Science Forums

New species found

goku

i wasn't sure where to put this

just saw something on fox news about a new species scientists think they have discovered on some island. an automatic camera took a picture of some animal with a long bushy tail, an animal never seen there before.

anybody else here about it?

I think you saw a story about Borneo’s red cat-like carnivore.

By most estimates, fewer than 10% of the total animal species on Earth are known, so new species are discovered all the time. If you live in a biologically diverse place, and are interested in taxonomy, you could likely discover, name, and publish a new species every day, especially if you didn’t limit yourself to bushy-tailed mammals, and focused on bugs.

Since animal predators are less common than other kinds, this find is a better news story than “entomologist discovers new beetle”.

This reminds me of a time that I went camping at bear river resevior. It had just rained a couple night before... and there were these puddles of water scattered throughout our campsite. and in a few of them, there were these strange creatures that I'd never seen before... I'd never even heard of any creature remotely like these weird little things. They were these little creature with white heads... and two long skinney legs comming out of the sides of the ball-like head. The creature's heads ranged in sizes from about the size of a pin-head... to the size of the head of a car's antenna. And the legs were so incredibly thin.... on some of these creatures, the legs were about as thin as fishing line. I remember being fascinated by these simplistic beings. I still have no idea what the hell those things were.... but I wish I had taken a few of them home so that I could have atleast tried to identify them. who knows.... I could have been responsible for discovering some new species....

DCM,

You could plan another trip to the reservoir. Even if the creatures aren't there at the time, you can find one of those pools, or even the dried out soil from one of those pools, and bring that home. Just add water, and wait.

This is exactly the kind of thing I do to invetigate smaller animals. For the life of me, I can't guess what you might have seen. But I'd sure be interested in seeing myself!

Take care!

DCM,

You could plan another trip to the reservoir. Even if the creatures aren't there at the time, you can find one of those pools, or even the dried out soil from one of those pools, and bring that home. Just add water, and wait.

This is exactly the kind of thing I do to invetigate smaller animals. For the life of me, I can't guess what you might have seen. But I'd sure be interested in seeing myself!

Take care!

I suppose taht would be a good idea. I will go back to the reservoir someday. And when I do, I'll bring a camera with me so I can show all of you. Then maybe i can find out what the hell they were.:cup: