Science Forums

Nikola Tesla, the real deal

Racoon

Ok Hypographites! I cut/pasted my paper on Nikola Tesla for those of you who have a few minutes on their hand. I wrote this about 2 years ago...

I know many of you voted for Nick as the greatest scientific mind... Enjoy, and add any more insights you might have!! :hihi:

A brilliant man was born on a Croatian farm, in the small village of Smilijan, on July 9, 1856. His name was Nikola Tesla. Nikola’s parents were Serbian. His father was an Orthodox priest; his mother worked at home and had a knack for inventing tools for the farm. But there was something very special about Nikola.

He was a dreamer with a unique mental ability. In flashes, he could visualize inventions within his mind with complete detail. His first “invention” as a boy was a rotary engine. It was powered by insects he had glued to a paper wheel.

From an early age, Nikola showed a strong interest in mathematics, mechanics, and physics. Ever the romantic dreamer, young Tesla could speak four languages by the time he was 17 as well. It has been said by Tesla himself in his autobiography that at a young age he began seeing flashes of light that interfered with his physical vision; something that could only be described as “amazing”. Nikola at times had trouble distinguishing between a spoken object and the real because of his intense visualizations and flashes.

At nineteen he entered the Technical University in Graz, Austria and began training as an engineer. He took courses in physics and mathematics. From there, He went to the University of Prague and started taking philosophy. He condensed his studies by completing two years in one; by working 19 hours a day, sleeping only two, and suffering a complete nervous breakdown!

During his years of studies, his hearing and vision intensified beyond normal human capacity. He could sense like a bat. His senses were so heightened, the flashes of light so vivid, that just a word would become an intense image he could feel and taste. These flashes of brilliance intensified over time until he was about 25. During those periods of flashes, Nikola had some of his greatest and lasting ideas; including his alternating current induction motor.

When Tesla settled down to Earth a bit, he took a job as an electrical engineer for the Central Telegraph Office in Budapest. It was 1881, and the following year he moved on to Paris to employ himself for Continental Edison Company. After hours, Tesla constructed his first induction motor.

At this point, Tesla decided to move to America. He sailed off in 1884 with four cents in his pocket. Edison immediately snatched up his services.

This was an important time in Tesla’s life, as Edison differed quite sharply about how to provide electricity to Edison’s newly invented light bulb. This would unfortunately work against Nikola for the rest of his years because Edison had the money men in his corner.

Edison ripped off Tesla. Thomas made a false promise to Nikola by telling him that if he could repair all the broken and faulty motors and generators within the Edison plant that he would get $50,000. Well Tesla took on the challenge with gusto and fixed them all within record time.

Tesla came back to Edison for the money he had promised, but Edison reneged and insisted that he was merely joking at the time. Of course Tesla didn’t find it very funny or amusing and decided to ditch that gig.

Tesla was at a low point in his life. He got shammed by Edison and had to start digging ditches to pay the bills. He was shoveling dirt for $2 a day when he met a Mr. Brown of Western Union Telegraph. He was impressed by Tesla and threw in some money for some of Nikola’s projects and interested a friend. Brown’s friend was Westinghouse, and he commisioned the budding genius to design the AC generators for his Niagra-Falls project.

Tesla and Edison were agaain rivals as Edison tried to champion his direct current (DC) system while Westinghouse decided wisely by choosing Tesla’s alternating current (AC) system. The problem was Tesla and Edison were practically opposites when it came to theory and personality. Tesla was a strikingly handsome man; very neat and clean. He was a big idea person; it came in flashes of brilliance. Whereas Thomas Edison was much more methodical and practical.

Edison was also very adamant about the superiority of DC current and went great lengths trying to discredit and humiliate Tesla. He even went so far as to electrocute poor Topsy the elephant in a wretching public display-. By Edison’s propagandist tactics, he tried to persuade the public to buy his DC current. AC current eventually triumphed.

AC current has many advantages to it. Unlike DC current, AC can be stepped up or down by a transformer to a different voltage. DC requires a switch mode for converting voltage which is more expensive and less efficient. Tesla’s use of higher voltage made it more efficient to transmit the power. The efficiency increase is due to Ohm’s Law which states that electrical energy losses are dependent on the current flow in a conductor.

