Science Forums

Global warming

cwes99_03

I will see if I can find any online archives of popular science. It was no more than a year ago but at least 4 months.

I agree with you on the algea bloom. Although they had thought it out. The area the proposed doing this in was relatively devoid of sea life. However, due to the inability to reverse the process and as you mentioned, the affect on other life that would be a poor choice.

If anyone has a subscription please let us know. I will see if I can find it and link to it.

Here we go, it was further back than I thought, August 2005.

Points 3 and 5 were the two I recalled. The article is at http://www.popsci.com/popsci/aviationspace/3afd8ca927d05010vgnvcm1000004eecbccdrcrd.html.

Don't get me wrong, I think lessening our impact is better than trying to have an impact in the other direction. We have much to learn about how our climate works.

Climate Change is not all bad:)

http://www.abc.net.au/news/items/200608/1721760.htm?newcastle

Wednesday, 23 August 2006. 10:41 (AEDT)Wednesday, 23 August 2006. 09:41 (ACST)Wednesday, 23 August 2006. 09:41 (AEST)Wednesday, 23 August 2006. 10:41 (ACDT)Wednesday, 23 August 2006. 07:41 (AWST)

Climate change is looming as the biggest issue facing the wine industry.

That is the view that will be put to grape growers in the Riverina region of southern New South Wales today as part of a wine roadshow looking at short and long-term survival tactics for growers and winemakers.

An estimated 900 million litres of wine is currently sitting in tanks waiting for a home but Will Taylor from law firm Finlaysons says the glut is not the only issue.

He says climate change will be dramatic and one curious side effect is already being felt - Australian wines are becoming more alcoholic.

"If we have warmer weather, more sunshine, grapes are going to ripen more rapidly and it's going to convert into more alcohol," he said.

"In fact, I was with a winemaker who was doing a retrospective of 25 years of his shiraz and he was saying how in recent years, not by design, the alcohol level in his shiraz had gone up, so I think that's certainly one of the effects I think we are seeing."

• 3 weeks later...
Here is a good article on Gaia and global warming

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/scienceshow/stories/2006/1726869.htm#

Yah, there are a lot of "earth worshippers" as some call them, who want everyone to believe that man is evil and mother earth/nature/Gaia is good and all people need to live in harmony with it (or rather with their views of how things should be.) These people stem back to the 60's as well, only they were called hippies and flower children and all kinds of other things back then.

Yah, there are a lot of "earth worshippers" as some call them, who want everyone to believe that man is evil and mother earth/nature/Gaia is good and all people need to live in harmony with it (or rather with their views of how things should be.) These people stem back to the 60's as well, only they were called hippies and flower children and all kinds of other things back then.

Did you read the article?

Yeah, those hippies spreading their hate and venom. Gosh...

Ironically, there is a lot of hate and venom centered and focussed on earth worshippers. That seems very strange to me considering the approach they take to the world.

Some of them were called friends and some of them were called family back then, but most of them were called loved.

• 3 months later...

Infinite now sorry but im gonna change gears on you

I have personally had the same idea occur to me recently (that is actually how I came across this site w/ this very thread) I how ever was thinking of it more in the sense of homes and houses as well as roads

the only way I can think of proving this would be to pull up a map of the light sources on earth (light means cities, cities mean homes and roads) then connect them with lines without crossing oceans or going further than 300 miles. n this way you would be able to se the major roads and cities across the world and using that you may be able to find the extent to which roads and homes have an effect on the climate of the earth

hope I'm not confusing you :rolleyes:

Infinite now sorry but im gonna change gears on you

I have personally had the same idea occur to me recently (that is actually how I came across this site w/ this very thread) I how ever was thinking of it more in the sense of homes and houses as well as roads

Which idea? This one?

http://hypography.com/forums/earth-science/4881-global-warming-2.html#post77084

what i am saying is that the heat that’s trapped in houses and the excess heat that is absorbed by roads is being transmitted to the air and then warming the entire planet. this matches up with the 1 degree Celsius difference in temperature over the last couple of years.

I don't think it's quite that bad, though. If you fly over any one area with roads, say at a decent altitude of 30,000ft, roads are incredibly hard to make out. The surface area of the roads as compared to surface covered by either open land or agriculture, is very small. I think the biggest change to albedo is ploughed and cultivated lands rather than any single other factor.

Cultivated lands however are quickly covered with growth and the plant growth uses the suns energy to break down water. This makes it so that for only 20 days max is the cultivated land actually absorbing sunlight.

This is true, but cultivated lands are invariably darked than open, non-watered grassland. And the cultivated plants, being watered, are green, which absorbs much more heat than light-coloured grassland.

what i am saying is that the heat that’s trapped in houses and the excess heat that is absorbed by roads is being transmitted to the air and then warming the entire planet. this matches up with the 1 degree Celsius difference in temperature over the last couple of years.

I thought so, just wanted to be sure. Have you studied the concept of albedo at all? It seems to be parellel to your thoughts.

What are some ways we could learn from this concept?

What are some ways that we can benefit from the absorption (put it to good use)?

What will happen if we do nothing?

A good discussion, indeed. ;)