Science Forums

V for Vendetta

Pyrotex

My wife and I just saw the new movie, "V for Vendetta".

We were totally blown away. We weren't even out of the theatre before we had sworn that we were going back to watch it again this week.

This may be the best movie I have seen in years.

No. Wait. As far as "movies" go, I imagine the LOTR trilogy, The Matrix, and Serenity were better movies. But V for Vendetta is the most important movie I have seen in years. On top of that, it is definately in the top 10 for the Best movie, as well.

Wachowski Brothers! Need I say more? They directed the Matrix and they did the same fantastic job for "V".

But the "philosophy" or message in The Matrix was kind of thin. The message in "V" is crystal clear, solid as titanium, and focused as a laser. You MUST see this movie.

Interesting how polarized the Rotten Tomatoes reviews are.

Either "Awesome! Where's my pitchfork, I'm marching on the White House! I knew he was the Antichrist!"

or "Traitorz! You are with teh terrorists."

With a sprinkling of uber-liberal whining about sophisticated arguments.

Slant Magazine hated it though. Which means it's awesome. You can always depend on them to hate anything good.

TFS

I didn't care for it myself. Its central message was over-done, I thought. I got the retelling of the Count of Monte Christo without needing to have it hammered home quite so blatantly. And I thought its message of 'the government uses fear to control us' was passe. I mean, is there still antone who doesnt realise this?

Having said that, I liked its look, and the fight scenes were fun.

..And I thought its message of 'the government uses fear to control us' was passe. I mean, is there still anyone who doesnt realise this?...

I dare say that probably 90% or more of Americans do not have a clue that the government uses fear as a controlling agent. Of those, probably a third wouldn't believe it even if you proved it.

Well, many of you have given me good food for thought. I had no idea the comic book was that old. Interesting. Many of the actors are English, but it never occurred to me that it was an English movie. Is it? And I am surprised that one or more of you thought the core message was too blunt. I'm not disagreeing with you, it's just that I'm surprised. And I may just start another thread: Are Americans really dense/stupid compared to Europeans? Thanks!!! :rolleyes:

I dare say that probably 90% or more of Americans
do not have a clue
that the government uses fear as a controlling agent. Of those, probably a third wouldn't believe it even if you proved it.

What?!? The government uses fear as a controlling agent? Are you out of your mind? The government is elected "for the people, by the people." They are ALWAYS looking out for our best interests!! I mean, geesh, the nerve... Some people are so unpatriotic asking such questions and making such assertions. If you don't like it, why don't you move to another country! Hmmpfff.

Now, back to these wonderful articles and news stories about bird flu, Iran having nukes, North Korea, China, and how terrorists are about to infultrate my underwear drawer... Ahhh...

[sarcasm] I am never misinformed by my government. :phones: [/sarcasm]