Science Forums

Fine Structure Constant

Timboo

OK, but please don't think that a scientist is ever absolutely sure, what I am saying is that the vacuum decay due to the Higgs is a massive speculation. In fact, many assumptions we have had about the Higgs boson, has been purely speculation.

So nothing to worry about in our lifetime

Thank you for your help

I would say no. Be more worried about climate change, because in that respect, we are seeing the final days if we do not do anything about it. Just regukating how we live, how we eat and how we consume energy will play big parts, but the biggest parts need to come from the money hoarding moguls who are systematically abusing the planet and the life on it.

I would say no. Be more worried about climate change, because in that respect, we are seeing the final days if we do not do anything about it. Just regukating how we live, how we eat and how we consume energy will play big parts, but the biggest parts need to come from the money hoarding moguls who are systematically abusing the planet and the life on it.

Thank you

Some news articles and YouTube videos make it seem like it’s about to happen.

Always good to have clarification

Have a good day

Edited by Timboo

Even scientists can act like doom soothsayers.

Not sure what you mean

I thought it was nothing to worry about?

I was talking about news articles and stuff

They all say not for billions of years but then throw in it can happen at any time.

Edited by Timboo

Not sure what you mean

I thought it was nothing to worry about?

I was talking about news articles and stuff

They all say not for billions of years but then throw in it can happen at any time.

Scientists love making headlines, that's the only thing to be worried about here. So move along and stop panicking yourselves.

Edited by Dubbelosix

Not at all, it implies we have our understanding wrong... Besides, a vacuum doesn't decay because of a single particle, the universe will decay back into energy given time, but its a long time from now.

Please elaborate on why now it’s a long time from now.

I am not questioning your responses I am hoping for the facts that explain this

Dr Katie Mack seems to think it is very plausible

Edited by Timboo