Science Forums

Riddles

infamous

Modest:

Very clever. You could also ask "are you the god of truth" which would decode yes and no (at least 2 have to say "yes" to that question") and also could give you more information (if the god of truth and lies answers honestly then he would say "no").

I don't think that question would decode "yes" and "no" because they all three could affirm it, i.e., the god of freedom (gof) :hyper: (to lie or tell the truth ) could swing either way, as the latter is not concerned with perfect honesty or absolute dishonesty.

Of course, if it were a unanimous affirmation, the languages is decoded and what they all said means "yes" as in my Q#1.

But if the gof says the "no" word, he is identified, as the other two must answer affirmatively.

But these are alternative scenarios. And if the gof is identified, as above, then the other two must be distinguished. This is accomplished by my Q#2, "Are we in a room?"

The one who denies it then identifies himself as the god of lies (gol.)

So.... Seems the solution must be as follows:

(the god of truth = got.)

Q#1: (as mine above), "If I were to ask you all if you are gods would you say 'yes'"?" (All three must affirm and establish the translation.)

Q#2: (as yours above), "Are you the god of truth?"(Results as above.)

Q#3: (as mine above), " Are we in a room?" (The got affirms; the gol denies, and the third could go either way but is revealed by comparison with which answer he chose in Q#2. ... I think... (or is he?...:))

I'm getting a headache.

Michael

Edited for misquote of my Q#1 and comment below.

This could use some clarification. That god of freedom, as usual, is confusing the logic of the situation!

I don't think that question would decode "yes" and "no" because they all three could affirm it, i.e., the god of freedom (gof) :turtle: (to lie or tell the truth ) could swing either way, as the latter is not concerned with perfect honesty or absolute dishonesty.

I don't follow what you said.

If you ask "Are you the god of truth" then the god of truth must answer yes and the god of lies must answer yes. The god of lies can't say "no" to "are you the god of truth?". That would be a truthful response and the god of lies doesn't give truthful responses.

If you ask a question and you know that at least two will answer a certain way then that decodes yes / no. If you ask something and you know that at least 2 will answer "yes" then the majority of responses to that question (either ya or da) will mean yes.

Q#1: (as mine above), "If I were to ask you all if you are gods would you say 'yes'"?" (All three must affirm and establish the translation.)

Q#2: (as yours above), "Are you the god of truth?"(Results as above.)

Q#3: (as mine above), " Are we in a room?" (The got affirms; the gol denies, and the third could go either way but is revealed by comparison with which answer he chose in Q#2. ... I think... (or is he?...:hihi:)

If they all answer yes to Q1 and Q2 then Q3 would either definitivly give you the god of truth (if the responses are two nos and 1 yes) or the god of lies (if the responses are two yeses and 1 no). Not quite there.

~modest

I don't follow what you said.

If you ask "Are you the god of truth" then the god of truth must answer yes and the god of lies must answer yes. The god of lies can't say "no" to "are you the god of truth?". That would be a truthful response and the god of lies doesn't give truthful responses.

If you ask a question and you know that at least two will answer a certain way then that decodes yes / no. If you ask something and you know that at least 2 will answer "yes" then the majority of responses to that question (either ya or da) will mean yes.

If they all answer yes to Q1 and Q2 then Q3 would either definitivly give you the god of truth (if the responses are two nos and 1 yes) or the god of lies (if the responses are two yeses and 1 no). Not quite there.

~modest

I see what you mean that two known answers accomplish the translation of ya and da to yes or no. And your last sentence makes good sense too.

I was making it too complex, being a bit too "convoluted" some folks tell me.

Anyway... good brain exercise. Thanks.

Michael