Science Forums

Technical problems

Tormod

There seems to be no end to the technical problems these days.

I have asked our ISP if there is something wrong and they have a technician checking out the server.

If you encounter problems, I'd be very happy if you could copy the error message and either mail it to me at [email protected] or simply post it here when you get the forums back up.

If you get message like this:

"Connection to JRUN server closed", "Invalid domain name", "Bad Host" (funny one, that) then you are getting a server error and I would like to see it. Since I don't run the server myself I don't see those particular errors, I only see the ColdFusion errors.

Please feel free to post experiences with the site which warrant my attention, too. There may be bugs around which I haven't caught yet.

Remember I'm just back from vacation so reporting a bug doesn't mean it gets fixed.

Late last week when I tried to access your site I received the "server busy" notice. I recall reading that

day or the day before a new virus had hit the net and I assumed it created a temporary glitch.

I just accessed my feedreader to your site and an error message kept popping up, but it did not

prevent me from finally accessing the page. The error box contained the following info:

Internet Explorer Script Error

Line: 1

Char: 1

Error: Invalid char

Code: 0

Do you want to continue running script on this page

Yes No

I kept hitting Yes and after four yes hits the page appeared. I do not run Internet Explorer (NS7).

I got the same error accessing 4 other pages, so the problem is endemic to your site. I had no

problem accessing other sites just to see if it was my problem or your problem.

As a possible alternative suggestion.

There was only one day that I had those problems, all day long! And it so happened that there was some talk of a massive dos attack against spammers from network admins. Story is they shut down many servers with a concentrated attack. The net was crawling and lots of packet loss. I wondered if your host was on the list!

"Spam Wars: Filters Strike Back

Fearing that spammers are increasingly finding ways to slip their unwanted messages past the current generation of filtering technologies, activists are taking a second look at a proposal to use denial-of-service attacks in the fight against spam."

http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,61012,00.html?tw=wn_story_related

Perhaps this was a mannual trial?

Can't find the original article I saw the info in.

Originally posted by: FrankM

Late last week when I tried to access your site I received the "server busy" notice. I recall reading that

day or the day before a new virus had hit the net and I assumed it created a temporary glitch.

I just accessed my feedreader to your site and an error message kept popping up, but it did not

prevent me from finally accessing the page. The error box contained the following info:

Internet Explorer Script Error

Line: 1

Char: 1

Error: Invalid char

Code: 0

Do you want to continue running script on this page

Yes No

I kept hitting Yes and after four yes hits the page appeared. I do not run Internet Explorer (NS7).

I got the same error accessing 4 other pages, so the problem is endemic to your site. I had no

problem accessing other sites just to see if it was my problem or your problem.

If this happened only on that one day then it certainly seems to be a problem with a DOS attack or a server-side problem (like the page not being served correctly.

Anyway, the issue may have been resolved now. GoogleBot and MSNBot have worked overtime at Hypography and brought the server to a halt many days in a row. It took a while for the ISP to dig out the problem but in the end they isolated our forums as the main problem. It should have been taken care of now.

Originally posted by: Tormod

GoogleBot and MSNBot have worked overtime at Hypography and brought the server to a halt many days in a row. It took a while for the ISP to dig out the problem but in the end they isolated our forums as the main problem. It should have been taken care of now.

So you personally brought your provider to their knees?

And how much are they going to increase your hosting costs? :-)

Are you using the category RSS or the old full-forum RSS? Because the one that used to be on the front page had to be disabled due to security issues.

Anyway...strange that you get errors. Could you perhaps post which reader you use? Then I could try it and check it out for myself.

Originally posted by: Freethinker

Originally posted by: Tormod

GoogleBot and MSNBot have worked overtime at Hypography and brought the server to a halt many days in a row. It took a while for the ISP to dig out the problem but in the end they isolated our forums as the main problem. It should have been taken care of now.

So you personally brought your provider to their knees?

And how much are they going to increase your hosting costs? :-)

Yup, it seems we cost them quite a bit since they had a technician work on it for several days, as far as I could understand. But all they did was notify me of the problem and thank me for blocking the spiders.

(I was a bit worried that they'd just shut down our entire site...

But then again, Hypography has the best host in the world, Crystaltech - http://www.crystaltech.com/ - highly recommended.