The power losses in the conductor are described by the formula :

P = I squared x R. That implies that if the current is doubled, the power loss will be four times greater. Therefor it becomes advantageous to transmit and convert the power into extremely high voltages ( sometimes up to hundreds of kilovolts ). But that could be dangerous ,and usually the power gets “stepped down” for practical uses.

So in May of 1885, George Westinghouse purchased the patents for Nikola’s induction motor, the poly-phase system of alternating-current dynamos, transformers, and other motors for a mere $60,000 ($5,000 in cash and 150 shares of stock). After Westinghouse won the contract to supply the Chicago World Fair of 1893 with electricity, Tesla’s reputation soared. Soon after, Westinghouse Electric and General Electric teamed forces to use Niagra-Falls for energy production, using Tesla technology.

As the market for electricity increased, the distance for which it had to travel increased. Tesla’s AC current was more efficient and adaptable.

Tesla was doing well and his eccentricities surfaced. He became accomplished and recognized. Many a woman with plans tried to lure the attractive Nikola into their salon; he was an inspiration for those who were around him. However, Nikola would remain unattainable and never marry.

He remained celibate and always preferred to dine alone. He became increasingly germ phobic and always requested a clean table cloth, avoided shaking hands, and washed his hands frequently. He always measured his food and weighed 142 pounds throughout his lifetime. Nikola was a fastidious dresser ; he wore new gloves weekly and a new tie daily. He always slept four hours per night. He became friends with Mark Twain and a few other social intellects of the time. He enjoyed poetry, the opera, and a glass of wine or beer. He was quiet, modest, and reclusive.

However, Tesla got the short end of the stick again. The electricity business took off and Wesringhouse was to pay Nikola $2.50 per kilowatt hour sold, which quickly added up to around $12 million! Well, George told Tesla that he was sorry he couldn’t pay him or otherwise he’d go broke.

Tesla, not being a very good business man, tore up the contract so people could benefit from cheap electricity. Tesla did make a million by the time he was forty, but gave up his royalties of extremely profitable inventions in a gesture of humanitarianism. His dream was to provide free, if not cheap, electricity to all people.

In April of 1887 he set out and set up his own laboratory. His mind worked out all kinds of inventions. In 1888 he found that a magnetic field could be made to rotate if a pair of coils at right angles were supplied with AC current, and the AC induction motor was born. He also experimented with shadowgraphs, which later led to the discovery of X-rays. Tesla’s mind cranked out many ideas, inventions, and patents in a whirlwind of pure brilliance and creativity.

Among his ideas and inventions were radio-frequency electromagnetic waves. Despite what history and Marconi said, Tesla invented the radio as we now know it. Unfortunately, he wasn’t given his proper respect until the U.S. Supreme Court finally overturned Marconi’s claims; but it wasn’t till Tesla had been dead.

Tesla also ‘sparked’ the invention of his Tesla coil as a way to generate and receive radio wave energy. When you start your car, the ignition produces a spark, and is a unit that is either wholly or partially a Tesla coil.

Tesla’s greatness was his phenomenal understanding of electricity; especially as it was in it’s infancy. He invented motors that run our everyday appliances, created fluorescent bulbs in his lab some 40 years before industry “discovered” them, and even a unique device that scientists today are beginning to see as remarkably efficient; the bladeless boundary disk turbine!

Another clash between Edison and Tesla loomed. It was World War I and the German submarines were wreaking havoc. The government put Edison in charge of finding a way to detect the subs. Again, Nikola’s advanced thinking proposed using energy waves- what we know today as ‘radar’. Good old Edison rejected Tesla’s claims as absurd and completely preposterous. 25 years passed before they found out Nikola was right.

Tesla’s deep desire to provide wireless electricity around the globe prompted him to build a laboratory in Colorado Springs. It contained the largest Tesla Coil ever built and he called it the ‘magnifying transmitter’.

The monstrosity could pump up some 300,000 watts of juice, and according to local accounts, Tesla managed to transmit some 30-50 thousand watts of it and create a bolt of lightening some 130 feet!

However, Tesla’s real problems were he was going broke, and he had to scrap the tower to pay off his debts.

Tesla’s major financier was the super wealthy J.P. Morgan. Again, Tesla would get the shaft because his theory would provide people with free electricity and Morgan would have no part in anything for free. Soon after words, Morgan pulled the carpet from under Tesla.

Tesla, despite his accomplishments, was now poor. By 1915, he was bouncing from one cheap motel to an other, living on credit. He was a victim of his own terrible business decisions. He didn’t have the money to get more of his ideas developed and he never could quite come up with something as profitable as his AC current system. From there he was exploited, his ideas used by others as their own, and thought mad from some of his postulating. ( like the idea of wireless transmission of voice, picture, and electricity)

Tesla had few friends but Mark Twain was one. He received birthday cards from Einstein an De Forest and a few others. However, Nikola withdrew from the world which criticized and exploited him. He would pass his time in the New York Public Library or he would be out feeding pigeons. He considered his pigeons “ my sincere friends “.

Eventually Tesla aged and his heart was giving out. He would have fainting spells and suffer from confusion. One day January 1, 1943, Nikola complained of chest pains during an experiment and retired to his hotel room. There he stayed until he died, they believe, on January 7, 1943.

Over 2,000 people attended his funeral. The world lost a bright and vigorous mind.

Some of Tesla’s early patents from 1903 suggest he may also be the father of the transistor; modern computer makers continually run into Nikola’s patents # 723,188 and #725,605. They contain the basic principles of logic AND circuit element basics! His brilliance knew no boundaries and he developed such ideas remote control, believed in harnessing solar and geothermal power, and invented the vacuum tube amplifier ( de Forest receiving the credit ). The list goes on and on.

Nikola Tesla was an original thinker and at the time his ideas were completely unprecedented. He was a renaissance man that went unrewarded throughout his lifetime. Today, scientists understand many of his innovative flashes and continues to scour his notes. Some notes are still being held secretly by the U.S. military (allegedly). Indeed we all owe Nikola Tesla a debt of gratitude for his selfless contribution to science and our communities. Without Tesla we might still be living in the dark.

“ The present is theirs; the future for which I really work, is mine”

Guest chendoh

the more things change the more they stay the same.

even though he was from a different time, he was still a victim of the classes....classless?

I feel that all of us experience this locally or globally at some time or another, I know I have, I also, have had thoughts and ideas stolen from me for someone eles's gain, and I tire of living with bullies, but I don't know enough to stay down. I keep getting up for the next round.

My credo of....the good lord didn't put me here to cause trouble.....just doesn't seem to work for some.

....the only thing faster than light is your mind ;) .....

my, isn't that a form of electro-magnitism?.......chendoh

• 14 years later...

Dr. John G. Trump was the main government official who went over Tesla's secret papers after his death in 1943. At the time, Trump was a well-known electrical engineer serving as a technical aide to the National Defense Research Committee of the Office of Scientific Research & Development, Technical Aids, Div. 14, NTRC (predecessor agency to the CIA's Office of Scientific Intelligence).

Trump was also a professor at M.I.T., and had his feelings hurt by Tesla's 1938 review and critique of M.I.T.'s huge Van de Graaff generator with its two thirty-foot towers and two 15-foot-diameter (4.6 m) balls, mounted on railroad tracks - which Tesla showed could be out-performed in both voltage and current by one of his tiny coils about two feet tall.

Trump was asked to participate in the examination of Tesla's papers at the Manhattan Warehouse & Storage Co. Trump reported afterwards that no examination had been made of the vast amount of Tesla's property, that had been in the basement of the New Yorker Hotel, ten years prior to Tesla's death, or of any of his papers, except those in his immediate possession at the time of his death. Trump concluded in his report, that there was nothing that would constitute a hazard in unfriendly hands.

At the time of his death, Tesla had been working on the Teleforce weapon, or 'death ray,' that he had unsuccessfully marketed to the US War Department. It appears that Teleforce was related to his research into ball lightning and plasma, and was conceived as a particle beam weapon. The US government did not find a prototype of the device in the safe.

After the FBI was contacted by the War Department, his papers were declared to be top secret. The personal effects were sequestered on the advice of presidential advisers; J. Edgar Hoover declared the case most secret, because of the nature of Tesla's inventions and patents.

One document stated that "he is reported to have some 80 trunks in different places containing transcripts and plans having to do with his experiments". Altogether, in Tesla's effects, there were the contents of his safe, two truckloads of papers and apparati from his hotel, another 75 packing crates and trunks in a storage facility, and another 80 large storage trunks in another storage facility. The Navy and several "federal officials" spent two days microfilming some of the stuff at the Office of Alien Properties storage facility in 1943, and that was it, until Oct., 1945.

