Science Forums

Wtf?

Boerseun

Right...

Cartoons depicting some hairy fella with a bomb in his turban, agitating countries and individuals to the point where we've seen casualties?

Countries apologizing left, right and center because they've 'allowed' their free press (let's stress the 'free' part here) to print these cartoons?

Who's in the right, and who's in the wrong?

From my perspective, the whole thing is telling of our communal, collective (yes - that includes you AND all the Muslims/Christians/Hindus/Jews/Hairybacks/Rockspiders/etc) idiocy.

Jesus did not walk on water. He simply was not buoyant enough.

Moses did not split the Red Sea with his Magic Wand. It's physically impossible.

Nobody can survive a trip inside a whale.

Five loaves of bread and two fishes cannot feed thousands.

Mohammed did not bring God's Will to the people, because...

< Drum roll...>

There is no such thing as God.

I know.

I will get burnt (possibly at the stake, if I'm lucky) for this from all possible sides.

But I actually don't give a rip.

Why should I be sensitive (i.e. not print cartoons that might offend a whole lot of people suffering from the same mass delusion)?

Shouldn't I be compassionate and inform them that there are helplines for people suffering from these kind of neurological disorders?

Why should I feel compelled to appease them (be it any of the common religions), make them feel that: 'Sure - there's this Big Guy up in the Sky lookin' after your interests - I don't believe it, but seeing as you've got the masses behind you, I must pussyfoot around your delusion'?

Why, being an atheist, should I feel that they've got a bigger stake in world affairs than I've got? Is Truth decided by popular vote nowadays?

I personally feel offended at such childish things as belief in a 'God' and offense taken at such a 'God' (or his prophet) being depicted in a badly rendered cartoon having such an influence in my world.

Why should I pussyfoot around a Christian or Muslim's delusion, saying "Sure, you're probably right - lemme shut the f*ck up rather" , and not be offended when the courts (in my so-called free, non-secular country) insist on me taking an oath with my hand on the Bible? WTF?!?! Should I insist on somebody testifying putting his hand on the latest 'Auto Trader'?

Why, exactly, should I feel even the slightest guilt about offending Mohammed? Or Jesus, or Brahma, or Barney the Dinosaur, for that matter? They are all imaginary characters, with superpowers, the likes of which Superman is the closest my kids will ever be exposed to, outside of an historical context.

If the majority of Earthlings should feel offended at their mass delusions being exposed for what they are - hot air - should I feel bad about it, or should I feel good for showing them the stupidity (and danger) of their ways?

Jesus showed us the Path of Love, right? Go an' explain that to the guys in the Mid East, who's still pissed off about the Crusades. Go and tell that to Joan of Arc. Go and tell that to... whoever.

So why should I give the slightest rip for cartoons, making fun of a figure who represents a mass delusion? Or why should I give a rip for the thousands of idiots who are offended by this?

"I've got this imaginary friend Bob. You said he's an *******. Therefore I will kill you." Why should I tolerate such stupidity, such idiocy?

Religion is a mass delusion, and the single most harmful thing yet invented by Man (apart from lighting farts with a tendency to backfire).

What should I do?

Should I just 'let it be', thereby condone it?

Thoughts?

Yep.

That about sums it up. I do like your use of the word "pussyfoot." The reaction of violence did exactly as it intended... it brought attention from around the world, and took a non-story and made it an international powder keg.

All they are doing is throwing their food or dirty diaper against the wall for attention.

I don't hate fundamentalists. I just wish they'd stop hating me for being... well, for being me.

Boerseun,

You'll be boiled alive in a cauldron of pig grease, you Blasphemous Heretic! :Waldo:

I didn't believe in God for a while too... Because I couldn't see heaven from our satellite images.

But God has since been talking to me in my head! :Waldo:

Keep up the good threads. You definitely got a pair of stones.

Hows that Lab by the way? God spelled backwards is Dog!

Hahaha -

Just heard a brilliant quote on the radio:

These guys were just discussing the cartoon story, so they decided to get the listeners to dial in with the shortest, most offensive line they can come up with! And the guy who won (it was only a five-minute poll) was:

"Jesus drinks Castle Lager with His pork chops"

Thereby offending Christians, Muslims, Jews, AND Alcoholics Anonymous! With SABMiller filing a lawsuit for using their label! I'm sure we can work in a cigarette in there somehow, as well! :Waldo:

http://hypography.com/forums/theology-forum/3199-urantia-book-who-couldve-hoaxed-3.html

___As I maintain the Urantia is a hoax, I wish to put it in context with other hoaxes of the same ilk as the Bible, Koran, Book of Morman, Bhagavad Gita, Egyptian Book of the Dead, etc. ad nauseum.

___The reason Urantia has failed to produce a religion -inspite of allying itself to Jesus - is that technology has advanced to a level such that previously 'secret' knowledge is commonly available to the masses. More & more people exposed to TV seeing the unbelievable in a believable context with the full knowledge it is smoke & mirrors & parlor magic.

