Science Forums

Humpback Whales Turn Carnivore

fahrquad

A Humpback Whale in Monterey Bay, California was caught noshing on a Sea Lion 2 days ago. This paradigm shift in their dietary habits may be an indicator of the overall health of the Ocean.  :ideamaybenot: 

S112392217.jpg

Details in article.

https://www.simplemost.com/a-rare-photograph-shows-a-sea-lion-trapped-in-the-mouth-of-a-humpback-whale/

Edited by fahrquad

A Humpback Whale in Monterey Bay, California was caught noshing on a Sea Lion 2 days ago. This paradigm shift in their dietary habits may be an indicator of the overall health of the Ocean.  :ideamaybenot: 

S112392217.jpg

Details in article.

https://www.simplemost.com/a-rare-photograph-shows-a-sea-lion-trapped-in-the-mouth-of-a-humpback-whale/

I think this is nonsense. The report I read said that the sea lion got into its mouth by accident and that the whale left it open when it resubmerged, to allow the sea lion to escape.

I very much doubt this whale could eat a sea lion even if it wanted to.

I think this is nonsense. The report I read said that the sea lion got into its mouth by accident and that the whale left it open when it resubmerged, to allow the sea lion to escape.

I very much doubt this whale could eat a sea lion even if it wanted to.

Yes, it is nonsense.  I was having a bit of fun with a legitimate news item on a dull day.  The article said the whale didn't swallow the Sea Lion, and that Humpbacks have an esophagus the diameter of a grapefruit or small melon.

Edited by fahrquad

Yes, it is nonsense.  I was having a bit of fun with a legitimate news item on a dull day.  The article said the whale didn't swallow the Sea Lion, and that Humpbacks have an esophagus the diameter of a grapefruit or small melon.

So I’m a victim of Poe’s Law, then.....

I suppose so.  Trolling is no fun without a real whale of a tale.  :winknudge:

ADD: Plankton and Krill are animals so Humpbacks are already carnivores, so my post wasn't too far from the truth.  Cool photo though.

Edited by fahrquad