Science Forums

Why Is There Something Instead Of Nothing?

Amaltheia

Hey everyone! I'm new to the forums. 

I had this thought, which keeps bugging me:

"If absolutely nothing existed, reality wouldn't exist either. Therefore, absolute nothingness cannot be real. And thus, something has to exist."

Thoughts? Can it stand as a logical statement?

Absolutely . To both of your last statements .

And to add ; nothing can never Evolve into something .

nothing has no dimensions . No depth , length nor breadth . Nor space ( the room needed to manifest and then expand ).

"If absolutely nothing existed, reality wouldn't exist either. Therefore, absolute nothingness cannot be real. And thus, something has to exist."

Welcome and that is quite the question that many great minds have been puzzled by this problem.

As the English philosopher C. D. Broad confessed, "I cannot really believe in anything beginning to exist without being caused by something else which existed before and up to the moment when the thing in question began to exist."

I think all that ever will be is all that it ever was. No beginning and no end but just is. I am that I am that I am that I am.

Ok (and welcome 'new to the forums') I'll have a go at this!

This depends on what your idea of 'real' is, (and what a 'thing' is), if nothing can be real then nothingness is reality. (how is that for a massive non-answer!).

My big interest is space and time and relativity and what it all means and how it works, so I think of space as NOTHING, it's not a thing, it's just a gap between things. But it's real, we really have space, and at the same thing space is not a thing.

That does not mean that space does not have a property! So ok, what is the property of space?

Lets say you have invented a special shielding material, and you build a box from this stuff, this shielding material can shield all energy, all light, gravity, light and matter, it can shield all energy and matter.

You have this box on your bench, you extract all matter from inside the box, inside the box is NOTHING, no matter, no energy, no heat, no light, no gravity, no electric fields and no magnetic fields, and the material does not radiate any heat.

Inside the box is nothing, but it is FULL of space, the box does not cease to exist, you can still measure the lengths of the box.

So we have a property we can measure of that nothingness (that is space), it has a length! And you can measure that length.

The inside of the box is real, and it has a property you can measure, but it does not exist of anything, it's not energy or matter it's is nothing, but it's nothing we need to separate 'things'. 

Same for time, time is nothing that is also a thing, it is also a length, so in our universe only two nothings are also 'things' and they have the same fundamental property, they have length. (distance for space, and duration for time). Distance is the length between two points in space, duration is the length between two points in time.

Relativity teaches us that this length property varies for both space and time, and the speed of light being constant tells us they vary together. 

(the speed of light is the length of space!)

The question is unanswerable, as many thinkers have found out.

It is the same as asking if there can be an up without a down, a North without a South, and other similar comparisons.

All you get for your effort to answer an unanswerable question is a headache.

The question is unanswerable, as many thinkers have found out.

It is the same as asking if there can be an up without a down, a North without a South, and other similar comparisons.

All you get for your effort to answer an unanswerable question is a headache.

That is a good point, however, it is fun to debate about it and philosophize. Good way to get the mind rolling.