Science Forums

Electricity From Darkness

GAHD

Well, more accurately using a thermocouple to harvest work from the cooler nighttime air. Still. this anti-solar panel idea is kinda neat. Almost like they're going back to the roots that Lord Kelvin started with.

Generating Light from Darkness

I hit a paywall ($31.50). Is there any free publications available (that you know of)? Or is it hot off the press and only available to read for a fee?

Seems very interesting either way! Especially for remote and under developed nations. Do you think this would still work in regions like Anarctica where science stations reside? Thinking of regions that have long periods of darkness sometimes. Silly me cannot remember if I have that backwards...those regions may have periods of too much daylight?

Probably less useful in Antarctica due to less thermal varience but I could be wrong...It's news but it's not exactly "new" technology. It's probably less useful than the telluric currents that fell out of fashion as far as poor countries and frozen wastelands are concerned. I didn't throw Kelvin into my little blurb there for no reason, check him out. AFAICT these guys are just throwing a modern materials science twist on stuff that made that barony.

As for the paywall problem, I didn't find thatparticular DOI on arxiv, but there's other stuff from each of the names on the papers. Raman and Fan seem to be joined at the wrist. I'm sure if you dig and dig you'll be able to find it on one of the collections, but what's more important is the references they cite and the underlying phenomena being exploited.

Ty for such a prompt response Gahd! I am fascinated by new state of the art methods. I have been reading a lot about superconductivity (also superfluidity). Room temperature solutions would be great to lower energy consumption from what I read. Resistance, as you know, in an electronic circuit can cause waste.

TX again!

Well, more accurately using a thermocouple to harvest work from the cooler nighttime air. Still. this anti-solar panel idea is kinda neat. Almost like they're going back to the roots that Lord Kelvin started with.

You see we need more of this, less of Companies spouting fossil fuel depency rhetoric through the generation to strangle any advancement a field that makes their pockets lighter.

Nice idea. I presume it won't work if there is cloud cover, but in areas with clear skies at night it could. However the temperature difference must be small compared to that available from a solar cell, seeing as that uses radiation emitted from the surface of the sun as the hot side. 

You see we need more of this, less of Companies spouting fossil fuel depency rhetoric through the generation to strangle any advancement a field that makes their pockets lighter.

I'm not planning to be derailed here with the talks of hydrocarbons and whatnot, but I should point out that geothermal is just another variation on this same kind of physics. There's plenty of ways to rob sequestered solar energy; hydrocarbons just happen to be a different link in that chain.

As for the paywall problem, I didn't find thatparticular DOI on arxiv, but there's other stuff from each of the names on the papers. Raman and Fan seem to be joined at the wrist. I'm sure if you dig and dig you'll be able to find it on one of the collections, but what's more important is the references they cite and the underlying phenomena being exploited.

Here's a list of their work including the papers not on arXiv.

http://www.aaswathraman.com/publications-2/