Tesla's family and the Yugoslav embassy struggled with the American authorities to gain these items after his death because of the potential significance of some of his research. Eventually Mr. Kosanovic won possession of the materials, which are now housed in the Nikola Tesla Museum.

https://www.crystalinks.com/tesla.html

https://teslaresearch.jimdofree.com/wardenclyffe-lab-1901-1906/

Edit @Thoth101 Shumann resonances from the link above "The normal mode descriptions of Schumann Resonances are quasi standing wave electromagnetic waves that exist in the Earth–ionosphere cavity trough the circumference of the Earth. Like waves on a spring, they are not present all the time, but have to be 'excited' to be observed. They are not caused by anything internal to the Earth, its crust or its core. They seem to be related to electrical activity in the atmosphere, particularly during times of intense lightning activity. This lowest-frequency (and highest-intensity) mode of the Schumann resonance at several frequencies between 6.5 and 50 cycles per second; specifically 7.83, 14, 20, 26, 33, 39 and 45 Hertz, with a daily variation of about +/- 0.5 Hertz. This variation is caused by different factors. So long as the properties of Earth's electromagnetic cavity remains about the same, these frequencies remain the same. Presumably there is some change due to the solar sunspot cycle as the Earth's ionosphere changes in response to the 11-year cycle of solar activity. Schumann resonances are most easily seen between 2000 and 2200 UT. Such solar-induced perturbations to the ionosphere are able to compress or to produce deformations on the upper wall of the closed cavity."

If your mildly worried about 5G Tesla would freak you out.

Curiosity I read an IEE paper many years back, which I cant find a reference too, which spoke of a problem with positive charge coming down the Wardyncliffe tower discharging the Leyden Jars. Tesla had to insulate the ground connection in some way to prevent this happening.

Positive charge flowing to ground kind of stuck in my head! Lightning can cause positrons to be formed in Lightning clouds as proven by NASA. A Curiosity ! Maybe nothing, worth considering.

I think you posted in the wrong thread. This one is about Tesla.

HaHa, could be I am posting on the wrong forum. You never read the link I posted above on Tesla did you, which is where I quoted the reference above from. It explains briefly what Tesla was attempting to do, via the Schumann resonances of the earth. He was hoping to transmit power wirelessly all around the world, if you believe his publicity, at a lot higher power level than your mobile phone transmitter.

Tesla Coils work at extremely high voltage levels ionizing the air around them, creating a blue plasma or flame. If you are in close proximity to one working, they induce currents in your fillings, making your fillings hurt. Mobile phone transmitters dont do this, and you are worried about mobile phones. 

Tesla was likely autistic savant, with a particular interest in electricity. Many of his articles he wrote were self publicity trying to raise funds for his projects. One ref flying machines referred to machines being suspended by "veritable ropes in the sky" . Not all of his patents worked, his most successful invention was the AC induction motor. Edison was into DC power, and he held the development of Teslas ideas back. Clearly AC power transmission is the now and was back then the best way to transmit power. 

Tesla designed many different types of coils of different shapes and sizes, with different properties. His Bifilar wound pancake coils are still of interest to Tesla hobbyists and can produce incredibly high voltages, what was he planning on using these for?. The usual coil you see associated with Tesla works on resonance, the voltage is allowed to resonante up and down the coil until eventually it reaches voltages sufficient to ionize the air around it. These are the ones you see in black and white Frankenstein movies, and those whereby you see Tesla sat on a chair in his lab surrounded by discharges from the coil. 

Actually my bad I saw Shumann resonances and I thought you were still on that topic in this thread so I glossed over it. It seems the 5G is already effecting my brain. :lol: So you were trying to make a connection I see now.

I can't read your full link until I am on a home PC . Well yea because of Tesla is the reason we have WiFI. I am not sure what you are trying to prove? My guitar amp has a very high voltage also but the damage that will do is to my ears. It won't infect my internal systems. You have to remember the entities putting this specific WiFi and 5G aren't out for our best interests. And it seems sometimes Tesla wasn't either because he was inventing weapons that can be used for war. Such as:

Tesla worked on plans for a directed-energy weapon between the early 1900s till the time of his death.

