Science Forums

Abortion: Murder

goku

I keep getting this nagging feeling that the men most vehemently opposed to abortion are the kind of men least likely to be able to attract the kind of woman who wants to settle down and raise a family.
I can quite assure you that I don't hand out questionnaires with "do you support legal abortion" before dating guys, but I never run into one that doesn't.

Being scientifically minded, I always assumed there was a correlation between the guys I find attractive and their political predilections...

Great minds think alike,

Buffy

I can quite assure you that I don't hand out questionnaires with "do you support legal abortion" before dating guys, but I never run into one that doesn't.

Being scientifically minded, I always assumed there was a correlation between the guys I find attractive and their political predilections...

Great minds think alike,

Buffy

There is a correlation between trying to score and agreeing with whatever a woman is saying. I am only guessing, but you might project feminist pheromone that subconsciously clues men to the fact that opposing abortion will reduce their chance of ever putting you in a position of considering one.

Bill

There is a correlation between trying to score and agreeing with whatever a woman is saying.
No need to tell *me* that! ;)

I'll also agree that insofar as coming up with an answer to this one for men talking to someone like me, its almost as difficult to deal with as "does this dress make me look fat?" :evil:

I am only guessing, but you might project feminist pheromone that subconsciously clues men to the fact that opposing abortion will reduce their chance of ever putting you in a position of considering one.
Indubitably! But on the other hand, I've found--and this was actually my point--that those who are against abortion have attitudes, mannerisms, and first-impression-gestalt that seem to ensure that the first flirtatious pass gets a "no thank you!" response from me, or it at least doesn't get close to the "give me your number" stage even if there is some chit chat...

The one truism here is that most people are ambivalent--thus Bill Clinton's "safe, legal and rare" position is actually quite popular here--so folks that are in the "abortion is murder" camp tend to stick out like sore thumbs and have lots of other "issues" with a whole host of issues that are downright distasteful except to those in the same camp.

You will have to pry my birth control pills from my cold dead hands, :P

Buffy

The proper answer is, "they can only be expected to hide so much, they arn't made of kryptonite."

And there you have it: yet another perfect excuse for justifiable homicide...but that's for another thread....

You be sweet to them, especially your wife. My husband wasn't sweet to me. Look how I turned out, :P

Buffy

...so folks that are in the "abortion is murder" camp tend to stick out like sore thumbs and have lots of other "issues" with a whole host of issues that are downright distasteful except to those in the same camp.
...and as if you need any evidence of that President Bush today appointed a woman to be the new head of family planning programs for the Department of Health and Human Services who's on the record as saying:
Orr railed against requiring health insurance plans to cover contraceptives. “It’s not about choice,” said Orr. “It’s not about health care. It’s about making everyone collaborators with the culture of death.”
(h/t Think Progress)

Click the links for more choice words from a perfect example of the issue Craig brings up above, which is that at least some folks do indeed take their stands to their logical-but-absurd conclusions because, well, they have to!

And once again, more appropriately:

You will have to pry my birth control pills from my cold dead hands, :P

Buffy

Astonishingly (at least to those who don’t assume that every Bush appointment is terrible), Susan Orr’s predecessor, Dr. Eric Keroack, was arguable even worse.

Fortunately, contraceptives, especially condoms, are not expensive, so even in states that have stopped providing free or subsidized contraceptives (such as Missouri), poor people can still afford them. Although the federal government under Bush has effectively removed $200,000,000/year of federal funds available to the states for contraception, states that have not stopped funding it are able to continue to afford to offer birth control and sex education. From a public health perspective, it makes sense to do so – it is much less expensive for a state to prevent accidental pregnancies than to pay for the full or partial care and support of children of such pregnancies. (source: AP Wire | 03/15/2006 | House rejects spending for birth control)

It has been apparent to me not only from news sources such as the above, but from professional experience, that the Bush administration is actively seeking to restrict access to contraception. In particular, the administration has a history of pressuring private and publicly owned for and not-for-profit health care providers and insurers to refuse to cover contraceptives and education in their use for adults. In the jurisdictions with which I have experience, the state insurance boards require insurers to provide these services to all but a narrow class of employees of certain organizations, such as orders and parishes of the Catholic church. Nonetheless, colleagues of mine have been pressured by federal officers to defy these state regulations and exclude contraception for federal employees, in one case of which I’m aware seriously alarming them with (bluffed) threats of federal criminal prosecution!

After decades of experiencing very good professional relationships with the federal government, I find the current situation spooky. I hope that the next executive administration cleans house, and promptly replaces the many spooky appointees with ones who will replace their many spooky employees.

Although I consider it hyperbole, I understand why some people refer to the current administration and its appointees as “American Taliban”.