Science Forums

Looking for a recommendation

geko

I know there's lots of books around on this but i am looking for a new book to read on (how shall i say) 'the workings of evoulition' - hope i make sense. I.e. not what it is but how it works (or both, whatever).

The more recently published the better. I dont mind reading a non-popular science book (i.e. text-book) as long as it's good and up-to-date.

Im asking for a recommendation because i feel maybe as though there is the 'cream of the crop' book on this that im missing (and dont seem to know how to find it even if i see it).

Just to let you know what books ive read on this already (i would like to list them so you get the idea and dont recommend a book ive read):

The origin

Evolution - The triumph of an idea.

The selfish gene

In the blink of an eye

Darwins dangerous idea

Ive read others but they're more of a wide-scope, rather than being 'how evolution works'; such as things like snowball earth, nature via nurture, the blank slate (ive also read all of shermers books on the topic) etc., but i dont want this type of book.

The reason i ask is because i dont think that i have a good enough grounding in evolution, so im looking to expand on that.

I would appreciate it if Tormod, Freethinker or Deamonstar would recommend one to be honest, but grateful to anyone that takes the time to read and post.

Much thanks

Geko.