Science Forums

Expanding Earth?

Turtle

___I listened to this fella Neal Adams(creator of Batman!) discuss on the radio the idea that Earth (actually all planets/moons/stars) expand over time. Very interesting point of view, albeit a 'strange claim' by mainstream views. We have discussed this some in regard to Earth having a fusion core, but Neal doesn't pose that hypothesis.

___Anyway, here's the meta-link & my question "how would you prove/disprove experimentally this proposed expansion"?

http://www.nealadams.com/nmu.html

:eek2:

Ahh, good ole thread. He really did get angry when people didn't take his words as fact.

His profile's still there, you can probably email him if you're interested in his stuff.

:evil: You could even ask him back, might be fun to see a second bout now that he's had more time to collect his thoughts.

___Nice job JayQ!:( Now some of my generalist observations.:)

___As to any angry tone in the aforementioned thread, I see it began with Tmad.

___Inviting the fella back!? To what end? Set him up for some more pummeling? I think not.

___The 'subduction' question aside for a moment, there is a matter of fact he has exposited that everyone seems to miss, or at least not address. To whit the fit of continents. What he has shown is that the continents don't just fit up South America-to-Africa etc. as in the texts, but they fit up on the Pacific sides as well. This appears to contradict the Pangea idea with a single continent on one side of Earth & the rest ocean. How else to explain fits all-round unless Earth were smaller?

___From listening to his radio talk I understood him to say he can't find anyone who has compared the rocks on either side of the Pacific "joins" as has been done between S. America/Africa.

___I think it's an interesting idea that deserves better than angry diatribes & insults. Science for everyone, remember? I did after all put it in the Strange Claims; hell, I'm going looking for Bigfoot tomorrow for crying out loud.:) :shrug:

The universe Model in F-Theory Dynamics.

F=Father Fabric (alike space-time)

String theory is now looking at 12 dimensions to complete its explanations. Un desterbed father fabric being 12 dimensions relaxed, when it does not move, as einstien said, nothing happens.

12 dimensionional father fabric (F-theory) interact as one. This results in the universe we see. Expanding from feeding on F. Has many versions of dimensions regarding on how you manipulate the fudamentals. 12 unites into 1 = U (universal reality) determined to Mass-Energy scale.

Once the fabric is given momentum (on a large scale) it then has 'motion' at which things can happen. When the fabric has disturbances in motion forces arise. Large scale, gravity, light, and magnatism. All expanding, and feeding on specific sections of F-fabric. All forces of nature, natural response when motion is set in the F-fabric. It is forced to expand and feed itself as long as disturbance momentum continues.

Not unlike the bernoulli principle. Frictionless disturbances in F-fabric on multiple scales manifest forces on different energy levels, ever lasting.

Prior to the acceptance of plate tectonics an Expanding Earth and a Shrinking Earth had both been proposed to explain global tectonic features.

One general observation: the highly dismissive tone used by Adams of conventional wisdom is a technique used by pseudoscientists, but should have no place in a serious presentation of hypotheses. I think it detracts from the attention that his proposal may merit.

"how would you prove/disprove experimentally this proposed expansion"?
This is not quite a disproof, but I am puzzled as to how he accounts for the observed motions of the plates. He roundly decries as nonsense the notion that tectonic plates exist and can move around the planet, yet we have carried out measurements of this movement. It matches the theory. This single suite of observations appears to invalidate his hypothesis.

12 dimensionional father fabric (F-theory) interact as one. This results in the universe we see. Expanding from feeding on F. Has many versions of dimensions regarding on how you manipulate the fudamentals. 12 unites into 1 = U (universal reality) determined to Mass-Energy scale....

Very interesting perspective; moreover, similar to Buckminster Fuller's geometric views. I have to ask Arkain, how can I interest you in a nice Synergetics today? More directly, do you not know about Fuller's work?:shrug:

Prior to the acceptance of plate tectonics an Expanding Earth and a Shrinking Earth had both been proposed to explain global tectonic features.

Agreed; the guy says as much.

One general observation: the highly dismissive tone used by Adams of conventional wisdom is a technique used by pseudoscientists, but should have no place in a serious presentation of hypotheses. I think it detracts from the attention that his proposal may merit.

My agreement again; let us not get distracted.

This is not quite a disproof, but I am puzzled as to how he accounts for the observed motions of the plates. He roundly decries as nonsense the notion that tectonic plates exist and can move around the planet, yet we have carried out measurements of this movement. It matches the theory. This single suite of observations appears to invalidate his hypothesis.

I don't think he decries plates or their motion, rather the circumstance of the motion. His claim is the plates move apart as new matter is created inside Earth & the new material is filling in the cracks as the entire Earth (all planets & moons too) grows. Simply that Earth is bigger now than it once was.

In that vein, I suggest the growth may have puncuated patterning, i.e. not a steady growth. Grows rapidly a while, grows slowly a while, doesn't ghrow at all awhile, etc..

Again, we must account for not just continental plate margin matches across the Atlantic & Indian Oceans, but simlilar matches across the Pacific that he has demonstrated with his mapping.:) :cup:

Very interesting perspective; moreover, similar to Buckminster Fuller's geometric views. I have to ask Arkain, how can I interest you in a nice Synergetics today? More directly, do you not know about Fuller's work?

I honestly had to google the word Synergetics, and didnt find anything in time to explain it well enough for me to get an idea of what exactly it is.

Nope, I have not heard of Fuller or his work.

F-theory is something which unites everything in my view for the first time. Why? because everything imaginable is a specific type of disturbance in the multi-dimensional fabric. The constants we find in nature, are what I propose as evidence of the details of this infinite Source Fabric. That which is all. As soon as 'energy' is set off in this Ff, depending on its quanity and energy and what not determines if its going to function as matter or energy.

To summerize, All the the little details of the physical universe, are specificly detailed motions in the exact same Father Fabric source.

I honestly had to google the word Synergetics, and didnt find anything in time to explain it well enough for me to get an idea of what exactly it is.

Nope, I have not heard of Fuller or his work.

Then you're in for a treat; follow the link in my sig for a complete & free online copy of Synergetics (the name of one of Fuller's books).

On the Jupiter idea, we rather do that already with radio sending digitized images. Mmmm...I guess the difference is the large telescope needs no power source though...:rain:

I don't think he (Adams) decries plates or their motion, rather the circumstance of the motion.
Just play video clip #7 on his site, where he alternates scathing and patronising remarks about conventional plate tectonics.
His claim is the plates move apart as new matter is created inside Earth & the new material is filling in the cracks as the entire Earth (all planets & moons too) grows.
The point I was making is that we know from measurements of plate motion that some plates are colliding and this motion can only be accomodated by plate tectonic theory, not by his expanding Earth conjecture. The observations of plate motion run wholly counter to his theory. Only if he rejects these well validated measurements can his theory remain intact.
Again, we must account for not just continental plate margin matches across the Atlantic & Indian Oceans, but simlilar matches across the Pacific that he has demonstrated with his mapping.
I found his matching quite unconvincing. I need more than a neat animation to convince me of its reality.

I found his matching quite unconvincing. I need more than a neat animation to convince me of its reality.

Now that is what I have waited to hear!:cup: Without the details of how the animation is managed/constructed, it might as well be a scene in a Jimmy Neutron cartoon.:rolleyes:

I wonder though, since he used apparently the same animation technique for the Jovian moon, and if we don't accept expanding planets, does this indicate that plate tectonics is active on the Jovian moon?:D

gotta love Jimmy Neutron!

The animation no matter how convicing could have been rigged numerous times to fit - but at the same time if it where true, do we really now how the surface of a planet would behave while it is expanding.. I would also like to see a scientific explanation for this overall decrease in density within the planet

gotta love Jimmy Neutron!

The animation no matter how convicing could have been rigged numerous times to fit - but at the same time if it where true, do we really now how the surface of a planet would behave while it is expanding.. I would also like to see a scientific explanation for this overall decrease in density within the planet

Maybe Earth expands producing moving tectonic plates. I have rigged up my own little Turtle shell-map . I did no scaling; I translated Africa, Antartica, & Asia after rotating them 23 degrees anti-clockwise & conected them to West coast of Americas. If the fit is true, adjoining shorlines ought to have similar rock types.:eek2:

I'm just going to admit that I didn't watch all his clips (just the first three). When I watched the first animation my initial reaction was WTF! this guy's onto something. However, on reflection a couple of big issues came up.

The first is that if all the land masses once filled the entire globe, and land currently only occupies roughly 30% of the surface, the Earth would have been many magnitudes smaller at this time. Assuming the growth of the Earth was constant, to get to its current size the Earth would have to have been ridiculously small 4 billion years ago.

The second issue is that the way he has animated the joining together is based solely on physical shape and ignores other evidence for pangeae such as palaeontological and geomagnetic records etc.

As has already been pointed out, just because you can come up with a cute animation, doesn't mean its right.