Science Forums

Dream holiday

Yvonne

Where should the 2005 Hypography Convention take place?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Where should the 2005 Hypography Convention take place?

• Italy
    • Denmark
    • England
    • Norway
    • Netherlands
    • Greece
    • NO - it must be in North America
    • My choice is not represented, so I'll answer in a post

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by: Yvonne

Originally posted by: IrishEyes

Actually, do they sell Swedish Fish in Norway?

if we don't have them here. Are they salty? sweet? sour? (spelling... eh..)

I would bet they are like French Fries. They are called "Swedish Fish" but have no actual connection to Sweden. They are just red "gummie bears" shaped like fish. Actually they predate gummie bears by quite a bit. But I am guessing that "gummie bears" is a better known item.

Originally posted by: Freethinker

Originally posted by: Yvonne

Great! I really hope this Denmark-meeting happens. But my guess is next summer is more realistic than late November? Or am I wrong?

I was just trying to be "cute". There is a particular international competition (Cup) held there then.

Must be the International Atheists's "I Believe Less Than You" Cup.

Originally posted by: Tormod

Must be the International Atheists's "I Believe Less Than You" Cup.

With the new reference, it is definately not just Atheists! If anything will help you see god! :-)

Originally posted by: Tormod

Sounds pretty close to me...it must be the "I forgot more about the sixties than you" Cup.

Oh, were you around in the sixties? I don't remember seing you... Or anyone specifically I guess...

I spoke to the hubby last night and we agreed that we are taking a European vacation next year, without the kids. It will only be for a long weekend, probably a Thursday through Tuesday, I'd go into shock any longer than that. Thursday and Tuesday will be travel days.

Now we need to figure out where we are going, and who will be joining us. I'd say that a villa in Italy would be awesome, but others have mentioned other ideas. Denmark still sounds cool, is anyone else interested? Mr Irish and I are totally serious about this, so anyone else that would like to have a Hypography European meeting needs to post where you would prefer to go, and then we'll take a vote.

I think so far, we've mentioned Denmark, Italy and Greece. Any other suggestions? England would be affordable for East Coasters, as i know BritAir does cheap flights in the spring. Come on, guys, this is really going to happen, at least for the Irish couple, and hopefully Yvonne and Tormod too. Who else????

If we could get 5 couples, there are some really incredible Italian villas that would be affordable... We've only got about $5000 to spend on this little venture, but that includres airfare, so the villa idea anywhere would be best for us.

Of course, that means we'd all have to be nice to each other for a week, but hey...

Yvonne, what's your e-mail address. I'll send you some links from my villa-finder. I get monthly e-mails about villas in Italy, just because it's my dream to go back. We could have a blast with this. I'm already getting excited!!

Ok, 8 couples (or 16 total, with people willing to share rooms) and we could be staying here...

http://italianvillas.com/db/view.pl?636-1

It breaks down to roughly $500 per person, for the week, during the height of the summer. Cheaper during the spring and fall. Then add airfare, food, and SHOPPING. I think most of us could probably afford it. Of course, I'm not sure that tim's mom would let him join us...

Can you tell that i'm really leaning towards the Italy angle? Of course, Greece would be ok too. We spent 4 days in Chania, Crete,a nd loved EVERY second of it. And then there's Turkey. Antallyah was amazing, and Turkey has the best vegetables I've ever tasted in my life.

Tormod and Yvonne are in. What about you, Unc? And FreeT and your SO??? geko, you gonna join us? sanctus? Telemad?

It shall be very interesting to meet you people. All of you. About age and looks and apperances.... It would be very interesting to see if my picture fits.

I'm very easy going, so a villa would suit me fine. Tormod has been calling it the "Hypography Convention". And when in Italy there are plenty of scientific things to explore other than science museums, such as how expensive can shoes be? And where's the parmesan cheese gone?

Mr. Irish just suggested that maybe instead of an Italian villa, we could go stay in an English castle. I think he's trying to get close to the homeland. I keep promising we'll visit Ireland one day, but 'something' always seems to happen.

Anyhow, now we've got Denamrk, Italy, Greece, and England on the table. I think we all see that Italy has the vote of at three of us right now, but I remember yvonne saying she liked London, and we've never been, so that would be ok with me too.

Hypography Convention, huh? Hmmm, I like the sound of that. Will post more later, Have a good night...

Originally posted by: IrishEyes

FreeT: Oh, were you around in the sixties?

Oh, please. Tormod was NOT around in the sixties. He wasn't even a twinkle in his daddy's eye in the sixties!! Not everyone is as old as you, FreeT!!!!!

Weeeeeell....TECHNICALLY there is no year 0, right? So the sixties started in 1961, not 1960. And since I was born in 1970, er, ...

Oh well, so I would have to be an observer at FT's Memory Lane Cup but that actually sounds like a good deal anyway. See ya there, FT. I'll be your cheerleader!