Science Forums

Can you imagine a universe without any color?

Everything that we know of emits, reflects or transmits colors as we perceive them.

We also know that we see through light and visible light is composed of different wavelengths that correspond to different colors.

Then do objects or light really have color?

http://youtu.be/XTrU94l3TFI

What do you think?

maybe the response to this question is " relatively"

because the perception is also effective for instance the colors (as I know) are being detected by conic receptors in eye. 

but these receptors do not have to be existed at every animals' eyes.

thus, may I ask "to whom/what are you asking ?"

Edited by balagna

It all depends on what your definition of color is.

If you define color as being different wavelengths of visible light, then that certainly does exist outside of our brain.

If your definition includes the way the rods and cones in our eyes receive those wavelengths, and the way our brain interprets them, that is all internal to our cerebral circuitry.

Why do we see only certain discrete colors, when the frequency spectrum is continuous? That is the most interesting question!

Why do we see only certain discrete colors, when the frequency spectrum is continuous? That is the most interesting question!

if I understand the question correctly,then I can say that only that certain discrete colors wavelength are detecatble by human's eye.

there was more comprehensive explanation in this content but ..maybe I have to study a bit for that if I am willing to have knowlegde on this issue.

but there was presumably three main category of colors as I remember. and human's eye tries to understand them and other colors' characters are being dexcribed by their distance to these main colors, did this respond to question?

It all depends on what your definition of color is.

If you define color as being different wavelengths of visible light, then that certainly does exist outside of our brain.

If your definition includes the way the rods and cones in our eyes receive those wavelengths, and the way our brain interprets them, that is all internal to our cerebral circuitry.

I actually shared what I think on the subject in the video and wanted to see what others think. By the way, I also think the same as you do.. The perceived color is an interpretation of different wavelengths by our mind.

Even cameras don't detect colors..

Using only three colors, RGB, all other colors can be obtained. Therefore, there is no need to detect all other colors if you don't have to make spectral analysis/evaluation.

Our regular cameras also detect only RGB wavelengths, then the colors are perceived from the combinations of these wavelengths.

How our our body knows that only RGB is enough to produce all other colors is really one of the most interesting questions.

Using only three colors, RGB, all other colors can be obtained. Therefore, there is no need to detect all other colors if you don't have to make spectral analysis/evaluation.

Our regular cameras also detect only RGB wavelengths, then the colors are perceived from the combinations of these wavelengths.

How our our body knows that only RGB is enough to produce all other colors is really one of the most interesting questions.

The spectrum of visible light is continuous, from 380 nm to 740 nm, with no clear boundaries between one color and the next. If an individual color occupied only one wavelength, (say as a pure laser color) one nm each, there could be 360 individual colors in the spectrum.

However, the spectral colors are just seven: Violet, Blue, Cyan, Green, Yellow, Orange & Red

Why don’t we see spaces between these seven colors?

It makes me think of a number line, with only the natural numbers from one to seven marked on it.

But we know there are no gaps between them as these are filled in by fractions and then come those irrationals that Dedekind showed us must exist.

Are there, then any irrational colors between these seven natural colors that we can’t see unless some Dedekind comes along to show us?

The closest I can find to a mention of this is impossible and imaginary colors; mathematical objects only, but some people claim to be able to see them!

The spectrum of visible light is continuous, from 380 nm to 740 nm, with no clear boundaries between one color and the next. If an individual color occupied only one wavelength, (say as a pure laser color) one nm each, there could be 360 individual colors in the spectrum.

I think.... (But this is a belief and / or claim, so none has to believe!)

I think that there might be more even than 360 colors.

because .. we do not have specific receptors to see them.

but this does not mean that they do not exist.

you can consider this " not all of animals have rod and cone receptors. but humans do have! (can't we claim that there might be some creatures that have better vision system than human, but not better than human ?"

Edited by balagna

I am not sure how to respond your another question but presumably,yes!

