Science Forums

Great book

rileyj

An incredbile book, that many at this site should definately read, is:

Science and Religion: Are They Compatible?

by Paul Kurtz

Amazon.com: Science and Religion: Are They Compatible?: Paul Kurtz, Barry Karr, Ranjit Sandhu: Books http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1591020646/104-1403923-4693553

Editorial Reviews

From Publishers Weekly

Over the past two decades, science and religion have been seeking common ground through ongoing dialogue. The contributors to this volume provide a dimension to the conversation that has seldom been heard. Most of these essays originated as papers delivered at a 2001 conference in Atlanta sponsored by the Center for Inquiry, which is committed to the use of science and reason to conduct free inquiry into all areas of human interest. The very simple thesis of the collection is that science and religion can never be compatible. Rich and suggestive essays by such well-known thinkers as Daniel Dennett, Richard Dawkins and Arthur C. Clarke range over topics from intelligent design to sociobiology and creationism. Nobel Prize-winning physicist Steven Weinberg opens the book by declaring that a dialogue between science and religion cannot be constructive, for science has made it possible for people to be not religious. Botanist Massimo Pigliucci argues that the newly popular theory of intelligent design is a kind of "neocreationism" trying to get into public school curricula by the back door. Finally, philosopher and editor Kurtz (Skeptical Odysseys, etc.) contends that science and religion are minimally compatible, for where science has provided an understanding of the vast and mysterious cosmos, religion is "dramatic existentialist poetry," a product of humankind's creative imagination designed to overcome fear and uncertainty with hope and love. Although some will dismiss most of the essays as arrogant and contentious, they nevertheless present important and provocative voices too often drowned out by the move to assert complete compatibility between science and religion.

Copyright 2003 Reed Business Information, Inc.

• 4 months later...

wisdumn, "Lies my teacher told me" was great! I enjoyed that one too.

Have you read "Legends & Lies of World History" by Richard Shenkman? If not, try getting that one. Shenkman is hilarious. His style is engaging, and the content is along the same lines as the book you liked. Very witty, but still educatonal. Let me know if you get the chance to read it, I'd like to hear what you think.

Originally posted by: Uncle Martin

Originally posted by: wisdumn i like Kahlil Gibran's "THE PROPHET" and a book called " LIES MY HISTORY TEACHER TOLD ME"

Would you please tell me some of those "lies"? This sounds interesting.

yeah unc. i'll do that, it's been a little while since i've read it but i will re-brief it to post a few of the mentioned "lies" also i don't know if you saw but the book is available at the amazon link tormod provided at the bottom of page two

Originally posted by: IrishEyes

wisdumn, "Lies my teacher told me" was great! I enjoyed that one too. Have you read "Legends & Lies of World History" by Richard Shenkman? If not, try getting that one. Shenkman is hilarious. His style is engaging, and the content is along the same lines as the book you liked. Very witty, but still educatonal. Let me know if you get the chance to read it, I'd like to hear what you think.

i will try and remember to read that, i love being shown how history keeps being proven to just be his story and his story and the other guys story jumbled together. so the word is definitely a well defining word history(his-story)

• 2 weeks later...

for anyone who would like to read some eyewitness accounts of Jesus there is a book by Kahlil Gibran called "Jesus,son of man" according to the book contains accounts from people who knew Jesus, some of the accounts are from people mentioned in the Bible and some are from others who had different encounters with him. this is one of the books i have found that is a good non-biblical source about Jesus.

Originally posted by: wisdumn

for anyone who would like to read some eyewitness accounts of Jesus there is a book by Kahlil Gibran

Hmmmm he lived 1883-1931, Did he "channel" these eyewitnesses?

Because no one else seem to know about them!

according to the book contains accounts from people who knew Jesus, some of the accounts are from people mentioned in the Bible and some are from others who had different encounters with him. this is one of the books i have found that is a good non-biblical source about Jesus.

I always get a kick out of how fast Christers make this claim. Da Wiz did so before and said he would provide some on another list. Is this the list?

Give us ANY contemporary eyewitness reports that confirm the biblical Jesus.

ANY!

Originally posted by: wisdumn

Originally posted by: Freethinker

Originally posted by: wisdumn for anyone who would like to read some eyewitness accounts of Jesus there is a book by Kahlil Gibran

Hmmmm he lived 1883-1931, Did he "channel" these eyewitnesses? Because no one else seem to know about them!

according to the book contains accounts from people who knew Jesus, some of the accounts are from people mentioned in the Bible and some are from others who had different encounters with him. this is one of the books i have found that is a good non-biblical source about Jesus.

I always get a kick out of how fast Christers make this claim. Da Wiz did so before and said he would provide some on another list. Is this the list? Give us ANY contemporary eyewitness reports that confirm the biblical Jesus. ANY!
i just did/// what proof do you want, gibran is from the middle east so maybe there are other text that talk about Jesus since that is where Jesus was from, i'm sure before the internet you could find out alot more about andy warhol in america than you could in the middle east. but you're amazing, so amazing that even when someone provides something you ask them to you still accuse them. i see more from you in the way of attacking others instead of really proving anything yourself and it's fairly amazing that others statistically always claim this about you to, what have you proven that others ask? that's not a scriptural source so i don't know what you would call it but if you're not satisfied, i'll try to find more.

even if it is proven that Jesus existed, you'll never believe he was the Son of God because you're concerned with dogma because you still base your reaction to people instead of God, you're mad at preachers and condemning people, but those are not God, so why do you hate something just because you can't see it?