Science Forums

Katrina Relief CD - please buy!

Tormod

We currently have 45 preorders plus a 24-hour matching offer from a participant who will order up to 8 CDs tomorrow if we manage to get 8 preorders during that time. If we manage it, we are at our goal and can start pressing the CDs! Come on...spend $25 bucks... :eek2:

I received the previous CD yesterday, "Resonance: Musicians for Asia" and it is a wonderful CD. The Katrina one will be even better - a double CD with 40 tracks.

Only 3 preorders until we reach our goal of 70...are thre really nobody here who want a double album filled to the brim with original music by musicians from all over the world...for $25 including shipping? We aim to raise thousands of dollars (we already have about $1700) and absolutely all profits go to charity.

I was hoping at least a few from Hypography would hop in on this... :evil:

Save me one! My CA State ID is supposed to come in like 5 days and then I can open a checking account and all sorts of good things will happen from there :D.
:)...

Got my ID card two days ago...

Opened a checking/savings account two days ago with a local Credit Union...

Will take another 5-10 business days for my Visa checking card to get here...

:D...

SO MUCH WAITING!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Tormod, I am very much in favor of Katrina relief and all other relief as well. My concern is that the public is so selective. Maybe that's because the media is controlled by profit driven monopolies that are located primarily in the US. What about millions of people dying iin other parts of the world from preventable disasters? Why aren't you selling CDs to benefit people in Sub-Saharan Africa? Linda

Maybe that's because the media is controlled by profit driven monopolies that are located primarily in the US. What about millions of people dying iin other parts of the world from preventable disasters? Why aren't you selling CDs to benefit people in Sub-Saharan Africa?

Hey Linda, fair question. This project is actually the second one we do. The first one was "Resonance: Musicians for Asia" which raised a lot of money for victims of the tsunami in East Asia last Christmas.

There is a lot of people raising money for different kinds of projects, and it was not the media that jumpstarted the Katrina Relief CD project, but a group of musicians from several countries who got together and decided something should be done - the same day that Katrina hit.

Hope this is satisfactory.

By the way we have now presold 148 CDs! :confused:

The tracks are currently being mastered (2 CDs with 22 tracks on each) and I hope we'll start printing the discs in about 2 weeks.

My point is, that we are flailing around, making knee-jerk reactions to whatever gets the most media attention at the time, then on to another crisis that takes over it's spotlight.

So. Does it really matter what cause a group or even an individual chooses to help or their reason for doing so? Curently the spotlight is on the victims of the Asian Earthquake and many groups and individuals will choose to help this cause. Some will do so because the media brought it to their attention. Will you fault them for doing so just because it's the crisis in the spotlight for now? Is there some reason you think these people don't need the help because their story is in the spotlight?

P.S.

Who is the we that you are referring to?

My point is, that we are flailing around, making knee-jerk reactions to whatever gets the most media attention at the time, then on to another crisis that takes over it's spotlight.

I think the "we" is the media. They are the ones with knee-jerk reactions to the most recent crises. And it is their spotlight that focuses on whatever sensational horrors move the most copies. The blame is not theirs' alone as we the consumers are the ones who give them monetary reward for behaving this way. And shame on us for expecting instead virtue or morality to sway the nations.