Science Forums

Hiding Inside The Leaves

hazelm

We have Biology but we don't have Botany.  Will this do?  I have a question.  Years ago, the Kansas City Star had an article about allergies from grass and leaves.  His main point was that there is   something inside blades of grass and tree leaves that, when cut or broken, this "something" escapes into the air and makes some people miserable with allergic reactions.  He did name it - some uncommon name - maybe a scientific term.  Could anyone hazard a guess?

Thank you.  Hazel M

"Hiding Inside The Leaves"  sounds like a good title for a horror movie.

The only thing I can think of is pollen, but that doesn't fit your description of being some uncommon name.

Grass pollen is one of the main causes of allergies, hay fever, but it doesn't come from inside the leaves.

Edited by OceanBreeze

Maybe they mean Chlorophyll. Isn't that released when grass is cut? You can even smell fresh cut grass and I don't mean the lawnmower.

Toth,  I think you are right.  And how did I forget that?  I know I cannot breathe around fresh-cut grass.  When the mowers show up,  I close the windows.  Chorophyl.  Right.  There are even certain green vegetables that I feel the same way about.  Not  allergic to them; just that my imagination says they taste "green".  Don't ask!  :innocent:

Thank you.  And, thank you Flummoxes and Ocean Breeze.  Have a good day and all keep safe.  hazel

Toth,  I think you are right.  And how did I forget that?  I know I cannot breathe around fresh-cut grass.  When the mowers show up,  I close the windows.  Chorophyl.  Right.  There are even certain green vegetables that I feel the same way about.  Not  allergic to them; just that my imagination says they taste "green".  Don't ask!  :innocent:

Thank you.  And, thank you Flummoxes and Ocean Breeze.  Have a good day and all keep safe.  hazel

Your welcome hazelm. That was just the first thing that popped in my head when you mentioned grass. Even people that aren't allergic to it get a few sneezes here and there. On a side note I had a friend when I was younger and he could make himself sneeze just looking at the sun. He was kind of vampirish. :lol: I remember when my one daughter was younger if she would just crawl in the grass she would get a rash. Luckily she did eventually grow out of getting rashes from grass. Sorry about your allergies. I am fortunate not to be allergic to anything myself.

Your welcome hazelm. That was just the first thing that popped in my head when you mentioned grass. Even people that aren't allergic to it get a few sneezes here and there. On a side note I had a friend when I was younger and he could make himself sneeze just looking at the sun. He was kind of vampirish. :lol: I remember when my one daughter was younger if she would just crawl in the grass she would get a rash. Luckily she did eventually grow out of getting rashes from grass. Sorry about your allergies. I am fortunate not to be allergic to anything myself.

I know the feeling.  I could sit on a bench, yards from poison ivy plants and be covered with horrible rash the next day.  My nemisis.  Take care?