Science Forums

Anti-Gravity patented

Jay-qu

Not my strange claim... you have to have a look at this though :hihi:

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=/netahtml/srchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=6,960,975.WKU.&OS=PN/6,960,975&RS=PN/6,960,975%22target=%22_blank

and the U.S patent office broke their rule of not granting patents to inventions that defy the laws of physics

• 2 weeks later...
… I don't know that we refuse any patent that goes against the laws of physics. …
The general consensus on the various web places that this patent has been discussed (since around 11/15, it seems), appears split between “I told you it’s true” comments like goku’s, and ones like this one by Mathew Ingram (scroll down to “Nice anti-grav you got there”), which claim “this is yet another example of how broken the U.S. patent system is”.

My guess was that a particular examiner or team of examiners just fumbled this one – the PTO is, after all, comprised of mere human beings. I’m eager to hear any insider info rockytriton can unearth. :)

I didn't get far enough to see any diagrams.; are there any further on? I did however read several pages of the document, which I presume everyone agrees is authentic.?

---Anyway, the arrangment of tubes in tubes sounds similar to the nested high-incidence mirrors used in constructing X-Ray telescopes. Where structure is everything, a certain shape/size of nested tubes ought have the capability to concentrate/focus any electromagnetic radiation.

---Great heads-up JayQ!

… Where structure is everything, a certain shape/size of nested tubes ought have the capability to concentrate/focus any electromagnetic radiation. …
That it’s possible to manipulate electromagnetic radiation is not what has people heated up about this “physical law violating” patent claim. It’s that the claimants propose to manipulate gravity – in some places, one get the impression the device blocks or “shields” against gravity, as in the fiction of H.G. Wells "The First Men in the Moon" or Piers Anthony’s “Bio of a Space Tyrant”, in others, that it creates gravity out of vacuum energy, allowing a spaceship to accelerate by “falling” constantly into a gravitational well that can be created and removed at will, as in Charles Stross’s “"Singularity Sky" (though Stross’s fictional device needs a 10^13 kg electron-size black hole, not just a light, hollow superconducting shell)

What strikes me as most interesting about this patent is that I suspect the authors believe the device they claim is, for reasons neither they not anyone can at the present time explain, possible, but that the device they describe is unlikely to be successful. I believe they are attempting to patent an invention that has not yet been invented, in the hope that, when it actually is, they will have a claim to it.

There is, IMHO, a substantial chance that “gravity drives” are in principle simply impossible. Until a theory of quantum gravity has more success, I don’t believe anyone can argue convincingly one way or another.

last time i heard the best person to ask is john hutchison.

his work with radio and electro-magnetism pretty much defies modern physics. if he'd had enough private funding he could have built something by now. instead his work was "stolen"..

still it'll be nice to see derivitives of this now patented technology being put into practical use in my lifetime, the likelyhood is slim though.

i meant hutchison. his work demonstrates that modern physics has a ways to go in its understand of heat and the effects of energy fields on atoms bonds.

essentially a material like metal once exited by several fields at once could boil without heat then return to its rest state, becoming a metal again. consider the boon this would be to metalurgy. we could have perfect alloys that would be impossible to create today by cold melting two very different substances together.

i only brought it up because hutchison in my opinion is the only living person who has demonstrated cheap levitation. his methods though are just not convincing enough for mainstream science to concider them for further research.

other scary applications exist like cold atomic weapons without the need for radioactive materials. what if a way could be found to create a chain reaction "disruption" using the hutchison effect?