Science Forums

Merry Christmas

goku

Many people have already switched to the more generic "Happy Holidays".

However, before I go any further, I'd like to ask where you got the idea that 'some people (ACLU)' don't want the words used ever again. Did you recently read an article, or hear a news broadcast or something. If so, I'd really appreciate it if you could provide us with a link. While it would not surprise me a bit, I'd also like to see some actual proof that they are tyring to prevent the use of the words before anyone here goes on any rampage. :)

As for me, well, I'll probably be uttering "Merry CHRISTmas" until I'm at least as old as my GG... now THAT would be a treat!! ;)

Absolutely assinine. Just more rights being taken away. Just because I celebrate Christmas doesn't mean that I do not appreciate or respect Hanukkah.

It seems many of the major stores are doing this also. Walmart recently dumped Merry Christmas in favor of Happy Holidays.

As a retailer, we recognize some of our customers may be shopping for Chanukah or Kwanzaa gifts during this time of year and we certainly want these customers in our stores and to feel welcome, just as we do those buying for christmas.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!!

Irish...here is a few articles about ACLU and the Happy Holidays stink. http://www.renewamerica.us/columns/grogan/041210

http://www.ccohio.org/0oldstuff/white_house_decries_aclu_assault.htm

Celeste,

While I appreciate you posting those links, I have to disagree that they are actually articles. They are blogs, or rants, or op-eds. I found quite a few of those types myself, but no actual articles anywhere that said "The ACLU wants to ban the words 'Merry Christmas' from every being said again".

Yes, i know that the ACLU would probably not be quite so forthcoming with their intent, if that is actually their intent. And No, I am not a huge fan of people trying to tell me that it is against the law to say "Merry Christmas".However, I can find nothing that actually says the ACLU is trying to make these words illegal, nor are they trying to stop the celebration of Christmas.

If anyone can find actual news articles that supports these claims, I'd really appreciate it if you posted them. Ones from past years would be acceptable, but more recent ones would be preferred.

Thanks,

Irish

heh, that's the biggest load of crap I've heard. The ACLU is not trying to take anyone's rights away or stop people from saying "Merry Xmas". Stores like Walmart will say the more generic "Happy Holidays" because they want to say something to all of their customers, not just YOU! How would you feel if your favorite store's owner always said something like "Happy Kwanza" to you when you left. Sure, you would probably just shrug it off (doubtful in some people's cases), but you wouldn't feel the store owner was very sincere because you can't relate to it. Saying "happy holidays" is a way of saying that they hope you have a good holiday season, no matter how you celebrate.

oi vey! to get rid of the phrase "merry christmas" is just silly, and someone probably just wanted attention by even considering it as an option to put more restrictions on free speeh (put that in your pipe and smoke it cheaney:hihi:). the phrase has been used for so long and even i, an athiest, celebrate christmas. in my mind, if you dont believe in it or celebrate it, then let everyone else who does do it and just tend to your own form of celebration. the bottom line is, WHO CARES.B)

Stores like Walmart will say the more generic "Happy Holidays" because they want to say something to all of their customers, not just YOU! How would you feel if your favorite store's owner always said something like "Happy Kwanza" to you when you left. Sure, you would probably just shrug it off (doubtful in some people's cases), but you wouldn't feel the store owner was very sincere because you can't relate to it. Saying "happy holidays" is a way of saying that they hope you have a good holiday season, no matter how you celebrate.

well, quite honestly, if my favorite store owner saiod happy kwanzaa i would probably wish him a happy kwanzaa in return and go about my merry way!

Actually, it seems like the ACLU isn't that against Christmas:

http://www.aclu.org/freespeech/gen/10925prs20020108.html

ACLU Defends Church's Right to Run "Anti-Santa" Ads in Boston Subways

BOSTON--The American Civil Liberties Union of Massachusetts and a local attorney today filed a First Amendment lawsuit against the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA) for removing subway advertisements promoting the views of a local church and refusing to sell additional advertising space to the church.

http://www.aclu.org/studentsrights/expression/12828prs20030221.html?ht=

ACLU of MA Defends Students Punished for Distributing Candy Canes with Religious Messages

NORTHAMPTON, MA -- The American Civil Liberties Union of Massachusetts today asked a federal district court in Springfield to protect the First Amendment rights of high school students who were disciplined by school officials for distributing candy canes with religious messages just before Christmas.

http://www.aclu.org/studentsrights/religion/12805pub19990331.html?ht=

IS IT OK TO CELEBRATE RELIGIOUS HOLIDAYS IN PUBLIC SCHOOLS?

It depends. Making Christmas stockings, Easter eggs or Hannukah dreidels is probably okay because, over the years, these have become secular customs that people of many different backgrounds enjoy. But a Nativity pageant, which is full of religious meaning, could be considered unconstitutional.

But if they do seem against Christmas, at least they are consistant in their desire to have religion never forced upon someone else:

http://www.aclu.org/religion/schools/16111prs19990825.html?ht=

ACLU Sues Over Ohio School District's Policy on Religious Holidays

CLEVELAND -- The American Civil Liberties Union of Ohio today filed suit in federal court seeking to end a suburban school district's practice of closing its schools for the Jewish holidays of Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur.

go to www.foxnews.com

select the free video under the O'Reilly Factor

you'll see a video sorry, of O'Reilly talking about the attack on christmas.

Before taking popular shows like the O’Reilly Factor or Rush Limbaugh radio broadcasts seriously, it’s advisable to conduct some fact checking. Both of these people have well documented records of frequent fabrication of information, so while often thought-provoking and entertaining, need to be considered skeptically.

It’s especially important to note that neither Fox News, nor any other news broadcast news service, is under any legal compulsion to refrain from outright lieing. A recent, very brief and readable decision can be found in 2003’s

WTTV-TV v. Akre.

In short, Fox, CNN, NBC, etc., despite the appearance they give of being non-fictional are under no more legal compulsion to tell the truth than are obviously fictional, entertainment services like the Sci-Fi Channel or HBO. This is especially confusing, because there appears to be clear FCC regulation requiring exactly broadcast news services to refrain from “deceptive practices”. WTTV-TV v. Akre provides a brief explanation of why the regulations are not considered “adopted rules”.

Although I’m unable to find a link to court documents (I don’t have access to a good legal search engine ), I recall reading an illuminating transcript of a Fox lawyer who made exactly this argument – that a broadcast news show was simple a form of entertainment, not at all legally different than a fiction show.

Absent government protection from broadcast news deception, we must all assume the role of skeptics and fact-checkers, if we hope to be accurately informed.

Edited by CraigD
Fixed broken link with archive.org