Science Forums

Hip hop in foreign languages

Bo

hey guys, a while ago i started this small project for myself. The final goal is to collect hip hop music in every language of the world (not that i like hip hop, but i like the idea). So anyone here has any suggestions? I currently have:

- Polish, Dutch, english, portuguese, spanish, russian, icelandic, hongarian, korean, japanese, french.

So still some 300 to go Any suggestion is good. -Bo

Originally posted by: oblivion

Comment meaningless = false, I meant it.

Of course you mean it, or else you would not post it. The comment is meaningless because you fail to explain why you think hip hop is over rated. Your comment is plain silly - it does not help Bo in any way, and it does not contribute a single thing to this discussion.

This is a discussion forum, not a soap box. I would like to see you taking part in discussions, not just posting comments without explaining why your opinions are what they are.

Tormod

You know, Bo, I think it's a good project, I'm just not a hip-hop person. My oldest daughter is trying to collect a book written in the native language of every country that was in existence in the year of her birth. My oldest son wants to learn how to write hello in every written language. I'm thankful they didn't choose something like hip-hop, as it is way down on my list of enjoyable music types, but I think it's pretty cool that you have a goal.

I would suggest contacting a college or university on every country, and asking for a music sample from their radio staion! Some will not have radio staions (some may not even have colleges) but it would be a start. Another suggestion would be to get in touch with a friend in the military. When I was in the US Navy, I did a Med cruise that had port calls in 14 different countries. Talk about experienceing different music!!

Good luck.

Bo,

Are you aware that there are over 5000 languages in the world? That is going to be an extensive collection. I thought hip-hop was a language, because I don't understand anything it's saying. Although I enjoy a variety of music, hip-hop is one that I find offensive and even painful to be subjected to. I really hoped it would be a short lived fad when my kids started listening to it. But my parents thought the same about rock-n-roll. Are there multi-lingual versions of Napster that you could use to increase your collection? Other than travelling which is probably cost prohibitive, online is the only suggestion I can think of. Good luck!

Originally posted by: Tormod

hip hop = over rated

This is a meaningless comment. Please explain why you think hip hop is over rated.

Tormod

Tormod,

Oblivion's first six posts had a combined total of nine words. I tried explaining this to him, maybe his English is not so good? But he does appear to be able to read. It could be that he/she is affraid that their opinions may be refuted. I must admit that the strategy is working. I find it difficult to argue with one word rebuttals.

You keep telling yourself that until the feeling fades away.

For the record, he/she editted out "#Uncle Martin-STFU", whatever that means. Edit; I just figured out what that means. Naive me. That was uncalled for.

Well now we have a level of discourse that is forcing me to invoke my signature rule. See below.

You keep telling yourself that until the feeling fades away.# Uncle Martin - STFU

Nice to see you edited it

I dont understand. Is this a riddle? Is there meant to be a comma after 'that'? In which case, if im reading it correctly, it would read (with inclusion of what you're arguing against) "you keep telling yourself that it has a lot of wit, until the feeling fades away"?

I disagree. The humour of it fades away the more i listen to it, but the wit of the actual ryhmes remain.