___The 'secret' knowledge is knowing how to do the tricks. Saw a lady in half; nail a guy to a cross. Perform the miracle; practice & use accomplices. Get your accomplices by any clever means & then travel around with them living off the charity of trusting people. Tell the audience 'awe shucks; don't mind what I say I'm just a simple person or tell em' pay close attention or else. Either way, you have an audience.

___Look! He makes the old new again! :confused:

Boerseun I have to comend you on such a courageous post - I totally agree with you but dont normally share such thoughts in this manner for the same reason you where reluctant to post it.

I see religion as the biggest scam on society ever - but sometimes (very rarely) do I see it as somewhat benifical to our society. And although these small benefits far outweigh the detriments it remains!

I recently had a discussion with a friend, I proclaimed to her that religion on a whole was on a decline, that people where slowly becoming non-believers. I had no evidence for this claim what-so-ever (just a hunch because it seemed that none of my friends go to church). So has there ever been some large scale religious servey that would confirm or rule out my hunch?

I agree with some of your thoughts.

However, the attitude to call people idiots and things of this sort sounds a little childish and irresponsible aswell, at least to me. A person is only aware of what they know, they can only know what they know. This does not mean they can not have an open mind but there personality and actions will only operate off of what they know. Also, it is just as likely you could of been born into the body of one of the people in that location as you were born here in your situation. Therefore it is would seem to me that a person should feel that reality when they form there opinions on others around the world.

One thing that I started thinking about was the pattern I have been noticing in the past couple of years. Each time there appears to be a problem going on somewhere in the world the US Army, or the bush organization, feels they have the responsibility, the right, and the opportunity to invade and war with them. Afganistan; loaded with terrorists that are taking over the country, Iraq; same situation, Iran; might have nuclear weaponry or harmful intentions. So I wonder, hmm, is the government aware of the weakness in the muslim religion that will cause chaos with blasphomous cartoons or things like this? Was the situation planned to allow the bush organazation the right to war with countries like iran? like syria? or where have you. Sure it is a pretty far fetched and wild assumption, but you watch, if it gets worse some other country will get involved with military action. Which opens up all kinds of other opportunities.

If there is a god it is in you, the same place where your thinker is, whereever that place is. If there is a heaven (a different plane to live in) , well it resides in your consciousness to. Or at least this is what I can seem to be able to find logic in.

I agree with you, GAHD, in the sense that seeing the danger does lie there, it would be stupid to provoke it. No doubt about that. But my point is that it is pretty lame to have our world held hostage by a fairytale.

The First World War was sparked by the assassination of an Archduke.

Would the Third World War be sparked by cartoons?

I hope we haven't gone to such irrational levels.

That guy in Sarajevo only meant to say "Hapsburg go home" and may well not have given a thought to the situation across Europe being so tense that his pistol was enough to spark it off.

I'm sure Jyllands-Posten knew what they were dealing with and meant to stir up a fuss.

Is Truth decided by popular vote nowadays?

No, of course not - what an inefficient way to do things! It's decided by market forces. Didn't you get the memo?

In other news - what would we all fight about if we didn't have religion? I've just decided to pick a book at random and base my life around that for a week at a time.

Today, it's this one.

Why do men have nipples? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1400082315/002-1735988-7771216?n=283155

By pure chance it answers one of the great cosmic questions.

TFS

Well, Boerseun, since you already went out on a limb here and really rattled the hornet's nest, I suppose I'll deposit my 5 minus 3 cents...

Religion is a crutch. People are afraid, and uncertain, and find comfort knowing that others believe the same as they do. "It must be right... look at all these other people in the pews/benches/alter/kneeling/chanting/dancing... that feel the same way." I'm not refering to any one religion here, but all.

Especially before society took off and education and the sharing of knowledge became normal daily ways to assist in survival, but even today, there is fear in the unknown, and this fear is manipulated. It's not just a group of con men and women doing it, but a natural tendency to stick together that has evolved through the millenia. (i.e. we get sick or our normal foraging lands are devastated...whatever... and we have a group who will share and help us. The folks with friends survived).

It grew out of this, and out of the desire to understand what's around us. Why do I feel cool on my face when the trees move? Why does the water sing such lovely songs? What are those bright dots in the sky? Why do brilliant lights come down from the clouds when it rains and make enormous booming sounds? What is death? What does it all mean...

We are creatures birthed by a parent, and our consciousness has evolved along this path forever... since the first molecules joined and split, they came from the molecule before them The concept of a parent creator has just magnified through these billions of years of permutations into a greater societal perception of a supreme being. Since it's changed so often, we have different versions and different stories, but it's all the same thing... this supreme being...

Which... as I mentioned in another thread... is pizza. :hihi:

:hihi:

In other news - what would we all fight about if we didn't have religion? I've just decided to pick a book at random and base my life around that for a week at a time.

Today, it's this one.

By pure chance it answers one of the great cosmic questions.

TFS

Lol... wouldn't a better one to live by be something like, "The Joy of Sex?"

I agree with you, GAHD, in the sense that seeing the danger does lie there, it would be stupid to provoke it. No doubt about that. But my point is that it is pretty lame to have our world held hostage by a fairytale.

I hope we haven't gone to such irrational levels.

WW IV will be started by a pun.