Science Forums

Fixed Points, Sort Of...

Special Relativity states that all things exist relative to one another and so no true fixed points can exist or at the very least be found.

I feel this can be contradicted when looking at space-time singularities. A space-time singularity being a point at which the gravitational pull becomes infinite (or pseudo-infinite), if this is true then wouldn't the fabric of space-time be fixed around that point, any movement of the singularity would then be directly expressed by the fabric of space-time and vice-versa. This would then be a "fixed-point", unfortunately this would only be useful if the fabric of space-time was unchangeable but for the theory of gravity to function this cannot be the case.

This is why I describe these theoretical points as sort of fixed, the fabric of space-time would be directly tied to a collection of matter but gravity still bends space-time. If this theory does make sense, it may lead to some useful revelations about how Universe Expansion works and why the expansion is accelerating.

I freely admit I have no given calculations for this, I feel this is a job for someone far smarter than me.

• 3 weeks later...

The problem with understanding relativity is the distance and time between objects. Each object has it's own space-time in relativity and therefore it's not difficult to draw the conclusion that space-time originates from any existing particle.

A particle might be described as it's own universe origin.

When I perform a thought experiment I find that a particle by itself in space has no velocity or time without a secondary object for a reference. If two objects are out in space alone, then I can judge the velocity or time of one of the objects by referencing the other, add a third and so on and so forth.

But again, a lone object in space-time has no velocity and experiences no time passage. At least that might be true for point particles or singularities?