Science Forums

I Don't Understand Networking

randomsoldier1337

I've talked to a few people and I think I get the basic gist that you talk to a bunch of people in your field, some outside, make friends and then you have a 'network' of people with certain skills you can fall back on when you need it and your own ability in that area is insufficient and vice versa when they need you.

However, practically, for some reason, I just can't fathom it. Or maybe I don't want to. I don't know. Maybe it's my background/upbringing. I haven't thought about it too much. All I know is that it's important and the few people I have asked about it, I couldn't fully understand the concept. Like who do I do it with? Why is it really that important? How do I do it? And is it really worth it if I find the person disagreeable in some way?

Well seems like I am getting highly varying answers from all the various places that I have asked.

Just to be clear, I am not saying I don't talk to anyone who likes to or enjoys speaking to me or that I don't help when asked for. But I really don't feel comfortable going out of my way to go to parties or unnecessarily engage people because all I ever feel is that everybody gets piss drunk or there is simply bland, low level, gossip, respectively or perhaps somewhat overlapping.

think my time would be better spent honing my core skills. Networking seems more chance based than that and I haven't quite gotten a particularly motivational answer to make me seek a more active role in it than what I have described.

Well seems like I am getting highly varying answers from all the various places that I have asked.

Just to be clear, I am not saying I don't talk to anyone who likes to or enjoys speaking to me or that I don't help when asked for. But I really don't feel comfortable going out of my way to go to parties or unnecessarily engage people because all I ever feel is that everybody gets piss drunk or there is simply bland, low level, gossip, respectively or perhaps somewhat overlapping.

think my time would be better spent honing my core skills. Networking seems more chance based than that and I haven't quite gotten a particularly motivational answer to make me seek a more active role in it than what I have described.

Sounds perfectly normal to me.  Each person has his own talents.  Use them as they fit.

Well seems like I am getting highly varying answers from all the various places that I have asked....I think my time would be better spent honing my core skills. Networking seems more chance based than that and I haven't quite gotten a particularly motivational answer to make me seek a more active role in it than what I have described.

Depends. Networking generally has higher value the older you(or the people you connect with) are; there's only so much time to learn things and get stuff. Like if you need a specialty tool, or skillset that takes thousands of hours to develop. By spending a few hours a week meeting the right people with them lets you do in a couple hours what might take months or more otherwise. EG; need a lath/mill/break/press for a couple hours, can either buy one and let it collect dust or know someone who'll let you use it for the short time you need. Is that gout or is it a planters? If you know a nurse or doctor or two you can find out!

It's just another type of investment. You can load the dice by creative means: Mixers posted in the nursing college dorm billboards, same in the engineering faculty area, bars close to specific industry area around quitting time, lurking like a creeper at the gates of a construction site...etc.