Science Forums

What's The Point Of Having A Dress Code Stricter Than Business Casual?

randomsoldier1337

Nowadays a lot of people like to fashion themselves in a way that is less traditional. You might see men wear make up or men and women coloring their hair some color that isn't naturally possible. Since society is so free, even among serious scholars (as I see in my department), what is the point of having a strict dress code?

I imagine one doesn't want someone showing up scantily clad or maybe there is a uniform requirement to represent a certain party or for a certain type of job but there doesn't seem to be much point for specifying such at social events in places such as conferences.

There's a lot of schools of thought on this topic.

One good example is the service industry where if you're not "branded" as an employee it's rather hard for any customers to know who to talk to. Granted, living in Canada most of the random people walking around the building supply stores know more about what's needed and where it is than the minimum wage highschool dropouts stocking the shelves...but I still need to talk to the people with the store branding on their tabbard to make a purchase. 

Construction and manufacturing jobs dress code is usually a form-follows-function thing.

In schools, it's probably a similar methodology as it's easier to spot "who should not be here" when they don't have the uniform.

As for social functions: Forbes did a bunch of articles on the post-#MeToo world that probably apply. Damage control and preventative maintenance is a thing....especially with WHICH departments and WHICH squeaky-wheel people in them probably fall into your alt-life preamble descriptions.

As an aside: There's a litany of markers there that flag for DSM-5 checks in those that "fashion themselves in a way that is less traditional." But most civilized societies tend to require them to volunteer for that sort of thing.