Science Forums

Help With Understanding Two Studies

Scaredofradiation3

Hi, I’ve had a fear of phone radiation for a while now, the scientific community has been very helpful in helping me understand results of studies. That being said, I need someone to please look through this and tell me what you think:

(The theory is that these results are signs of Oxidative Stress which can cause cancer)

Study 1:

Background

Nowadays mobile phone is very popular, causing concern about the effect it has on people’s health. Parotid salivary glands are in close contact to cell phone while talking with the phone and the possibility of being affected by them. Limited studies have evaluated the effect of cell phone use on the secretions of these glands; so this study was designed to investigate the effects of duration of mobile phone use on the total antioxidant capacity of saliva.

Methods

Unstimulated saliva from 105 volunteers without oral lesions collected. The volunteers based on daily usage of mobile phones were divided into three groups then total antioxidant capacity of saliva was measured by Ferric Reducing Ability of Plasma (FRAP) method. Data were analyzed by SPSS software version 19. ANOVA was used to compare 3 groups and post-hoc Tukey test to compare between two groups.

Results

Average total antioxidant capacities of saliva in 3 groups were 657.91 µmol/lit, 726.77 µm/lit and 560.17 µmol/lit, respectively. The two groups had statistically significant different (P = 0.039).

Conclusion

Over an hour talking with a cell phone decreases total antioxidant capacity of saliva in comparison with talking less than twenty minutes.

Study 2:

BACKGROUND: Handheld mobile phones (MPHs) have become a Ôcultural’ accessory device, no less so than a wrist watch. Nevertheless, the use of MPHs has given rise to great concern because of possible adverse health effects from exposure to the radiofrequency radiation (RFR) emitted by the device. Previous studies suggested correlation between MPH and salivary gland tumors.

OBJECTIVE: To evaluate whether MPH induces physio- logic changes in the adjacent parotid gland, located on the dominant side, in terms of secretion rates and protein levels in the secreted saliva.

MATERIALS AND METHOD: Stimulated parotid saliva was collected simultaneously from both glands in 50 healthy volunteers whose MPH use was on a dominant side of the head. RESULTS: A significantly higher saliva secretion rate was noticed in the dominant MPH side compared with that in the non-dominant side. Lower total protein concentra- tion was obtained in the dominant compared with the non-dominant MPH side among the right dominant MPH users.

CONCLUSIONS: Parotid glands adjacent to handheld MPH in use respond by elevated salivary rates and de- creased protein secretion reflecting the continuous insult to the glands. This phenomenon should be revealed to the worldwide population and further exploration by means of large-scale longitudinal studies is warranted. Oral Diseases (2009) doi: 10.1111/j.1601-0825.2009.01620.x

Thank you for any replies in advance, I greatly appreciate it!

Edited by Scaredofradiation3

The problem is not only your phone now.

https://arizonahomeopathic.org/2019/02/06/5g-a-toxic-assault-on-the-planetary-web-of-life/

Even before 5G was proposed, dozens of petitions and appeals by international scientists, including the Freiburger Appeal signed by over 3,000 physicians, called for a halt to the expansion of wireless technology and a moratorium on new base stations. In 2015, 215 scientists from 41 countries communicated their alarm to the United Nations (UN) and World Health Organization (WHO).They stated that “numerous recent scientific publications have shown that EMF [electromagnetic fields] affects living organisms at levels well below most international and national guidelines”. These concerns have a strong scientific foundation. More than 10,000 peer-reviewed scientific studies demonstrate harm to human health from RF radiation.

Research in the last 20 years shows that ELF electromagnetic fields affected the way calcium ions move in brain tissue and the way this affects the cells’ inner workings. The more permeable blood/brain barrier, which will happen with the 5G, a greater amount of toxins can enter the brain. The opening of the blood/brain barrier and calcium leakage is also associated with oxidative damage to the neurons; and it also breaks up the DNA structure. All of this is already associated with electro-smog, dirty electricity, electrical pollution, and electrical hypersensitivity, which is seen in many patients.

Making potential health problems significantly worse, at least five companies are proposing to provide 5G from space from a combined 20,000 satellites in low- and medium-Earth orbit that will blanket the Earth with powerful, focused, steerable beams. Each satellite will emit millimeter waves with an effective radiated power of up to 5 million watts from thousands of antennas arranged in a phased array.

In conclusion, in 2015, 215 scientists from 41 countries communicated their alarm (about the potential of 5G) to the United Nations (UN) and World Health Organization (WHO). They stated that “numerous recent scientific publications have shown that EMF [electromagnetic fields] affects living organisms at levels well below most international and national guidelines”. As already stated, more than 10,000 peer-reviewed scientific studies demonstrate harm to human health from RF/MW radiation. Effects include:

• Alteration of heart rhythm
  • Altered gene expression
  • Altered metabolism
  • Altered stem cell development
  • Cancers
  • Cardiovascular disease
  • Cognitive impairment
  • DNA damage
  • Impacts on general well-being
  • Increased free radicals
  • Learning and memory deficits
  • Impaired sperm function and quality
  • Miscarriage
  • Neurological damage
  • Obesity and diabetes
  • Oxidative stress
  • Autism
  • ADHD
  • Asthma
  • Negative altered mental states, including increased depression, anxiety, and suicidal tendencies

Damage goes well beyond the human race, as there is abundant evidence of harm to diverse plant- and wildlife and laboratory animals, including ants, birds, forests, frogs, fruit flies, honey bees, insects, mammals, mice, plants, rats, trees, and microbes.