In 1937, Tesla composed a treatise entitled "The Art of Projecting Concentrated Non-dispersive Energy through the Natural Media" concerning charged particle beams. Tesla published the document in an attempt to expound on the technical description of a "superweapon that would put an end to all war". This treatise of the particle beam is currently in the Nikola Tesla Museum archive in Belgrade. It described an open ended vacuum tube with a gas jet seal that allowed particles to exit, a method of charging particles to millions of volts, and a method of creating and directing nondispersive particle streams (through electrostatic repulsion).

Records of his indicate that it was based on a narrow stream of atomic clusters of liquid mercury or tungsten accelerated via high voltage (by means akin to his magnifying transformer). Tesla gave the following description concerning the particle gun's operation. The nozzle would send concentrated beams of particles through the free air, of such tremendous energy that they will bring down a fleet of 10,000 enemy airplanes at a distance of 200 miles from a defending nation's border and will cause armies to drop dead in their tracks.

The weapon could be used against ground based infantry or for antiaircraft purposes. Tesla tried to interest the US War Department in the device. He also offered this invention to European countries. None of the governments purchased a contract to build the device. He was unable to act on his plans

https://www.crystalinks.com/tesla.html

One of the things I did admire about Tesla is that he was trying to give everyone free energy. But nobody is perfect and we all have our faults. Some more then others.

Edited by Thoth101

When you do read the link, you might understand what I was driving at.

Some of Teslas later ideas, were just that ideas. They never got past the drawing board. His patents are freely available to download. His death ray and flying machines are examples of those that did not work. Many people with ideas patent them without constructing them, Tesla was no different in that respect.  Marconi and Tesla were not the first to use Radio waves, they were however the first to try and patent them. Hertz is accredited with the first radio transmissions in a lab. https://allthatsinteresting.com/famous-inventors/3  Might that be why frequency is measured in Hertz and not marconis. Teslas are used for magnetic flux not frequency.

How many volts does your guitar amp produce, Tesla coils easily hit 1000000 Volts some go a lot higher. Comparing your guitar amplifiers voltage with a Tesla coil, is not comparing eggs with eggs.

There is no evidence to date that Tesla produced any free energy. There is no doubt he was a very creative and productive engineer, who had lots of successful ideas and patents. He had to either raise funds him self or get financial backing for his projects from interested parties. Was it Wardenclyffe project that bankrupted him?

Edit are you comparing the death ray story to the US militaries use of radio waves for crowd control?  

I think we can agree that he was a genius either way. Well it is obvious that the US military has created a lot of things for war and control through Teslas inventions and documents. The problem with his inventions is it got in the hands of psychopaths. I think Tesla was creating some of these inventions to end all wars. We see how that worked out. He may have been misguided on what humans actually do with technology and weapons.

• 6 months later...
On 4/29/2020 at 2:27 AM, Flummoxed said:

HaHa, could be I am posting on the wrong forum. You never read the link I posted above on Tesla did you, which is where I quoted the reference above from. It explains briefly what Tesla was attempting to do, via the Schumann resonances of the earth. He was hoping to transmit power wirelessly all around the world, if you believe his publicity, at a lot higher power level than your mobile phone transmitter.

Tesla Coils work at extremely high voltage levels ionizing the air around them, creating a blue plasma or flame. If you are in close proximity to one working, they induce currents in your fillings, making your fillings hurt. Mobile phone transmitters dont do this, and you are worried about mobile phones. 

Tesla was likely autistic savant, with a particular interest in electricity. Many of his articles he wrote were self publicity trying to raise funds for his projects. One ref flying machines referred to machines being suspended by "veritable ropes in the sky" . Not all of his patents worked, his most successful invention was the AC induction motor. Edison was into DC power, and he held the development of Teslas ideas back. Clearly AC power transmission is the now and was back then the best way to transmit power. 

Tesla designed many different types of coils of different shapes and sizes, with different properties. His Bifilar wound pancake coils are still of interest to Tesla hobbyists and can produce incredibly high voltages, what was he planning on using these for?. The usual coil you see associated with Tesla works on resonance, the voltage is allowed to resonante up and down the coil until eventually it reaches voltages sufficient to ionize the air around it. These are the ones you see in black and white Frankenstein movies, and those whereby you see Tesla sat on a chair in his lab surrounded by discharges from the coil. 

Great. But you never experienced a life without electricity.

So it was a big deal at the time.