Science Forums

Neuro-

hazelm

Surely the prefix "neuro-" is being over-used.  What is "neuropsychological? What is a neurophilosopher?  What is Neurochemistry?   I have seen other such "neuro- words that did not seem to merit the use of "neuro" as a prefix."  Neuro- has to do with nerves. Actual physical nerves.  Does that relate to psychology, philosophy or chemistry?  I could almost accept chemistry but not psychology or, even more so, philosophy.

Is there a linguistics doctor in the house?

• 2 months later...
On 8/9/2020 at 8:35 PM, hazelm said:

Surely the prefix "neuro-" is being over-used.  What is "neuropsychological? What is a neurophilosopher?  What is Neurochemistry?   I have seen other such "neuro- words that did not seem to merit the use of "neuro" as a prefix."  Neuro- has to do with nerves. Actual physical nerves.  Does that relate to psychology, philosophy or chemistry?  I could almost accept chemistry but not psychology or, even more so, philosophy.

Is there a linguistics doctor in the house?

to begin with, I am neither a medical doctor nor linguistics doctor although I sometimes assess/accept myself as a linguist (but learner,rather than researcher in this field).

but I shall again try to represent some details I know based on your questions.

1) I think it is not used just as a prefix,but also suffix or you can find this word at the center of three words (i.e. betwen two words,in a compound word)

e.g.: electroneurophysiology

2) we have more than billion of neurons in our brain. Every neuron has at least one dendrite and acson (but there are some types (e.g.: bipolar,unipolar..) )

but in regard to your question,I think there is a good relevance between neurochemistry and the subject. 

because as many people knows every neuron secretes neurotransmitters to activate an action potential and ensure  CNS be informed by PNS.

neurons are almost always in communications each them. But neurotransmiter secretions are normally chemical particles. (e.g. asetylcholine)

3) yes that relates of course to psychology. For instance as far as I know there are some drugs that affect neurons' membrane and so some diseases are being cured.

4)not only chemistry and neurology, but also almost all of areas of sciences can have intersections these days. Such studies generally known as : interdisciplinary researches