Edited by Thoth101

Mulling this over some more, if you think about it the suns radiation is way more powerful than a mobile phone, and causes both beneficial and none beneficial side effects. Are you worried about being out on a sunny day. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunlight

The sun gives out more radiation/meter2  than a mobile phone, and operates at a higher frequency than 5G. There is no evidence mobile phones cause serious health problems. There is clear evidence that shows the sun can cause health problems. 

Your missing a very important point. The Sun is natural!! Cell phones and Wi-Fi are not natural! People and all living things on this earth survive and must have the Sun to live. Humans do not need a cell phone and Wi-Fi to live and to compare the Sun to a cell phone is ludicrous and ridiculous.

Edited by Thoth101

Just one study among the many:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0013935119308102

Emerging studies have provided evidence on the carcinogenicity of radiofrequency radiation (RFR) from cell phones. This study aims to test the genetic susceptibility on the association between cell phone use and thyroid cancer. 

Highlights

The interaction between cell phone use and genetic variants on thyroid cancer was investigated in this study.

When some genetic variants were present, cell phone use was significantly associated with thyroid cancer.

The association increased when cell phone use duration and frequency increased.

Genetic susceptibility may modify the association between cell phone use and thyroid cancer.

Many many more:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0969806X20302085

Abstract

Exposures to electromagnetic radiation mainly from the extended use of mobile phones may initiate biological damages in the human body at the macromolecular level. Several studies on human and animal models have shown significant changes in the functions of neural cells. Present empirical study analyses the thermal changes and the specific absorption rates (SAR) of brain, eye and skin tissues due to prolonged exposure to mobile phone radiation.

Your link https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1601-0825.2009.01620.x

and another https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/salivary-gland-cancer/symptoms-causes/syc-20354151

There appears to be no evidence increased or decreased saliva rates are a problem. Certain foods cause more saliva to flow. Why are you concerned ? 

Which other science forums have you posted your question on?

I posted this on Reddit’s biology forum, I thought that this was a sign of oxidative stress which can cause cancer, am I wrong?

Again speculative and inconclusive. 

After years of mobile phone use there is as yet no conclusive evidence they cause harm.

Ok well enjoy putting the phone up to your head. I hope it does you well. :yes: In my own observation though phones are clearly sucking thought and critical thinking out of many peoples heads. No pun intended. Oh that's right you barley use a cell phone.

To point out the power level of the sun and compare it to a mobile phone is not nonsense. Radiation exists naturally, would you prefer to inhale Radon gas a natural product to holding a mobile phone. https://www.nhs.uk/news/cancer/radon-gas-warning/

Do you know what Shumann resonance is, I wasnt sure so I looked it up. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schumann_resonances

There are a lot of alternative theories that use scientific sounding claims, which are complete nonsense. https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4352

Emerging studies = incomplete and inclusive studies. The study Aims to test(future tense) the genetic blah blah and thyroid cancer. 

IE no conclusive tests have been carried out.

It is ok to stick your head in the sand if you want and pretend it is not real. Many people do that.

To point out the power level of the sun and compare it to a mobile phone is not nonsense. Radiation exists naturally, would you prefer to inhale Radon gas a natural product to holding a mobile phone. https://www.nhs.uk/news/cancer/radon-gas-warning/

Do you know what Shumann resonance is, I wasnt sure so I looked it up. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schumann_resonances

There are a lot of alternative theories that use scientific sounding claims, which are complete nonsense. https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4352

Emerging studies = incomplete and inclusive studies. The study Aims to test(future tense) the genetic blah blah and thyroid cancer. 

IE no conclusive tests have been carried out.

I am not sure why you think Wikipedia is a reliable source. Anybody can put any kind of information on there. I will tell you what is nonsense. People believing the entities, that have billions of dollars invested in mobile devices and 5G. You have to be utterly insane and negligent  in your thoughts to believe that cell phones and 5G will not harm you in any way. Hey but you are free to believe what you want and who you want. Ask your daddy Bill Gates and I am sure he will tell you that 5G and cell phones will even make you smarter. :sheepjump:  I would bet you any money that Bill Gates and Melinda don't even let their kids have phones. They have no problem feeding us the peasants poison though. It makes for good population control and thought control.

If you would have actually read the article I posted it says it right in the article!!! Are you saying the Dr. Gabriel Cousens is wrong? I will post it again for you since I am nice:

The Schumann Resonance is a geomagnetic electric resonance between the surface of the earth and the lower levels of the ionosphere, which has a natural ultra-low frequency and extreme low-frequency signal. They are discovering that the Schumann Resonance signal is correlative with sunspot numbers and has a real physical mechanism located in the D-layer of the ionosphere with an ion and electron density that varies with the S-GMA. The Schumann Resonance would be potentially disrupted by 20,000 5G satellites put into orbit in the D-region of the ionosphere, as this D-region forms the upper boundary of the resonant cavity in which the Schumann Resonance is formed in relation to the earth. Research suggests that the Schumann Resonance signals are the mechanism through which melatonin production is activated. When the Schumann Resonance goes above 7.87 Hz, there is a decrease in melatonin secretion

Many feel that the Schumann Resonance is already being altered by all the radiofrequency/microwave (RF/MW) radiation humans are presently creating, and 5G will alter it significantly more. In the process, the 5G may also be creating enough electropollution noise, whether or not it is raising the Schumann Resonance frequency, and therefore disconnecting humanity from accessing the Schumann Resonance itself, and, thus, creating and/or amplifying a variety of acute and chronic disease problems documented in over 10,000 scientific papers that come from these 2G, 3G, and 4G frequencies.

https://arizonahomeopathic.org/2019/02/06/5g-a-toxic-assault-on-the-planetary-web-of-life/

Edited by Thoth101