Science Forums

Electron Affinity

DRACO

How does an electron add up(enters) in the valance shell of an atom? Why is energy released when an electron adds up in the valance shell of an isolated atom.

Imbalance of charges and stability of magnetic fields due to spin of the electrons in the shell.

Edited by VictorMedvil

Plz explain that ;)

Basically, when an electron moves up in the orbital it is gaining energy because it is moving against the attraction of charge on the electron, when the electron moves back closer to the atom it will release energy because it is losing energy as it moves closer to the charged nucleus, then there are bonds basically bonds are caused because of a charge imbalance if the charge of the nucleus doesn't add up to the charge of the electrons, the atom is considered a Ion, electrons release energy when bonds are formed because the electron is in a closer orbit to the nucleus and thus requires less energy to sustain its orbit, so it gives off that extra energy.

Edited by VictorMedvil

Basically, when an electron moves up in the orbital it is gaining energy because it is moving against the attraction of charge on the electron, when the electron moves back closer to the atom it will release energy because it is losing energy as it moves closer to the charged nucleus, then there are bonds basically bonds are caused because of a charge imbalance if the charge of the nucleus doesn't add up to the charge of the electrons, the atom is considered a Ion, electrons release energy when bonds are formed because the electron is in a closer orbit to the nucleus and thus requires less energy to sustain its orbit, so it gives off that extra energy.

OK. Consider a situation in which an electron moving towards an atom. What are the ways for electron to enter the atom/orbital. Will it enter the atom forming an anion? or just collide with it and provide energy to a valance shell electron which then gets out of the atom forming a cation?

Edited by DRACO

OK. Consider a situation in which an electron moving towards an atom. What are the ways for electron to enter the atom/orbital. Will it enter the atom forming an anion? or just collide with it and provide energy to a valance shell electron which then gets out of the atom forming a cation?

It will try to produce a neutral atom but it depends on the amount of energy that electron is shot at the atom, if it is great enough energy for ionization it will produce cation, If it is not enough for ionization it will make a neutral atom or anion, I think. With Photons it is different however I think that is how electrons behave, I know for photons exactly what it is but I am not exactly sure for electrons. It may also depend on if the outer shell is filled or not. Where is Exchemist when you need him?

Edited by VictorMedvil

It will try to produce a neutral atom but it depends on the amount of energy that electron is shot at the atom, if it is great enough energy for ionization it will produce cation, If it is not enough for ionization it will make a neutral atom or anion, I think. With Photons it is different however I think that is how electrons behave, I know for photons exactly what it is but I am not exactly sure for electrons.

Last one, Why is energy produced when an electron collides with an atom or a particle collides with another particle?

Edited by DRACO

Last one, Why is energy produced when an electron collides with an atom or a particle collides with another particle?

This is another dependent on energy scenario when a extremely fast moving particle collide with another particle the Strong Nuclear Force is broken and this causes the mass to be turned into energy however for slow collisions no energy is produced as the velocity of the particle is not fast enough to destroy the binding of the Strong Nuclear Force thus energy is just conserved and transferred between them.

Edited by VictorMedvil

This is another dependent on energy scenario when a extremely fast moving particle collide with another particle the Strong Nuclear Force is broken and this causes the mass to be turned into energy however for slow collisions no energy is produced as the velocity of the particle is not fast enough to destroy the binding of the Strong Nuclear Force thus energy is just conserved and transferred between them.

This is why I like physicists more than chemists. Physicists are always there even when you don't need them. Chemists are never there even if you need them.

Energy can neither be produced and nor can be destroyed. How you said say taht energy is produced?

Edited by DRACO