Science Forums

Education Part ll

JOEBIALEK

This is the second part to an earlier writing about education in the United States. As you may recall, I advocated for the privatization of all schools from kindergarten to graduate studies. This piece will focus on the curriculum that needs to be followed.

Everytime I encounter someone in the workplace, I am reminded of just how much we have failed to properly educate United States citizens in the fundamentals of communication: reading, writing and speaking. Few would argue that the time is long overdue for the United States to "get back to the basics" of a fully functional education system. We need to exclusively focus on the development of communication skills from kindergarten to eighth grade along with annual testing that measures apptitude and interest. Training in mathematics should be limited to addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. Unless communication skills are fully mastered, there is no need to advance to high school.

For those who graduate to high school, the emphasis could evolve into a curriculum of philosophy, sociology, economics, psychology, science and religious studies. Books such as "For Dummies" and "The Complete Idiot's Guide" could be used to foster an understanding of different religions. Athletic activity would be strictly confined to cardio vascular exercises and all sports would be eliminated. While there would still be an emphasis on communication skills, the focus would now be on developing a foundation of basic knowledge so as to be able to graduate to college. Testing for apptitude and interest would continue through high school increasing the chances of picking the right field of study . Those not continuing on to college would enter some type of apprenticeship training for the purpose of learning a trade. For those who do graduate to college, the student would continue to study an advanced version of the same curriculum as high school but only for the first two years then they would complete their education by strictly focusing on coursework designed to train them in their field of study. Nearing graduation, internships would be required to begin the transition to the working world. Think of how different our society would be if our education system could just teach the fundamentals of reading, writing and speaking.

Ok, let me get this straight...

Through the eigth grade, the only math to be taught is "+ - X /" ?? Once the student enters high school, would more math be offered, encouraged, required, or prohibited? (Don't think I'm a math freak, my oldest daughter would totally LOVE this!)

Actaully, I agree to a great extent with your idea of getting back to the basics. We don't do a lot of structured math in our schooling. We concentrate more on communication skills. Of course, that may be due in large part to my bias towards languages (both written and spoken). I feel that if children learn how to read, and develop a love for reading, they can figure out most anything else.

I like your idea of aptitude testing as well. One of the problems in today's system is that children are forced to do things that they neither like nor have the skills to master. If a person wants to be a welder, or a hairdresser, WHY do they need foreign languages to graduate from high school?

• 4 weeks later...

Plato outlined your system over 2 thousand years ago in The Republic, & even more rigorously I might add. The merits aside, it is IMO non-implementable. Not then, not now, perhaps never. In order to do so, you must convince the... er...ignorant of its merit which they haven't the er... intelligence to reason out, or you must enforce it by draconian methods. Not likely. :confused:

hmm, I'd disagree with the limited math: Math is and always will be necessary, in every job. Shure, people can use timepeices and calculators as a crutch, but those are never as fast as somebody who memorised their tables and ratios. Exponents and variables are Integral parts of a decent math system. Algebra should be a requirement too.

I dont think religion should be taught untill later in life, if at all. Morals do not require religion to exist. As for trades workers, yes theat should be taught from an early age as well. Muchof what I know of science comes from learning trades(like why you don't want a steel gas line and a copper water line touching, how gravity works with fluids, how much more force/inertia an extra 10lbs of hammer adds, etc...) It is also shocks me when I walk into some manufacturing plants: almost everyone is 40-60, and all of them talk about retireing. Meanwhile call centers are full of people my age looking for a higher paying job, it's rediculous.

Joe, you said

''Everytime I encounter someone in the workplace, I am reminded of just how much we have failed to properly educate United States citizens in the fundamentals of communication: reading, writing and speaking. Few would argue that the time is long overdue for the United States to "get back to the basics" of a fully functional education system. We need to exclusively focus on the development of communication skills from kindergarten to eighth grade....''

i think one of our major problems is in thinking we can GIVE someone an education.

all we can do is provide facilities and faculties that allow them to educate themselves. this involves

a partnership between parents and teachers ( which failing schools do not have ), faculties who are motivated and can speak proper English ( which failing schools do not have ), classroom discipline with appropriate consequences for offenders ( which failing schools do not have ), and a system which allows for merit being rewarded

instead of ridiculed. without these things, and more, all schools will fail regardless of the curriculum.

I make no claims on the origins of morals, simply that a person can have good morals without religious beleif.

My moral structure comes from an understanding of the effects my actions can have; eg, 'don't have sex with your best friend's girlfriend and expect to remain friends with him.' 'Don't hurt/kill people, their friends/family will likely hurt/kill you.' 'Don't steal, those people worked for it, you can work for it too.'

Seems fairly straight-forward to me.

i believe if you give it some thought, you'll understand that all morality comes from religious thought. you had to learn your morals somewhere, you didn't create them out of thin air. without religion we would only have morality of animals

Actually, Kant looked at this question in great depth, and came up with what he thought a moral system not depending at all on religion, but rather based on logic (as GAHD suggests). Pick up Metaphysics of Morals by Kant (its tough reading, but interesting.)

-Will

Don't hijack this thread into the religious realm.

Start up a new thread regarding whether or not morals and religion are intertwined, if you want. That would seem to be a great topic, and would probably have a lot of interest from many different people here.

Please stick to the idea of education, and the original post.

Thanks!!

Rocky, if you need remedial courses in Ebonics, please emigrate to Washington, DC.

it is taught in every high school here and is the mother tongue for most natives.

questor, no need, I already work in the area.

by the way, my dog shows good morals at times, he could eat the cat if he wanted to, but he has better moral judgement... does that mean that my dog has accepted Jesus Christ as his personal savior??????

Irish, you run a very tight ship. it seems to me that morals are one of the most important

aspects of education. education does not consist of only academic subjects. i don't know of anyone that admits to a lack of morality, the subject gets fuzzy when they have to consider where morals come from. frequently they forget that morals are learned from others, and the others are usually some organized religion.

The morals I specified there do not require this organised religion, just simple logic (and sometimes personal experience) that can be taught in the classroom. If you wish to discuss ths further I agree It should be moved to another threadso this one can stay on the new education topic.

Back to my educational comments, I'd also like to point out

i think one of our major problems is in thinking we can GIVE someone an education. all we can do is provide facilities and faculties that allow them to educate themselves.
I agree with you, but I will point out that the environment that of the Canadian school systems i have been in was not the greatest. Here I noticed that from grade 4 all that was presented in the class was to relearn everything that we had learned from k-4, until grade 10 when the class was finally permitted to learn new stuff in math class like algebra and trig.

English class was relatively useless (to me) but I was still forced to go. Computer class was 'teaching' basic computer use, when most of the kids in there were trying to learn how to program the macheines, and had learned Basic and HTML programming in middle-school (before the class was discontinued).

All in all the system seemed designed to retard rather than help the sstudent's education, and enforce the 'Simon says' reaction in everybody. Regardless of actual grades, attendance was the main requirement in the school, if you showed up you'd pass, if you didn't you were failed. This is a Major problem in my eyes: if somebody obviously knows everything the class offers, why should they be required to stay there instead of continuing to learn in the next grade or even in another subject? That's why I say that testing is much more important than repetitive work. and will show a student's strong and weak areas much more clearly.