Science Forums

Summer sports thread

Tormod

I'm not sure where you want to go with this but I'll start by saying that spectator sports are as useless as religion. A complete waste of time. I just don't understand how so many people can get so caught up in something they are not involved in, have no influence over the outcome, and have nothing to gain from observing. If I feel like playing football, baseball, etc....I'll get with some friends and play, but watching someone else is ludicrous. And some of the fanatacism that accompanies the fans is as disturbing as fundamentalist religion. I mean come on, body paint, costumes, mascots. To say nothing of the horrendous waste of money. Something is very wrong with a society that negotiates multi-million dollar salaries to college football coaches yet pays it's physics professors 50-60k annually. Talk about mixed up priorities!!!

I know I'm in the minority on this one, but I truly do not see the attraction.

Anyone care to watch me collect cigar bands? It is fascinating.

Originally posted by: Uncle Martin

Something is very wrong with a society that negotiates multi-million dollar salaries to college football coaches yet pays it's physics professors 50-60k annually. Talk about mixed up priorities!!!

True. But not all sports are like that. And not all players get multi-million dollar salaries, either. My favorite soccer team in Norway is from a town with 2000 inhabitants and live on money provided by a local soft drink factory (no, *not* that soft drink company).

Anyone care to watch me collect cigar bands? It is fascinating.

But...how would we know who wins?

Tormod

Originally posted by: Tormod

True. But not all sports are like that. And not all players get multi-million dollar salaries, either. My favorite soccer team in Norway is from a town with 2000 inhabitants and live on money provided by a local soft drink factory (no, *not* that soft drink company).

Touche'. However, would it not be more enjoyable to join that team and actually play?

However, would it not be more enjoyable to join that team and actually play?

Hey Unc, my daughter would LOVE to do just that - join a local Norwegian footbal team, that is.

as for this thread... I have to agree with you that the priorities of any country that pay sports stars millions and teachers barely above poverty is seriously messed up. Of course, the fact that practically anybody makes more than teachers is very disturbing. I mean, heart surgeons make more than the professors that taught them in college. Makes no sense to me. Stock-brokers and lawyers and bankers, and writers, they all make more than their teachers, on average. So why shouldn't the basketball player make 50 times what his high school coach makes?

And it's Tormod making a comeback!! Freethinker is losing ground!!!! They're neck and neck,...no wait,.... it's still Freethinker in the lead by a nose!!! Tormod refuses to quit.!!! Where do they get their stamina? Ladies and gentlemen, it has been a grueling race, the finish line is just around the next curve, .....it's too close to call!!!!....Oh the suspense.

Touche'. However, would it not be more enjoyable to join that team and actually play?

Would it not be mre enjoyable to view your own paintings, to listen to your own musical performance? Perhaps drive a car you built for yourself. Read only books you have written?

I have typically never been a fan of the big professional sports in the US such as Football, baseball, ... I have been a fan of spectator sports while my kids were in any number of them.

While a member of s singles group, I started going to some of the football game gatherings. Let's say I enjoyed the benefits of being around females that were getting excited because of the game. Not to mention the free shots when our team scored. Nothing like jumping up and down with a bunch of people of the opposite sex (or same if that's your thing) to stimulate your interest in something!

I do agree that the salaries and costs are an outrage. But we use these poor atheletes and then spit them out... Ya right! There IS something wrong when a guy that can catch a ball is paid significantly more for that talent, by magnitudes, than the people we trust our kids' education to.

And yes we do need to get more self involved with everything.

Originally posted by: IrishEyes

or the Packers get beat by ANYBODY!!! LOL

Bret IS GOD!

As my daughter says, the best thing about footbal is...

TIGHT ENDS!!

Is that your 14 year old? I can't imagine she came up with that preference on her own at that age! You perhaps are telling us more than you intend? :-)

Is that your 14 year old? I can't imagine she came up with that preference on her own at that age! You perhaps are telling us more than you intend? :-)

She's 12, and actually, I've taught her some things VERY well, thank you very much. For instance, she knows what is truly important about men playing football. She has also learned that during the final two minutes of the game, she can ask Dad almost any question and she'll get the answer she wants. i think most kids learn that one at about age 2 though. thankfully though, my husband also prefers to play rather than watch, most of the time. we all look forward to warm waether, because that means all day sport-a-thons in our front yard, briefly interuppted by Notre Dame or Tech. But then again, March is also fun, but not as fun as it was in the 80s in Vegas. Go figure... man I miss that towel eating Shark...!

Originally posted by: Freethinker

Would it not be mre enjoyable to view your own paintings, to listen to your own musical performance? Perhaps drive a car you built for yourself. Read only books you have written?

I anticipated this very rebuttal from you as I was typing the post. Can we argue that spectator sports are in some sense equal to art? I don't know. There seems to be a big difference, but on some level, maybe....

In another sense it may be that spectator sports fill a void similar to that which religion fills,.... being a part of something bigger than yourself. Just a thought.

Can we argue that spectator sports are in some sense equal to art? I don't know. There seems to be a big difference, but on some level, maybe....

Think of where it comes from. An exhibition of the most pleasing form. Is there something intrinsicly interesting in watching the best a form can offer? Whether that form is strokes on canvas or tightly practiced notes from musical instraments. Or even a well executed roll out of the shotgun formation.

In another sense it may be that spectator sports fill a void similar to that which religion fills,.... being a part of something bigger than yourself. Just a thought.

Is the crowd a part of the dance? You bet.