I mean: this will mean and depend on sensitivity. 

for instance there might be some undetected creatures that had some undetected receptors,which are way more sensitive to light (i.e. wavelength spectrum) than a human.

Edited by balagna

for instance there might be some undetected creatures that had some undetected receptors,which are way more sensitive to light (i.e. wavelength spectrum) than a human.

It's not a 'might be' it's for certain! What could you be thinking?

Don't think of them as aliens or Martians, think of them as insects and many other lifeforms.

It's not a 'might be' it's for certain! What could you be thinking?

Don't think of them as aliens or Martians, think of them as insects and many other lifeforms.

I have many many thoughts in my dreams :) :) which of them would you like me to represent it? hahahaha:) :) :)

but you neglect that there could be undetected creatures when we consider all the universe. 

though, you will definitely be right if you wanted me to make a useful embodiment or just embodiment ,via presenting any scientific parameter for measurement ..

Edited by balagna

Here are some illustrations of how some creatures see things compared to humans.

"Humans don't see colours very well, or even at all, in low light. This is because our cone cells function best in relatively bright light.

Other cells in our eyes, called rod cells, help us see in dim light. But because rod cells only have a single light-sensitive pigment, at night we see in shades of grey.

Geckos, on the other hand, have excellent colour vision at night - a useful advantage for a nocturnal hunter. Their eyes have evolved to be up to 350 times more sensitive to colour at night than ours."

I would trade my vision in for a gecko’s.

This is how a human sees a certain scene in dim light:

gecko-vision-human-equivalent-two-column

This is how the gecko sees it in the same dim light!:

gecko-vision-example-two-column.jpg

but you neglect that there could be undetected creatures when we consider all the universe. 

though, you will definitely be right if you wanted me to make a useful embodiment or just embodiment ,via presenting any scientific parameter for measurement ..

I'm not neglecting anything. I just made you aware of the obvious on your truly ignorant statement.

And I'm not even going to attempt to decipher your 'embodiment on parameters of measurement??

Are you aware that the human eye is flawed as compared to the octopus eye? Eyes evolved in different ways and maybe that's because the god favoured the octopus?

And I'm not even going to attempt to decipher your 'embodiment on parameters of measurement??

Are you aware that the human eye is flawed as compared to the octopus eye? Eyes evolved in different ways and maybe that's because the god favoured the octopus?

:) don't fear , express your opinions without using any insulting words. I won't be fearing and won't be anxious at anything!

and what have you been contributing to the topic with your last sentence? 

@OceanBreeze has already examplified the case in advance. 

I asked you to tell us what you were thinking. That statement was either incredibly ignorant or you expressed your opinion in a way that was too complicated for your audience to understand. Or something?

I've been trying very hard to understand what you've tried to say in several instances and so this example seemed to be a good opportunity to find out if you are actually any deeper than just confusing rhetoric. 

Did I miss something in that statement or is it just as ignorant as it appears at first glance?

I need to either take you seriously or just get you out of the way.

I asked you to tell us what you were thinking. That statement was either incredibly ignorant or you expressed your opinion in a way that was too complicated for your audience to understand. Or something?

I've been trying very hard to understand what you've tried to say in several instances and so this example seemed to be a good opportunity to find out if you are actually any deeper than just confusing rhetoric. 

Did I miss something in that statement or is it just as ignorant as it appears at first glance?

I need to either take you seriously or just get you out of the way.

first ,you are free on what to do!

I give high potentiality that it was too complicated. in fact, I shall generally prefer to use such a complicated wordings. sometimes may arise to cryptography. 

lets see some of the things I was thinking. these are generally not accepted as "normal" things by a specific community. but others may either accept it or reject. 

I considered some creatures, that are commonly mentioned, but not limited  to traditionals (e.g. jinns (these are also classified section to section) ,shaitans, some specific and undefined forms.) ,including insects and other forms

I again need to express a point, as the scientifically all the content has not been detected/accepted/explored/discovered , anyone is free to believe or not to believe.

Edited by balagna