Racoon

Do Humans Have Instincts  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do Humans Have Instincts

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't know...
    • maybe? thats a good question

I really Duked it out with a Co-worker on this one!!

(He's one of my friends, and an African-American :D )

I said Yes. He said No.

Scientifically speaking here:My friend seems to be right!?:evil:

There is your "gut feeling", but thats not really instinctual by scientific standards and measures. More learned responses, experiences...

Animals have instincts to be sure! But do humans?

The 1 instinct I could find,and that was it, is an infants instinct to choke-up an object in their throat.

What do you think??

Yes.

I haven't even read your post yet, but yes.

Okay, I just read it. Humans are animals. Instincts have evolved in us just as they have in other animals. The issue with you and your friend probably isn't about whether or not humans have them, but in coming to an agreement on "what is an instinct."

Yes.

I haven't even read your post yet, but yes.

Okay, I just read it. Humans are animals. Instincts have evolved in us just as they have in other animals. The issue with you and your friend probably isn't about whether or not humans have them, but in coming to an agreement on "what is an instinct."

What might those be?

"Urges" should not be considered Instincts :evil:

Hmmm... I don't know... maybe like walking toward the edge from the roof of a 10 story building and realizing you should back up before you fall... Even children back up.

I was in agreement with Yes response too IN. (at first??)

Thats not instinct though. We are not genetically programmed to be on top of high roofs!

Thats common sense. Fear. learned behaviour

My friend really rode me on this... I need PROOF (so I can shut him up!:) )

we agreed on the Dictionary definition of Instinct.

instinct: (n.) - an Inborn tendency to to act or respond in a particular way

where's CraigD or Ug when you need 'em? :D :evil:

Babies cry when hungy? Why? Is that learned? No, it's an inborn tendency to respond in a particular way.

We suckle at our mothers nipple... didn't have to be taught that one.

Smile when nice people are around us.

I am having a tough time thinking of references to what babies do without having been taught, but I think that's your angle if you're to prove your point.

Maybe some of the parents out here can help out with some examples (that is, of course, if they agree that humans have instincts and that the behavior of infants is an adequate way to demostrate this)

I think that instincts are just about any action or thought that people have that do not have a logical or rational *source*. In this sense, I guess I would include "urges" because they represent an innate, hardwired mechanism that assists the organism in survival, although if inappropriately applied, they can be deadly too. Eating is an instinct and overeating can be bad, but instincts can also be more subtle for example the instinct to be the dominant member of a group can often result in making a fool of one's self in public.

I agree with Orby: instincts are all over the place...to the extent we can focus and master them--and importantly not to do *away* with them--we become better able to survive and prosper.

Subtly,

Buffy

Our instincts are what keep us alive - the instinct to drink, to eat, to breathe, to procreate, to keep ourselves safe from harm, to sleep. These are not learned activities, they are voluntary (with the exception of sleeping and breathing), and all humans have these instincts. There are instincts on another level that are much easier to overcome with voluntary action/thought - the instinct to spit out bad tasting food/drink. The instinctive fear of falling (this is NOT a learned fear, although the fear of heights is). The instinctive reaction to a stressful situation, commonly called the 'fight or flight' response.

True some of that.

But I'm talking instinct. Stomach growling - you know you need food. (and you can consciencely Not eat or drink or screw)

thats pursuit of maintaining Homeostasis, blood sugar levels..

I'm thinking...

Like Salmon instinctually return to the streams they are spawned from.

Migratory Birds who follow a Magnetic Flight pattern.

Stuff you DO NOT think about. It simply happens WITHOUT thought!!!

???

Wheres Tormod and Clay when you need them?? :) :evil: :D

Hmmm... I don't know... maybe like walking toward the edge from the roof of a 10 story building and realizing you should back up before you fall... Even children back up.

I was in agreement with Yes response too IN. (at first??)

Thats not instinct though. We are not genetically programmed to be on top of high roofs!

Thats common sense. Fear. learned behaviour

My friend really rode me on this... I need PROOF (so I can shut him up!:evil:

The visual cliff experiment is an old, well known child psyche experiment similar to what Infinitenow describes. It’s not really meant to demonstrate that human beings have or don’t have innate instincts, rather to shed light on how, when, and why we develop visual depth perception. It presupposes that any human infant capable of perceiving a drop will try to avoid it.

You might better argue the case for human beings having inborn instincts by first reaching a consensus that animals with similar neuroanatomy do, then asking how human beings could not also have them. There’s a popular consensus that human beings and other primates’ nervous systems are “upgrades” of primitive ones similar to those in less intelligent animals, so human beings should retain their instincts.

I think there’s a tendency among people with limited knowledge of Biology and Zoology to over-ascribe complicated behaviors in all animals to “instincts”. For example, many people believe that dogs, monkeys, and human beings have an inborn fear of snakes, despite numerous studies that show that animals raised in captivity lack this sensible aversion.

So, while I think human beings, like nearly all animals, have instincts, both human beings and other animals have fewer instincts than is popularly believed.

I think it is instinctual for humans to follow movement with their eyes.:evil:

Noam Chomsky makes the assertion that human speech is instinctual, i.e. 'hardwired' in the brain. He observed for example that all babies 'coo' & 'babble' the same way at a certain stage of early development no matter the culture they live in.:D

So, while I think human beings, like nearly all animals, have instincts, both human beings and other animals have fewer instincts than is popularly believed.

You can Count on CraigD making another Great post! :D

Most people have a different value for the definition of "instincts"

equating: Instincts = Intuition, hunger ?? :evil:

I was really amazed to see How Few there really are! if any??

I think it is instinctual for humans to follow movement with their eyes.:evil:

Noam Chomsky makes the assertion that human speech is instinctual, i.e. 'hardwired' in the brain. He observed for example that all babies 'coo' & 'babble' the same way at a certain stage of early development no matter the culture they live in.:D

Good one Resident Terrapin :xx:

I recall that as well after watching a Noam C. Documentary a few years back!

Does Language have anything to do with Instinct, or is it associated with potential learning capacity??

where's HallenRM when you need him?? :)