Science Forums

Herbs and Herbal Supplements

Racoon

Herb of the day

Ginger!

GINGER (Zangiber officinale):

You remember Ginger from 'Gilligan's Island' right?

It can also be the name of a stripper at your favorite strip-club hangout.:hihi:

Ha... That's good stuff Racoon. :surprise:

Ginger also helps ease cold symptoms, and is a good remedy for "morning sickness". ( In case you knocked up your girlfriend and need to calm her down, :cup: )

It's really good overall for general stomach aches. Remember when a kid and you had an upset stomach...what'd your mom give you? Ginger Ale... Problem was, it was an artificial ginger flavor most of us got, not the real good, spicy, makes my chicken taste so good kinda ginger.

Btw... my favorite stripper's name is "Babylon." She has wings tatooed on each side of her back from her shoulders to her hips, and she's totally smokin'... :gift:

Herbal extracts are complex organic substances with more complicated patterns of mode of action as per the modern science paramenters.However if they work and have a historical record as a good natural remedy with no toxicity or side effects,its great....But in the coming decades the modern science and especially fields like pharmacogenomics should unravel the mysteries of their action and interaction to deliver great natural remedies and a healthier world.

Good Point Tarak!

Todays Herb is....... Horseradish! :)

HORSERADISH (Armoracia lapathifolia):

This herb is so bitter it can make you cry! or at least bring a tear to your eye.

Which is why it is included in traditional Passover meals to commemorate the suffering of the Jews under Pharohs rule. :cup:

Horseradish is an excellent diuretic and is really good for the digestion.

Some herbalists combine it with honey to treat coughs and asthma.

It can also be use externally to alleviate pain and stiffness caused by rheumatism....

First off I would like to Proclaim that I am a Big Seahawks fan!!! :(

My Grandpa took me to my first game back in 1986, at the now imploded Kingdome. Living in Washington State, I have bled Seahawk blue for many, many moons! I have had my heart broken at least a dozen times. :)

Now, I can hold my head up high as the Seahawks are finally at the big dance. Go Seahawks!!! :singer: :cup:

Todays Herb is.....

SUMA (Pfaffia paniculata): Suma has been described as a "for all things" herb( "para todo" en Espanol ) . It's South America's version of Ginseng :cup:

Here in the US it is being used to treat exhaustion resulting from viral infections and an aid for chronic fatigue syndrome.

I have never used it, or even seen it actually. It sounds interesting to me....

Its purported to be an energy tonic and that it fights fatigue! :)

Sounds great. Has anyone tried it or know anything?

Remember in Aldous Huxley's " Brave New World ", everyone was given "Soma" for all their troubles.??? To live blissfully in ignorance and supression?....

It rang a bell in my little noodle :singer:

One more herb for today

DANDELION (Taraxacum officinale): Most people shouldn't have trouble growing this 'herb'! :cup: Can U believe it's an herb? and a pretty good one too.

Dandelion is a natural diueretic and digestive aid. It has a high mineral content. Because it's rich in potassium, it works closely with sodium to regulate H2O balance. It enhances gall bladder and liver function and has been used by herbalists to treat Jaundice and other Liver ailments.

Dandelion is rich in Lechithin. The leaves can be mixed into salad.

Again, I don't think anyone could have trouble growing this lawn eyesore.

Maybe pull it ,like the weed/herb it is ,and use it.... instead of applying hard chemicals to try and kill it ?

It's funny the line between our lives and plants and their medicinal potientials and relationships....

Todays herb is a heavy hitter... :cup:

ASTRAGALUS (Astragalus membranaceous) : Grown and used in China for centuries, Astragalus is used for a wide variety of ailments: Diabetes, Heart disease, and high blood pressure.

More recent Chinese studies have shown that it may 'activate' the immune system.

Astragalus is used here by herbalists giving people undergoing chemotherapy and radiation. More research is going on.

This herb could have quite the potential.

It is a mild stimulant, and may reduce blood pressure by helping the body rid itself of excess water weight.

Recommended dosage is 1 - 3 capsules daily, about 400 mg.

Heres another herb while my posting pace is Tepid...:confused:

ALFALFA (Medicago sativa): I didn't really think of Alfalfa as an herb. More like something you could put in salad or gave Livestock... Its a legume..:Waldo:

It was first discovered by the Arabs, who dubbed it "Father of all Foods"!

The leaves of this plant are Loaded in minerals and nutrients. Including Calcium, Magnesium, Potassium and Beta Carotene. It also contains 8 essential amino acids. It makes a good laxative and diuretic and is used to treat urinary infections. It is also a folk remedy for arthritis and appetite stimulation.

Because we think of it as cattle fodder, we rarely take advantage of its high nutrient content. Usually its an ingredient in a "Super Food" or "Green Food" type of supplement.

Mix 1 Tablespoon w/ 8 ozs of water for home brewed tea, or Toss in alfalfa sprouts next time you make a salad!

Herb O' the Day, Mate! :Waldo:

KAVA KAVA (Piper methysticum): Was first discovered by Capt'n James Cook, who gave its botanical name of "Intoxicating Pepper" ! :Waldo:

The root of this plant is made into a popular beverage in Polynesia called 'Sakau'..

Its traditionally used as a remedy for nervousness and insomnia :Waldo:

Kava Kava is also a mild diuretic..

Mix 10 - 30 drops of liquid extract in h2o.

Use only occasionally. Long term, heavy use could be bad..

While I wait for Riddle..,

LADY'S MANTLE (Alchemilla vulgaris): Women in Arab countries believe this herb restores beauty and youth :confused:

Here in the West it has been use topically to stop bleeding and promote healing.

This is a Woman's herb because its used internally to regulate Menstruation and stimulate appetite. It can also make a soothing Douche for vaginal irritations.

The Botanical name is derived from the word 'alchemy' because the herbs in this family are thought to bring about cures! :Waldo:

To make tea: Put 1 Tablespoon of dried Herb into hot water. Drink 1 cup daily.

Another Day, Another Herb....

FO-TI (Polygonum multiforum): Is known as Ho Shou Wu in China, and is used primarily as a rejuvenating tonic. The Chinese say this herb can keep your hair from going gray :Waldo: and other signs of premature aging...

Animal tests show Fo-Ti extract to be antitumor.

It also appears Fo-Ti may protect against Heart Disease by preventing clots and reducing blood pressure..

Take 1 - 3 capsules daily, if desired.

EVENING PRIMEROSE (Oenothera biennis): This is an American Herb that was shipped to Europe in the 17th Century, and was once called " king's cure-all"!

The Native Americans used it as a Painkiller and Asthma treatment.

The oil from this plant is high in GLA, Gamma linolenic acid! :confused: An essential polyunsaturated fatty acid that is converted into Prostaglandin, the hormones neccessary for important bodily functions! :confused:

Studies show that Evening Primerose Oil can help Lower Cholesterol! :Waldo:

To use it: Take 250 mgs up to 3x daily...

Top o' the morning ladies and gents...

today we have:

THYME (Thymus vulgaris):

In the middle ages, Thyme was believed to increase courage, and women would give a sprig of it to their favorite knights as they headed into battle! :)

Culpeper wrote that thyme was a "strengthener of the lungs" and "taken internally, comforts the stomach much, and expels wind"

It is known for its antifungal properties, and can be used as a gargle for sore throats.

I have grown thyme a couple of times :hihi:

Its a pretty little herb with tiny leaves. I grew the regular green thyme and a yellow variegated thyme. I think they dried out during a hot summer; I had them in containers. They do make a nice shady ground cover.

You can make a tea from the dried herb, or a gargle.

You can rub the extract on your toes for Athletes foot. It can also be used externally for crabs, lice, and scabies! :)

Todays herb is Horehound... and its not that guy who chases strippers and prostitutes. :hihi:

HOREHOUND (Marrubium vulgare) : This is an herb you want to keep around when you got a bad cough because of a cold or bronchitis. It helps promote sweating, which can help break a fever.

Horehound is also a mild stimulant for that sluggish feeling when you have a cold.

I've had a Horehound plant in a large container for years. I've never tried to use it. I guess theres a Horehound Candy you can make with it too. Its pretty low maintainance as far as plants go. :hihi:

For colds and coughs a tea made from 10 - 40 drops of extract should do the trick. You can use it up to 3 X daily...

Does anyone have any herbs they would like discussed?

PEPPERMINT(Mentha piperita):

This is one of Rac's top 5 herbs! :eek: I've been growing one in a giant tub for about 7 years now. I love it! Smells SO good.

It is VERY easy to grow, and I make Peppermint tea with it every summer...:hihi:

Peppermint is one of the oldest and best tasting home remedies for indigestion. Studies show that peppermint lessens the time food spends in the stomach by Stimulating the gastric lining! It relaxes stomach muscles and is excellent for stomachaches. It is also very soothing..

Peppermint Schnapps should be in evey medicine cabinet! :eek:

Ok, another herb that can be used as a strippers name! :hihi:

JASMINE(Jasminum officinale): For hundreds of years the leaves from this plant have been brewed into a delicious and relaxing tea.

According to folklore, the oil from this flower can be sexually arousing if rubbed on the body :hihi:

It makes a good after dinner drink. It can calm you down.

Lets ship some Jasmine tea over to Syria, and let em' have a tea party! :hihi:

that would calm them down. :hihi: