Science Forums

Rationalis

HydrogenBond

Rationalis was the Roman godess of reason. She was worshiped with a cult following even by some of the most progressive thinkers of the day. Ironically, this religious cult become the basis for a new way of thinking to which science is indebted. If Romans science had separated science from religion we would still be stuck at astrology. Alternately, if someone decided to resurrect this religious cult the govenment could not lnoger support science becaause reason would violate separation of church and state.

I stand on the fence looking at both sides. I can argue for or against either side. But it is ironical the reason was thought to be gift of a goddess and stemmed from reliigon. Reason allowed science to reason away the gods, i.e., religion reasoning away religion. Who knows maybe other religious insight may have similar significance both for science insight and for making it vulnerable to science and reason. Rationalis was based on polythesism which is not acceptable by any montheistic religion. The fence is a place where one can take it from both sides even though one might be trying to find common ground.