Science Forums

Summer sports thread

Tormod

I enjoy watching sports on TV. I lose out on the crowd thing, basically because I have small children but my wife and I like to watch soccer, athletics, ice hockey, handball (do you even have that in the US?), winter sports etc...I used to play volleyball when I was a kid but it's hard to find time these days.

Yesterday Thor Hushovd became the first Norwegian ever to take the yellow jersey in the Tour de France. Yes, watching 190 bikes racing across your telly for 200 kilometers may not sound exciting, but I tell you, it's a thriller.

For me, it's the torunaments that give me the kick, as well as the soccer series. When Norway plays in a major torunamet, we *always* watch. Remember, we are 4 million people...small nation - it just *feels good* when we do well in a competition.

Sometimes we go to see the Golden League when it is hosted once a year at Bislett Stadium in Oslo, one of the smallest but possibly most famous stadiums in the world because a lot of world records in track and field has been set there. And we have the Holmenkollen Ski Jump - the feeling of being in a crowd of some 20,000 poeople - outdoors, on a freezing day with blue skies - is impossible to beat.

So for me, I don't think it's religion. It's entertainment. I don't pray to the sports gods (okay, when Portugal lost to Greece in the Euro 2004 finals I told them a thing or two...) but I really enjoy seeing athletes achieve their goals. That is pure satisfaction for me.

Plus, if it gets boring, I can turn it off or leave the stadium.

Tormod

^^^^^running back and taking a BIG swipe^^^^^^^^

PING!!

(can u see it sail gracefully through the air as the frenzied crowd watches on, heaving one collective sigh as the artistic grace captivates their hearts...?)

{did you all notice how i blended crowds, art and religion all into that?!?) HAHA

Let's bring this back to a Science discussion.

Are sports being helped by the interaction with Science? Does it benefit sports to have some have access to massive budgets which allow detailed evaulation of all movements and actions to enhance natural ability? Or does it provide an unfair advantage to some. Once more, money being the determinating factor for success?

Let's bring this back to a Science discussion.

Blah blah blah blah blah...

just hush, FreeT. What, did this turn into a serious science thread while i was PING-ing???

If you want to have a serious discussion about sports and benefits, go start something in the P/H thread. We're just trying to play a little summer game here~!

Originally posted by: IrishEyes

PING!!

...snip /lots of artsy stuff to attempt to distract me/...

Ducking down to catch the low ball, slamming it hard in the opposite right corner (just brushing the net)...pOOONGggg

Even the referee is amazed!!! Crowds woo! Television broadcasters rub their hands and see a new star is rising!!!!!

Tormod

Anyone play squash?

Originally posted by: Tormod

Originally posted by: IrishEyes

PING!!

...snip /lots of artsy stuff to attempt to distract me/...

Ducking down to catch the low ball, slamming it hard in the opposite right corner (just brushing the net)...pOOONGggg

Even the referee is amazed!!! Crowds woo! Television broadcasters rub their hands and see a new star is rising!!!!!

Tormod

....but geko stands up on the T, catching the ball early and drives it deep to the back of the court, forcing a desperate back-wall boast from his opponent.....

On it early.... WOAH!!!! crowds roar.... said he'd put it away and he did!!! MELTED that ball into that nick!

PPOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by: geko

....but geko stands up on the T, catching the ball early and drives it deep to the back of the court, forcing a desperate back-wall boast from his opponent.....

On it early.... WOAH!!!! crowds roar.... said he'd put it away and he did!!! MELTED that ball into that nick!

PPOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tormod comes in from the side in slow motion and does a trick shot which hits far up on the right side and slips past the other players almost unnoticed

. p . i . n . g .