Science Forums

Element 115 (ununpentium) your thoughts??

Mindsmog

• 1 month later...

Ununpentium is a radioactive and artificially-produced element. It's name is temporary, and it means simply one-one-five. Ununpentium is pronounced as oon-oon-PENT-i-em. It's phase at room temperature is expected to be solid. Density: unknown. Boiling point: unknown. Melting point: unknown. Atomic weight and number: 288/115

Sounds pretty dumb to me. I think they should call it anti-gravity-um. I have done a fair amount of research on this element and it's Berkley creators. It seems they stumbled on it accidentally in 1998, trying to create ununoctium, or element 118. It's half life of .01 nanoseconds took it through 115 , 113, 111, 107, 105. But for a moment they had created somthing special. It was never confermed. In February 2004, it was done again, soley for 115, and 113. It was a succes, and it was said a possibility that it could be a stable solid.

I dont know about you, but I think creating elements that exist for merely miliseconds is a bit dumb and a waste of time. Any thoughts? Of course, the periodic table will probably never be complete but why bother? They've even taken note of elements that decay into others. Huh? lol. Pointless, even though I'm a big fan of discoveries - especially elements. Let us know what you think guys.