Science Forums

What Happened To The (Other) Scienceforums Site?

NewUserHere

Hi,

Does anyone know what happened to this(other scienceforums) site?

For several hours already I can't open it, can you? There was an interesting thread there that I was followed but now I can't see it.

Can you please check and tell me if this site is available to you?

Thanks.

Edited by GAHD
rule violation

Hi,

Does anyone know what happened to the site:

?

For several hours already I can't open the site, can you? There was an interesting thread there that I was followed but now I can't see it.

Can you please check and tell me if this site is available to you?

Thanks.

Looks as if it may have crashed. This is not unknown. I've even witnessed another science forum being brought down by a malicious posters who didn't take kindly to being banned for annoying everyone. It took the administrators almost a week to get rid of the problems.  Give it 24hrs and try again. 

Looks as if it may have crashed. This is not unknown. I've even witnessed another science forum being brought down by a malicious posters who didn't take kindly to being banned for annoying everyone. It took the administrators almost a week to get rid of the problems.  Give it 24hrs and try again. 

Thanks all,

I hope that it will come back soon.

Usually such a large sites doesn't falls often.

not sure but they seem pretty incompetent and uneducated there anyway.  I asked a few simple questions in the immunology section, such as how does consumption of histidine affect the immune system and how does exposure to an allergen affect release of T-Cells and how may this go on to affect internal pathogens?  

I received one very basic reply which didn't answer the questions at all but it said it was a bad idea to stimulate the immune system and that humans don't accumulate microorganisms or pathogens over their lifetime 

I know it's a basic fact that humans do, so I replied that humans do in fact accumulate microorganisms and pathogens from exposure to them in the world

Then one of the moderators of the site got angry and started spamming the post and trying to derail it.  Multiple moderators and admins claimed that I was arrogant for saying a basic fact that humans accumulate pathogens over their life.  They continually denied this basic fact.  They moved the thread to the "speculation and non scientific" section and then they claimed I'd received my answers but didn't like the answer then they closed the thread, when in fact no one knew anything about the questions I'd asked or had even attempted to answer them, instead they just derailed the thread crying about me saying that humans accumulate pathogens.  

So good riddance to the site anyway from my pov lol.  

I hated Strange. Was a jerk, making Strange a mod was probably why this happened.

This is one thing we can agree on Strange is a Dick and he usually doesn't know what the **** he is talking about. Mordred was the bomb tho, I primarily miss that site because of Mordred, now he was really helpful and always knew his stuff, but only the strong survive now (the other scienceforums) is dead and http://www.Scienceforums.com remains as the strong.

Edited by GAHD
rule violation

not sure but they seem pretty incompetent and uneducated there anyway.  I asked a few simple questions in the immunology section, such as how does consumption of histidine affect the immune system and how does exposure to an allergen affect release of T-Cells and how may this go on to affect internal pathogens?  

I received one very basic reply which didn't answer the questions at all but it said it was a bad idea to stimulate the immune system and that humans don't accumulate microorganisms or pathogens over their lifetime 

I know it's a basic fact that humans do, so I replied that humans do in fact accumulate microorganisms and pathogens from exposure to them in the world

Then one of the moderators of the site got angry and started spamming the post and trying to derail it.  Multiple moderators and admins claimed that I was arrogant for saying a basic fact that humans accumulate pathogens over their life.  They continually denied this basic fact.  They moved the thread to the "speculation and non scientific" section and then they claimed I'd received my answers but didn't like the answer then they closed the thread, when in fact no one knew anything about the questions I'd asked or had even attempted to answer them, instead they just derailed the thread crying about me saying that humans accumulate pathogens.  

So good riddance to the site anyway from my pov lol.  

So what evidence do you have for your notion that the human body accumulates micro-organisms and pathogens over its life? My understanding is that there is what is now called a biome, but this is established relatively early in life and is not a process of accumulation.

Could it be that you were treated the way you describe because you were advocating crank ideas?

P.S. I have always found Strange to be very well-informed, on a large range of scientific topics. 

Edited by exchemist

So what evidence do you have for your notion that the human body accumulates micro-organisms and pathogens over its life? My understanding is that there is what is now called a biome, but this is established relatively early in life and is not a process of accumulation.

Could it be that you were treated the way you describe because you were advocating crank ideas?

P.S. I have always found Strange to be very well-informed, on a large range of scientific topics.

