Science Forums

HACK, the greatest Computer Game Ever!

Freethinker

OK, let me provide a little explanation. HACK is what is known as a Roguelike game. Rogue was a D&D based game originally made for unix systems in the early '80's. It was HACKED to add more functions and features, thus HACK the game. It came out '84-85 for DOS.

The current version is available for various operating systems including Windows and PALM OS.

But it is still based on the original low tech/ high game play design of the game. If you are looking for the latest and greatest 3D gaming engine, DOOM 3 is out soon. (Make sure you have the latest video card, plenty of RAM and lots of Processor power.) Hack uses ANSI character based display. The game screen is alpha characters, e.g. YOU are the "@" symbol, your companion dog is a lower case "d".

But it offers far more interaction and has more strategy than the more graphically advanced games.

That said, you can learn about the game and it's history at:

http://www.freewebs.com/drussell/RevivedHack.htm

It will lead you to, and you can download the game at:

http://www.freewebs.com/drussell/Download.htm

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not very into computer games. I was a Solitaire addict for a very long time, but have outgrown that. Actually though, thanks to Mr. Irish's recent install of LINUX on my computer, I've been trying out some of the regularly installed games. My current fave is KAtomic. I've actually gotten my kids into this one as well. Has anyone else seen or played this game? I think it is a great exercise in thinking outside the box, and it is also a very basic intro to chemistry. What fun!!

• 5 months later...

Oh, jeez. Now I've wasted a whole 15 mins. I've never liked the Doom games, but I thought I was done with my Hack addiction. I should delete this Revised Hack thing before I waste anymore time. For historical purposes, I recommend this to everyone who wants to know what it was like back in the dark ages before memory mapped video...this one was a breakthrough...and thanks to Ken Arnold, it ran on an ADM 3a....

You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike...

Cheers,

Buffy

• 1 year later...
Does anybody know where I could find the source code for Rogue?

I prefer hack, which is really just rogue except it keeps a database of past games and creates "ghosts" from your old dead selves, so it makes it more interesting. There are some compiled windows versions around, but you can use most sources of rogue or hack along with PDCurses to emulate the screen library. The definitive archive appears to be here: http://roguelikedevelopment.org/archive/

I have the original hack source lying around somewhere, and if you pester me enough I might go find it.

You hit the Gnome, the Gnome hits,

Buffy

I have become addicted to a modern variant of D&D called "Fate". There was a demo version on my new HP computer I bought before Christmas; it let me play one hour for free. At the end of the hour, it halted, showing me only the flash screen and a link.

I screamed. I linked. I paid the $20. I downloaded the full version. And I hacked and slashed for 117 hours before I killed the Elite Bloodthrasher on the 51st level. That took six weeks. God, what a total waste of time.

all this talk of old school computer games reminds me....

I used to play this reaaaallly old game. I can't remember the name of it.... but I LOVED IT.

I havn't been able to find out what it was.... I would absolutely LOVE to download it again.

It was some weird game... where you'd launch things over a mountain... and try to kill the king of the opposite player.

kinda like pocket tanks. only, it had no color.... it was just black and white... and the kings were always burried in a chamber underground. I LOVED it.

Anyone know what game this is?

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...