Science Forums

Asian Philosophy is Eloquent

Racoon

I don't think the ancient Chinese had those Electroscopes to view nano-hairs with.

BUT, I did find a Zen Koan about Lotus...

A monk asked Chimon, "Before the lotus blossom has emerged from the water, what is it?"

Chimon said, "A lotus blossom."

The monk pursued, "After it comes out of the water, what is it?"

Chimon replied,"Lotus leaves."

Monk: "Before the lotus blossom has emerged from the water, what is it?"

Turtle: "Not wet".

Monk: "After it comes out of the water, what is it?"

Turtle: "Not wet".

One day, while talking with his monks, Sansho remarked,

"When a student comes, I go out and meet him with no purpose of helping him."

When Koge heard of this remark, he commented,

"When a student comes, I do not often go out to meet him, but if I do, I will surely help him"

:shrug: :) :hyper:

Meaning???: Sansho and Koge were both disciples of Rinzai. They take opposite directions, but their meaning is the Same! :eek:

Dedicated to InfiniteNow!

Aw... shucks. :)

___Asian philosophy is indeed often eloquent; however, eloguence in itself is not sufficient for wisdom.

___A little kone pome:

I do not like koans,

not one bit,

I'd rather chew,

a ball of grundy.

____Quite long ago & just nearby, I went in for a bit o' tit-for-tat on the issue; here's a link to the thread & a paraphrased quote from me in it:

http://hypography.com/forums/philosophy-humanities/1765-atomic-blake-koan-2.html?highlight=koans

One morning as I strode to my master's gate for study, he came out to meet me. "Rather than our normal meditations today", he said, "I present you this Koan. What is the sound of one hand clapping?" I immediately slapped his face so hard & so fast that his knees sagged, his eyes watered, and his face reddened. Quickly regaining his masterly monkly composure, he dismissed me to whatever leisure I desired for the day and never presented me with a Koan again.

___Some of my fondest memories of visits with Racoon, have been disagreable.:hyper:

___Not infrequently the teacher repeats another's question on the chance to find out if it has an answer and if so, what it is.:shrug:

Don't you know, Turtle? The answer is always another question! If you're lucky and asked the proper question to begin with, then the answer is multiple new questions... :hyper:

Cheers. :hyper: