24 replies to this topic

#18 VictorMedvil

VictorMedvil

The Human Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2623 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 12:28 PM

You really put great effort and intellect into this thread. As you can tell by my name, I embrace Kardashev scale possibilities. I think my personal limit is 6. 1=local star. 2=local galaxy. 3=multiple galaxies simultaneous (my opinion of 3, as well as the following), 4=entire universe of galaxies. 5=multiple universes and finally 6=Top Dog, end of the line.

I sometimes ponder all the great voids out in the Cosmos. Wondering if perhaps a higher level Kardashev found an abundance of antimatter and then harvested the stars/galaxies within any particular void. I understand there is no observation evidence of antimatter/matter energy bursts from voids as we see them. Still, over billions of years of harvesting, perhaps the evidence has deteriorated beyond detection.

Anyway, great thread and GJ with all the supporting documentation and pics!

I doubt there has been a alien civilization that has reached Kardashev scale 2 much less the higher ones. I would assume most species's go extinct before that or don't expand enough to actually get that far. To say there is no evidence that within our volume of the universe we can see clearly of any mega-structures, but then again you wouldn't be able to see the star if there was something such as a dyson's sphere containing it. To say the Kardashev scale has big leaps in it of thousands and millions of years between different levels.

Edited by VictorMedvil, 04 October 2019 - 12:34 PM.

#19 Kardashev6

Kardashev6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 12:38 PM

I doubt there has been a alien civilization that has reached Kardashev scale 2 much less the higher ones. I would assume most species's go extinction before that or don't expand enough to actually get that far. To say there is no evidence that within our volume of the universe we can see clearly of any mega-structures.

I tend to agree with low odds of high level Kardashev...until...I start thinking of the enormous amount of time that has lapsed in our universe. I also understand your, "Great Filter" inference. Again, I simply believe so much time has lapsed that the odds become greater.

I also believe the Great Filter has prevented many rise and falls of civilizations but...I try to factor in multiple attempts. That is, if a civilization failed, my view is they rise again (after time and either biogenesis or abiogenesis). So, given the vast amount of stars...vast amount of time...multiple attempts (within a single planet)...I start raising my odds for higher level Kardashev's out there.

On your topic of Dyson Spheres directly. If they exist out there. Do you think multiple ones could be connected (daisy chained) somehow in theory? Or is the vast distance between stars to large and the material required for a connection would be non-feasible (not enough resources available locally)?

#20 VictorMedvil

VictorMedvil

The Human Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2623 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 12:41 PM

I tend to agree with low odds of high level Kardashev...until...I start thinking of the enormous amount of time that has lapsed in our universe. I also understand your, "Great Filter" inference. Again, I simply believe so much time has lapsed that the odds become greater.

I also believe the Great Filter has prevented many rise and falls of civilizations but...I try to factor in multiple attempts. That is, if a civilization failed, my view is they rise again (after time and either biogenesis or abiogenesis). So, given the vast amount of stars...vast amount of time...multiple attempts (within a single planet)...I start raising my odds for higher level Kardashev's out there.

On your topic of Dyson Spheres directly. If they exist out there. Do you think multiple ones could be connected (daisy chained) somehow in theory? Or is the vast distance between stars to large and the material required for a connection would be non-feasible (not enough resources available locally)?

There is enough material in the universe to daisy chain them but I doubt that anyone would take the time to do so as there would be no purpose in daisy chaining stars over that distance, but if we assume a trinary or binary system possibly.

Edited by VictorMedvil, 04 October 2019 - 12:49 PM.

#21 Kardashev6

Kardashev6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 01:07 PM

There is enough material in the universe to daisy chain them but I doubt that anyone would take the time to do so as there would be no purpose in daisy chaining stars over that distance, but if we assume a trinary or binary system possibly.