That's not my notion. It's something discovered before I was even born and it's one of the most basic things people learn when they begin to learn about microorganisms and immunology. Like in highschool maybe even primary school level. That's why it's so funny the people actually moderating the forum didn't know this and tried to argue that it's not true. The existence of a microbiome (which even you admit the baby isn't born with but in your own words it's "established early in life" in other words the baby is exposed to microorganisms which then settle on it, the first major time this happens is microorganisms from the mother's vagina as it passes through) doesn't change the fact that humans accumulate more microorganisms over their lifetime, some of which clearly have negative effects hence are pathogens. Your microbiome constantly changes and can include harmful microorganisms too. You can read about many things to catch up on this old news like how your own skin's microbiome will change to incorporate some of the microorganisms of a new lover after you lie together with your skin touching, and you can learn about what "latent infections" are. None of this is my theory it's just simple facts which are known. If you want to claim that against all current literature humans don't accumulate pathogens you'll need to provide evidence of that and explain why all the current literature is wrong.

Wait a second what rule did I violate?

Specificly: Spam Links that are self-promotional or advertising will be removed. We are happy to sell you advertising space, but we will immediately remove any material that we decide is self-promotional, even if it is not for profit. We also reserve the right to make exceptions to this rule and be inconsistent in the offering of such exceptions.

It was more the OP that violates it. I just had to edit my way down the post chain. Would have been easier to just do a 3 click  "this is spam" wipe of everything but I felt that would be a disservice even if it was easier on me.

That's not my notion. It's something discovered before I was even born and it's one of the most basic things people learn when they begin to learn about microorganisms and immunology. Like in highschool maybe even primary school level. That's why it's so funny the people actually moderating the forum didn't know this and tried to argue that it's not true. The existence of a microbiome (which even you admit the baby isn't born with but in your own words it's "established early in life" in other words the baby is exposed to microorganisms which then settle on it, the first major time this happens is microorganisms from the mother's vagina as it passes through) doesn't change the fact that humans accumulate more microorganisms over their lifetime, some of which clearly have negative effects hence are pathogens. Your microbiome constantly changes and can include harmful microorganisms too. You can read about many things to catch up on this old news like how your own skin's microbiome will change to incorporate some of the microorganisms of a new lover after you lie together with your skin touching, and you can learn about what "latent infections" are. None of this is my theory it's just simple facts which are known. If you want to claim that against all current literature humans don't accumulate pathogens you'll need to provide evidence of that and explain why all the current literature is wrong.

The development and change of the biome does NOT automatically imply "accumulation of pathogens".

Can you refer me to a link that supports the idea that the human body accumulates pathogens? 

My needle of my crank detector has moved from its end stop.  

Edited by exchemist

The development and change of the biome does NOT automatically imply "accumulation of pathogens".

Can you refer me to a link that supports the idea that the human body accumulates pathogens? 

Does that work like a Geiger counter? I need one of these Crank Detectors can I buy one for $19.99?

Edit: Wait Wait...... I already have a Crank Detector and it's name is A.R.I. the Modified Cortana, the best virtual assistant A.I. with a voice activated crank detector.

Untitled.png

708f9f0cd635ba0ee40294c510f1e8ed-full.pn

Edited by VictorMedvil

You seem like you're in fact one of the uneducated moderators of the immunology section. Do you even have a PHD and work in immunology research?

I think that you don't have enough education or knowledge to have or deserve a "crank detector" because you don't know anything to know if something even begins to sound correct or not.

It sounds to me like someone told you we have a magical thing called a microbiome and this makes us immune to all disease. The reality is that microbiome is merely a word for all the microorganisms which live on and inside us. In reality we have an incredibly diverse range of different organisms living on and inside us. Some beneficial and some not so beneficial and this is also constantly changing. Tomorrow some species which live on you might die out and you might get a few different ones living on you. That's the reality. The microbiome isn't a magical thing which gives you immunity to all pathogens. The microbiome is just the name for small things which settle on us. Many of them in fact act like parasites and don't have a positive effect. Anything which gives any kind of negative effect whether spots, rash, dry flaky skin, stuffy nose, whatever, it can be called a pathogen. Many of them give mild negative effects but not strong enough for us to seriously pursue or use a cure: we just put up with them living on us. We can collect a new organism which comes to live on or inside us at any stage in our lives from exposure to it in the environment. All of the microorgsnisms out there which produce negative effects and which are quite successful at settling on or inside us and surviving we can easily contract from exposure and they may well live on/inside us for life. Hence we accumulate them over our lifetime. This is a basic fact.

examples of some of the pathogens we may contract, adding to the overall accumulation of many pathogens over our lifetimes are:

Herpes type 1 found in: 0% of newborns, 27% of 14-19 year olds, 41.3% of 20-29 year olds, 51.4% of 30-39 year olds, 59.7% of 40-49 year olds. (study on US citizens)

toxoplasma antibodies (which indicate the subject was once infected and hence latent cysts may be present) found in: 0% of newborns, 16% of 15-19 year olds, 27% of 20-24 year olds, 33% of 25-29 year olds, 40% of 30-34 year olds and over 50% of 35yrs+ (study on US females)

latent TB: found in 0% of newborns, 28% of 5-10 year olds, 88% of 31-35 year olds. (study on South Africans)

there are countless other pathogens which enjoy to live on us (really countless as many are yet to be discovered or studied in depth and they haven't all been clearly logged yet, is it in the hundreds of thousands or millions or trillions we are yet to know). some other common ones are fungal skin infections which are a main cause of dandruff, athlete's foot, can be a main cause of spots or blemishes on the skin etc.

these are just a few examples I cannot list every single pathogen out there for you.

