Science Forums

Ads - please respond

Tormod

We have switched ad agency, as some may have noticed.

I've had quite a few problems in that I have received a lot of popups (Which should have been at an extreme minimum), extremely animated ads, spyware ads (I have twelve spyware programs on my PC right now).

Since I live in Norway I don't see the same ads as everyone else. Could I please get some feedback from you about what you see? Is this over the top? It was never my intention to load this site with advertisements but I am simply trying out a new agency. If people are mostly upset it will disappear very soon. It would be helpful if someone could send me screendumps of the worst pages (email me at tormod at hypography dot com).

As for the text ads (underlined text in the forum messages) this is also something I'm trying out. The problem here is I don't see them because they are not targeted towards users outside the US. So please send me a screendump of a forum page with green underlined text in the forum postings.

We cannot get rid of every single ad unless someone are willing to pay for a premium membership or something - I'd much rather have ads and keep everything free. But I understand as much as anyone that we need to find a balance somewhere - I have started to receive complaints and I take them very seriously.

Are you -

seeing excessively animated ads?

getting more than 1 popup window per 48 hours (if any)?

getting spyware installed on your computer?

having strange searchbars open up in place of banners?

Please comment. I will listen to you and do everything I can to solve this.

I want to point out that I really want to keep working with this agency, since they have a broad advertiser base and have dedicated channels for education and technology. I have been told that at first we may see a wider variety of ads but that the targeting will improve as clickrates etc are measured after a few weeks.

Tormod

Animated ads- yes, sometimes.

Popups on every new page sometimes. Sometimes none. Five per day average?

Spyware-yes,yes,yes. Spybot has been working overtime.

No searchbars yet.

The text ads are a bit distracting at first but no big deal.

Overall it seems a small price to pay vs actually paying a price.

Thanks for your input, unc.

I've taken away the popups for now. I think the spyware comes through popups which launch exe files. I have absolutely no tolerance for this and even though the agency promised to remove this kind of ads I got one this morning. So no more popups until they can deliver popups of a more relevant kind.

Everyone, please state your feelings about the questions above.

Tormod

tormod, if you have spyware on your pc, i can tell you how to get rid of it VERY quickly. get a program called spykiller, http://www.spykiller.com.....i have a problem with tehm too...but i can't get rid of them b/c i don't have any money. i actually have 818 of them on pc. how's that for a problem? spykiller gets rid of them all in seconds, it's made jsut for that. and it tells you when one has tried to infect you pc. you do have to keep it updated though. i would suggest getting this and norton antivirus. as long as you keep thoe two and keep them updated at all times, you rcomputer will be safe from any type of virus. i just seen a credit car or something...i only have cash money and no way to get a money order. so yea, it stinks. i have to sit here with full knowledge that my computer has 818 viruses on it, and i can't do jack squash about it. isn't that just delightful?

Eric

tormod, i also have one problem to ask you about, i'm trying to post my pcture on the icon thingy there, and it won't ely me. it first said it was too large, so, since mozilla browser stinks so bad, i couldn't do anything to fix the picture fromt ehre. so i had to go to a paint brush program, download the picture. then i scaled it down some. then i saved it as a JPG file. then i went to MSWORD and pulled it up. i brightened it some so it could be seen, and then i saved it as a web page. i tryed to put it on tehre, but it wouldn't let me, it said there was sometrhing wrong with it. is the problem where i saved it as a web page? or is it somethng else?

thanks, Eric

Originally posted by: CD27

tormod, i also have one problem to ask you about, i'm trying to post my pcture on the icon thingy there, and it won't ely me. it first said it was too large, so, since mozilla browser stinks so bad, i couldn't do anything to fix the picture fromt ehre. so i had to go to a paint brush program, download the picture. then i scaled it down some. then i saved it as a JPG file. then i went to MSWORD and pulled it up. i brightened it some so it could be seen, and then i saved it as a web page. i tryed to put it on tehre, but it wouldn't let me, it said there was sometrhing wrong with it. is the problem where i saved it as a web page? or is it somethng else?

thanks, Eric

CD - Just e-mail me the picture and I'll get it fixed for you, okay?

Tormod

Originally posted by: Tim_Lou

tormod, this software might help:

http://www.lavasoft.de/english/default.shtml

the popups are probably caused by adwares, so

Ad-aware might help you~!

it works great for me....

its like a anti-"adware" software.

and its free!

take a scan!

i usually have like 10 adwares everytime i scan...

probably b/c i got a norton anti-virus....

Thanks, those are good tips, Tim.

I got Spy Sweeper and Norton Internet Security but for some reason every time I scan I have about 12 programs - like HotBar, ClickGenie, Hotaction, TinyXXX, IELoader etc...

But I'm more worried if others - ie, the users of this site - experience popups which try to install things. I won't have any of it and I really want reports if anyone experience it.

Tormod

yea, i use mozilla as well. i haven't gotten one single one either. funy isn't it?

ok, i'll send you that picture...i must warn you...i shaved my head, and now my bald spot is showing lol. yea, i'm 17 and going bald. stinks too. lol. not literally stinks, but, you get the idea. lol. i'm gonna check out tht link that tim posted. it may even help me.

thanks, i'll do all that.

what does this mean?

ERROR: The page you were accessing requires variables to be passed to it.

Error Code: 100

i put my topic on "thread" the way to view them. and i right clicked ont eh folder i saw there. and told it to open in another link. and tht popped up.

ok...i hope my computer didn't spread it....tim, what EXACTLY does ad-aware do? i just downloaded it, it said it detected 1303 objects, i qarantined them, and it said it "deleted" the objects..but i really don't see what i did. could you please explain.

Eric

Originally posted by: CD27

ok...i hope my computer didn't spread it....tim, what EXACTLY does ad-aware do? i just downloaded it, it said it detected 1303 objects, i qarantined them, and it said it "deleted" the objects..but i really don't see what i did. could you please explain.

Eric

Ad aware has an onbord list of all those nasty spyware programs that suck your bandwidth and processor power, checks your registry for the relevant programs, and simply remouves them from your computer.

For a free Antivirus program that's on about the same level as norton AV, go to http://www.commandcenter.com and downl;oad AVG anti virus. It's pritty damn good if you ask me. Also http://www.zonelabs.com has Zonealarm, a software firewall that lets you choose what programs are allowed access the internet and tells you the name of the exe/com file that was tryig to access it so you can delete it if you like. Combined with mycmputer's hardware firewall(and blessed Mozilla), very little has a chance to do anything to my comp.

Tormod; I personally don't mind the ads, though there is one that kinda 'jiggles around' in a very seizureiffic way that gave me a headach while I was trying to read a post a short while back. If I see it again I'll take a couple of screenshots or just DL the gif and send it to ya.

Originally posted by: GAHD

Tormod; I personally don't mind the ads, though there is one that kinda 'jiggles around' in a very seizureiffic way that gave me a headach while I was trying to read a post a short while back. If I see it again I'll take a couple of screenshots or just DL the gif and send it to ya.

Thanks. I think the jiggly ads is the price we have to pay...but I have asked if there is some way to weed out the "extreme animation" ads.

Tormod