Science Forums

Why Did Zeus Give Away His Crush To Peleus

OverUnityDeviceUAP

• 2 weeks later...

422 page pdf? Ugh, lol...will try again over the weekend. Not now, after a few beverages out with my wife:(:(:(

Troy is a great movie. As is Greek Mythology, Nordic, Inca, Aztec, etc. I wish just 1...anybody back then would have figured out how to record events. Lol, Polaroid shot from when the ancient pyramids were constructed. Technologically impossible at the time, yes. Still I wish:)

422 page pdf? Ugh, lol...will try again over the weekend. Not now, after a few beverages out with my wife:( :( :(

Troy is a great movie. As is Greek Mythology, Nordic, Inca, Aztec, etc. I wish just 1...anybody back then would have figured out how to record events. Lol, Polaroid shot from when the ancient pyramids were constructed. Technologically impossible at the time, yes. Still I wish:)

Sorry Kardashev6, I usually mention that.

What Robert Graves did was to consolidate all the ancient writings about the different Greek myths from all available sources prior to 1900 (these are listed a, b, c, d, etc) and then goes on to describe them in the context of modern archeological knowledge (post 1850's, listed as 1, 2, 3 etc). What is missing from the pdf is the list of the sources for the first section that appeared between a, b, c and 1, 2, 3 in the Penguin Classic books..

Troy might be a great action movie but that wasn't what it was about.

A lot of the material in the Iliad is open to question, but Troy still scores low thanks to taking liberties with what evidence there is.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2008/aug/28/bradpitt.troy

Thank you for understanding & acknowledging why I may elect to have more time to for the pdf:). Yes, Hollywood (ref, Troy comment) usually do not get it correct...even after multiple attempts (in some cases).

I really need to get through that interesting, yet large, pdf doc before expressing a further opinion. I hope to be able to within a few days. Apologies it cannot be sooner:(

K6

Sorry Kardashev6, I usually mention that.

What Robert Graves did was to consolidate all the ancient writings about the different Greek myths from all available sources prior to 1900 (these are listed a, b, c, d, etc) and then goes on to describe them in the context of modern archeological knowledge (post 1850's, listed as 1, 2, 3 etc). What is missing from the pdf is the list of the sources for the first section that appeared between a, b, c and 1, 2, 3 in the Penguin Classic books..

Troy might be a great action movie but that wasn't what it was about.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2008/aug/28/bradpitt.troy

I wish I had more endurance...getting older has me off my, "A" game. I simply cannot read and retain. Not the fault of you or the author...is my own (medicines/ usually bring the early fatigue last few years).

Is there anyway you can summarize (more than you have)? I have tried three times but admit, I am not capable, start to finish, reading that pdf. I know my limitations. I am interested in the content though if possible reduced downward. If you already summized as you see fit, I am going to try and bite at it again over several weekends.

Ty for posting it. It is not a, "Kick to the curb" doc by any means...there is something very intriguing right away when you start off:)

Edited by Kardashev6

Is there anyway you can summarize (more than you have)? I have tried three times but admit, I am not capable, start to finish, reading that pdf. I know my limitations. I am interested in the content though if possible reduced downward. If you already summized as you see fit, I am going to try and bite at it again over several weekends.

I would suggest that you try to get second hand paperback copies of the books (there are 2 parts) or alternatively get an audiobook version. 

Otherwise just save the PDF to your PC and add the page you're up to to the end of the file name to keep track. It took me a month to read the paperbacks and the pdf.

Unfortunately this book is a compendium of all of the different recorded myths so it loses a lot if you summarise.

Gotcha. That makes perfect sense. I think I am going to take your advise. Perhaps morning coffee and incremental reading. Possibly print it out and highlight key points as I read. That should help in my retention level. I have short term memory issues at this point in life. Long term is fine but short term suffers.

Edit: meant to mention that trying to read it on my galaxy s7 phone probably does not help with eye fatigue. The computer screen and/or full page printouts should be better. Maybe even a tablet for bedtime reading.

Ty again!

Edited by Kardashev6