Instead of asking for research papers maybe you should ask your teacher in class. This is a bit beneath research papers it's highschool text book level knowledge.

Funnily enough, not only did the uneducated mods not understand this. The guy who was moderating the immunology section, who wrongfully claimed humans don't accumulate pathogens over their lifetime, also claimed it's wrong, dangerous and a bad idea to try to stimulate the immune system. So it seems he's an antivaxer as well. Hilarious. An antivaxer who doesn't understand basic things about microorganisms moderating the immunology section and claiming I don't know what I'm talking about, moving my thread to speculations then locking it because their fragile egos couldn't take someone telling them they're wrong.

Edited by argananana

Instead of asking for research papers maybe you should ask your teacher in class. This is a bit beneath research papers it's highschool text book level knowledge.

1.  Read the rules, conveniently linked in the bottom right of every single page on this site. You're breaking a few here. Friendly warning.
  2. Highschool teaches a lot of..."lies" would be the best word I think. Close enough for the unwashed masses who only need to push a mop or change a tire, but not the most accurate information and often information that's very out of date. You'll note one of our rules here is "don't assume it's obvious" and another is "backup your claims with links" This is because of how downright wrong most of what common knowledge people have learned is.
  3. Text books that don't come from research papers are firewood.

• Read the rules, conveniently linked in the bottom right of every single page on this site. You're breaking a few here. Friendly warning.
  • Highschool teaches a lot of..."lies" would be the best word I think. Close enough for the unwashed masses who only need to push a mop or change a tire, but not the most accurate information and often information that's very out of date. You'll note one of our rules here is "don't assume it's obvious" and another is "backup your claims with links" This is because of how downright wrong most of what common knowledge people have learned is.
  • Text books that don't come from research papers are firewood.

Ok sure. I'm not arguing with you but I want to share some of my opinions ok? The first thing I think is, shouldn't people have some background knowledge on a topic rather than keep saying "give link" for the basic info? For example if I went into maths forums and said "what 5+5=10? Can you prove that give link citation needed!" Is that acceptable for me to do or is it acceptable for someone to actually tell me to go and learn maths before using the forum?

You can say highschool teaches a lot of things which aren't true. Yeah I know this I know I was taught many things I later discovered weren't true. But also I know what basic facts are true such as how humans come into contact with microorganisms which can live on or inside us. Don't you accept this is a very basic known fact which isn't in dispute by anyone serious at all?

Second I don't think you can back up a claim with a few links. You can link anything. What if there are 2 research papers with 2 different results and I link 1 showing the results I like, then will that end the argument because the almighty link has been given? A link doesn't really mean anything. A research paper doesn't mean anything. 1000 research papers which have all replicated the results mean something a little more. So I don't see the merit in 1 link tbh. People are obsessed saying give link and I actually think it's anti science anti knowledge and shows a lack of understanding. It treats a link to any research paper like it's a god. It's the opposite of how we actually learn to critically analyse research papers in academia. And in fact the quality of research papers we have today is incredibly poor. The standards are very low. Many variable not accounted for. Manipulated methods and results in order to show the desired end results. The amount of idiotic research papers we come across is appalling. Its difficult to find a solid really good research paper. Most are bad currently, that's the reality.

If someone is claiming gravity doesn't exist and telling me I must give proof that gravity exists, I think in fact they must back up their claim that gravity doesn't exist and I don't need to back up anything I've said (since it's already a widely established fact). This guy is claiming humans don't accumulate parasites. It's the same like claiming gravity doesn't exist because he's making claims against what all the literature says. So I think he's to provide the links not me?

But I agree I'm not talking that nicely to him. But that's because he also didn't talk nicely to me. Both in here and on another forum. He tried to mock and belittle me simply because I stated a fact which was opposite to what a moderator said. He couldn't comprehend his clique isn't actually that smart or knowledgeable on the topic then they all got mad at being corrected. It's not really my fault. Even here if you say I'm not speaking as nice as I could be, true, but you must also see he isn't too. Who says things like "my crank detector" in a civilised discussion? He's being arrogant and he's also wrong on a basic fact too. So I didn't like this. That's why I spoke the way I did. If people speak nicely to me I'll always speak nicely to them.