Science Forums

Help: How Holding Breath Affects Heartrate???

OtakuBakaA

hey, im in highschool and my teacher gave me this experiment, but i was wondering if you guys can also help me out a little, i need to know how holding your breath can affect heartrate, if you can help me design an experiment too, thatl be great.

THANK YOU!

Really all you would need to do is, hold your breath while checking your pulse rate with a stop watch. Do the same without holding your breath then compare rates. If you need help, ask some else to observe the stop watch for you. BTW, welcome to Hypography OtakuBakaA..............enjoy.

what is heart rate measured by again like the unit?. =/
If you will put the three fingures of your right hand into the small depression of you wrist just below the thumb on your left hand you should be able to feel the beating of your heart. Once you've located this, you can count the beats per minute. For the average adult, this rate should lay somewhere between 60 and 80 beats per minute. Take note; remain seated and relaxed when you preform both experiments. If you exert yourself in any way while taking these measurements your heart rate will increase so both results should be arrived at while you are relaxed and seated. You may need to hunt around a bit to find your pulse and the pressure you apply with your right three fingures is also critical to recognizing your pulse.............Good luck with your experiment.

i believe it has to do with anxiety over not being able to purge your body of CO2

you will be able to control your heart rate for a while but it will become exceedingly difficult and your body will eventually shut your conscious mind out of the equation (you'll pass out) long before a normal person will run short of O2 or be poisoned by the CO2 buildup.

Well, actually it is said that the heart will pump blood faster, (you'll feel your pulse rate increasing for a while) because of the lack of O2 in your arteries. Just put it this way: when you are doing exercise, you need more oxigen dilvered and faster to all your cells. When you hold your breath your cells will ask for more O2 and the heart will try to remedy this by pumping faster. Impress your teacher by saying these are some of the side effects of hypoxia (low O2).