Ok, I think you nailed that one 100%. From a practical point of view, my daisy chain concept is silly with the exception of local binary, or larger, systems. A practical benefit may exist on that scale size.
TX

#22 VictorMedvil

VictorMedvil

The Human Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2623 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 09:04 PM

Today I am relatively unhappy, as my Beautiful Mega-structure has been coined a name without my permission a "Birch Planet" I just recently found this video on youtube that was created after my video on the subject that describes a Supermassive black hole dyson sphere as a "Birch Planet", This has pissed me off a bit, I don't like my creations being named something else as it is a "Super Massive Black Hole Death Star" not "Birch Planet". Paul Birch didn't do **** to make this device this was purely a creation by me, I wanted to clear this up.

Video in Question

https://youtu.be/ioKidcpkZN0?t=1416

The Accepted Name for such a Dyson sphere is now a "Shellworld" to step away from it being named after a crackpot named Paul Birch.

Approved Name = https://en.wikipedia...wiki/Shellworld

Edited by VictorMedvil, 29 June 2020 - 09:52 PM.

#23 ReCap

ReCap

Curious

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted Today, 08:52 AM

Today I am relatively unhappy, as my Beautiful Mega-structure has been coined a name without my permission a "Birch Planet" I just recently found this video on youtube that was created after my video on the subject that describes a Supermassive black hole dyson sphere as a "Birch Planet", This has pissed me off a bit, I don't like my creations being named something else as it is a "Super Massive Black Hole Death Star" not "Birch Planet". Paul Birch didn't do **** to make this device this was purely a creation by me, I wanted to clear this up.

Video in Question

https://youtu.be/ioKidcpkZN0?t=1416

The Accepted Name for such a Dyson sphere is now a "Shellworld" to step away from it being named after a crackpot named Paul Birch.

Approved Name = https://en.wikipedia...wiki/Shellworld

Don't be so entitled. You went to a worldbuilding site just to kick up a fuss because Penrose spheres and Birch planets, which have next to nought to do with your stuff, weren't called SMBH Death Stars. Trust me, when you enter your teenage and adult years and look back on your old website accounts, these moments will come back to haunt you.

#24 VictorMedvil

VictorMedvil

The Human Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2623 posts

Posted Today, 09:33 AM

Don't be so entitled. You went to a worldbuilding site just to kick up a fuss because Penrose spheres and Birch planets, which have next to nought to do with your stuff, weren't called SMBH Death Stars. Trust me, when you enter your teenage and adult years and look back on your old website accounts, these moments will come back to haunt you.

Well no it's just look at this forum and look really deep at the crank threads, we have a serious crank problem. I think that Birch was a crank and I don't want to give any of these cranks any thoughts that they are correct with their false beliefs. If you were on science forums you would understand this is a huge problem the problem of cranks, and I want to make a distinction between crank and non-crank. I have more technologies than Birch he was a crank with one technology being orbital rings in his entire life he only had one technology that makes him a crank on the grand scheme of things unlike Tesla. Personally, I don't care I don't want the classification of my beautiful SMBH Dyson Sphere weapon to be a Birch Planet. I am stopping this at the source before it becomes a issue.

Edited by VictorMedvil, Today, 10:33 AM.

#25 ReCap

ReCap

Curious

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted Today, 11:41 AM

Well no it's just look at this forum and look really deep at the crank threads, we have a serious crank problem. I think that Birch was a crank and I don't want to give any of these cranks any thoughts that they are correct with their false beliefs. If you were on science forums you would understand this is a huge problem the problem of cranks, and I want to make a distinction between crank and non-crank. I have more technologies than Birch he was a crank with one technology being orbital rings in his entire life he only had one technology that makes him a crank on the grand scheme of things unlike Tesla. Personally, I don't care I don't want the classification of my beautiful SMBH Dyson Sphere weapon to be a Birch Planet. I am stopping this at the source before it becomes a issue.

You're going to look back at this discussion and you're going to cringe. How can you say this without smirking? Birch invented something completely different and you're here calling him a crank because his invention goes around a black hole and is roughly spherical. Just stop and delete your comments because otherwise they will probably be embarrassing your future self.