetic field, and is therefore the gravitational counterpart of the magnetic coil. Depending on further confirmation, this effect could form the basis for a new technological domain, which would have numerous applications in space and other high-tech sectors" says de Matos. Although just 100 millionths of the acceleration due to the Earth’s gravitational field, the measured field is a surprising one hundred million trillion times larger than Einstein’s General Relativity predicts. Initially, the researchers were reluctant to believe their own results.

"We ran more than 250 experiments, improved the facility over 3 years and discussed the validity of the results for 8 months before making this announcement. Now we are confident about the measurement," says Tajmar, who performed the experiments and hopes that other physicists will conduct their own versions of the experiment in order to verify the findings and rule out a facility induced effect.

In parallel to the experimental evaluation of their conjecture, Tajmar and de Matos also looked for a more refined theoretical model of the Gravitomagnetic London Moment. They took their inspiration from superconductivity. The electromagnetic properties of superconductors are explained in quantum theory by assuming that force-carrying particles, known as photons, gain mass. By allowing force-carrying gravitational particles, known as the gravitons, to become heavier, they found that the unexpectedly large gravitomagnetic force could be modelled.

"If confirmed, this would be a major breakthrough," says Tajmar, "it opens up a new means of investigating general relativity and it consequences in the quantum world."

The results were presented at a one-day conference at ESA's European Space and Technology Research Centre (ESTEC), in the Netherlands, 21 March 2006. Two papers detailing the work are now being considered for publication. The papers can be accessed on-line at the Los Alamos pre-print server using the references: gr-qc/0603033 and gr-qc/0603032.

Source: ESA

If a one degree change in the water temeperature of rainforest esturies is enough to alter the hatching sex of a saltwater crocodile, how would an alteration to the gravitational strength impact upon all that it may influence ?

If a bird migrates 2000 miles to find a special termite mound found in only one of the worlds locations to get perfect hatching temperature and humidity what will happen when the Earths climate changes too fast for them to find an alternate simbiotic relationship with the things they require for their combined existence to continue ?

Havent we got enough difficult problems to solve without creating new ones?

Science, I think, already has a lot to answer for, why cant it start fixing their mistakes instead of claiming they never fully thought about the problems they could have realised they were potentially creating in advance?

Science, I think, already has a lot to answer for, why cant it start fixing their mistakes instead of claiming they never fully thought about the problems they could have realised they were potentially creating in advance?

Yes, much like rocks should answer for the pain they cause when they hit someone in the head. Good grief... :eek_big: Because (let's clarify here), those who practice science all have crystal balls and time machines...

I'm more interested in the explanation for the out of magnitude result on the strength of gravitational influence obtained when the investigators measured the effect using their accelerometers. My initial reaction was;" did the investigators make a methodological error"? [signal to noise congruence in the study, I believe, is to high. D.]

If the result holds up, what is the possible explanation that doesn't require us to tear GTR apart? There must be one.

Any speculators?

Hmm are you being sarcastic InfiniteNow ?

A lot of possibilities are foreseeable all it takes it is a bit of vision. Ultimate extrapolations for instance are quite easy to accomplish using trend line analysis. Its also made easier by backsolving end goals. I mean lets face it you dont need a crystal ball to determine that if our objective was to fill the atmosphere with negative gasses and warm the planet we are probably going the right way about it. If your ultimate goal was to "make the weather more extreme at both ends and pollute the atmosphere" how would you go about it ? hmmm. We are not talking rocket science here. Conceivably if you wanted to do it you would have everybody on the planet producing gasses like CO2, then you would remove as many trees as you could as fast as you could, and consume resources as fast as you could, then you would do your best to justify the continuation of the three trends for as long as possible until the simbiotic nexus points in the ecosystem failed and then you would say "ooops...never thought that could happen..anyway there is nothing I could have done about it" then you would say "I did absolutely everything I could" and it would be a lie because you would realise you missed a whole lot of opportunities and yet you would still not wish to accept any responsibility because the burden of blame would be too high for your psyche to handle and you would continue to deny the problem because you could imagine no possible way of it being resolved. Sometime after that when all hope seemed to be lost you would pray for a second coming.

If you think I am wrong..how do you think it will pan out ?

Hmm are you being sarcastic InfiniteNow ?

A lot of possibilities are foreseeable all it takes it is a bit of vision. Ultimate extrapolations for instance are quite easy to accomplish using trend line analysis. Its also made easier by backsolving end goals.<Snip> Sometime after that when all hope seemed to be lost you would pray for a second coming.

If you think I am wrong..how do you think it will pan out ?

Query, where were you when we humans discovered fire?

Query, where were you when we humans first smelted bronze?

Query, where were you when we humans first developed an oil based economy?

Answer, you(like I) weren't born yet. We've had at most two generations of good data and experience to determine the dangers of toxicity and thermal pollution to our environment.

I've been working on practical economic solutions(feasable hydrogen fuel economy solutions and relatively clean nuclear) and hindered by environmental luddites of the left and right for twenty years. Where have you been?

Scientists do not have crystal balls and they need more than a snapshot of temperature versus greenhouse gases ratios to establish a firm trendline for a good analysis.

I am far more concerned by the species die-offs in the midst of which we find ourselves than I am of "global warming".

That problem is immediate, quantifiable, and quite well measured as a direct result of the human imprint on the ecology.

http://www.fathom.com/course/21701785/session1.html

We cannot yet say the same for the human impact on the climate with as much certainty. We have the beginnings of a trend. And we still haven't isolated all the variables in the pollution indices.

End of aside amd back on topic-specifically the unexpected gravitational influence force measurement;

I wonder if it was an electromagnetic effect that was misidentified as the cause for the accelerometer gauge reading?

...If the result holds up, what is the possible explanation that doesn't require us to tear GTR apart? There must be one. Any speculators?

Yes! I'd like to speculate, sir!

Disparities between teensy expectations and much larger (but still teensy) results can happen due to quantization. If this M/G effect is somehow triggering a hitherto undiscovered quantized property of space, time, space-time curvature, gravity, or whatever, then perhaps the resulting acceleration is a "1" on the quantization scale. You can't get the million-trillionth that Einstein predicts because that would be a fraction of a quantum step and not allowed.

Now, if they can demonstrate a Step "2" quantum acceleration... :hihi:

• 4 weeks later...
My point, basically... do not lump SCIENCE into one category. It's a lot of things to a lot of people with a lot of different ideas. When one discovers something, they cannot possibly conceive of it's future implications with any certainty. Can't put the toothpaste back in the tube...

one shot, one burbon and one beer!

ha ha ha!

gravity sucks

peace and love,

and,

love and peace,

(kirk) kirk gregory czuhai:phones:

one shot, one burbon and one beer!

ha ha ha!

gravity sucks

peace and love,

and,

love and peace,

(kirk) kirk gregory czuhai:phones:

Do you ever get the feeling that somebody is partying all by himself, and doesn't realize that everybody else has gone home?

:hihi:

Have fun guy.

Damocles