Photo
- - - - -

Time To Accelerate To Maximum Velocity Including Drag

Classical drag acceleration flight aircraft velocity aeronautics thrust force aviation

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Planckenstein

Planckenstein

Curious

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 07:34 AM

Say I have an aircraft. I know it's thrust and the properties needed to determine its drag. The craft accelerates at at 10 m/s^2. Making the drag equal to the thrust, I determine its max speed to be 180 m/s. If I were to ignore drag, I could simply say it would take 18 seconds to reach maximum velocity, but I am attempting to determine how long it would take to reach 180 m/s including drag. As the velocity increases, the drag force with increase exponentially, so the net thrust/rate of acceleration would decrease each second. Is there a way to wrap F=ma with F=(CApv^2)/2 to determine the time to reach maximum velocity including drag or do I need to learn some calculus for this one?

#2 Dubbelosix

Dubbelosix

Creating

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3429 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 07:35 AM

Why have you taken my formula? That formula pretty much explains dark matter.

#3 OceanBreeze

OceanBreeze

Creating

• Moderators
  • 1085 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 08:39 AM

Why have you taken my formula? That formula pretty much explains dark matter.

Is your name Lord Rayleigh?

The drag equation: F= pv2CDA/2, is his and it has nothing to do with dark matter.

Edited by OceanBreeze, 13 February 2020 - 08:42 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Classical, drag, acceleration, flight, aircraft, velocity, aeronautics, thrust, force, aviation